PS1/2 best method of playing backups on a slim PS2?

bras

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so I've tried doing my own research on this, but the only info I could find seemed pretty outdated, so I'd like to get some more up-to-date info on this...

what exactly is the best way to run backups on a slim PS2 with Free McBoot? apparently, the absolute best method is to load them off of an HDD, but that seems to be exclusive to the fat PS2. so if playing on a slim is my only option, then which would be better in terms of speed and general compatibility? burnt discs, or loading the games off of a PC over the network? and if discs are the better option, then what brand should I use? I've got a few blank 4.7GB Sony DVD+Rs laying around if those would work, but if not then I would like to know which brand works best for PS2 games.

thanks in advance!

YOUCANTSTOPME

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Best way for Slim is modchip, but these are not easy to install, and using FMCB is so easy.

With FMCB your games must be patched via "ESR patcher" before you burn them. Easiest method with near perfect compatibility.

There's also the option of USB, but for many games it will lag because it is USB 1.1, which is slower than the disc drive.

There is a hard drive hack for certain Slims, but this is beyond the expertise of most people to install.

Last edited by YOUCANTSTOPME,

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
USB port on the PS2 sucks since it uses USB 1.1. It's slow. It has a low compatibility due to that speed limit.
You're better off using modchip and burning DVDs. DVDs are really cheap.
Or just use what @zfreeman suggested.

D

Deleted User

Some Slims are capable of loading HDDs with this kit. Soldering required.

Looks like this would need a "DMS4 Pro type chip with acompatible BIOS OS." and further instructions on what all that is. Is there any place with more information as to what that is/how it ties together?

bras

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the replies, everyone!
seems like just burning games with ESR patching would be my best option then, since I definitely don't have the skills to attempt any kind of soldering on my PS2, nor the cash to pay someone to do it for me, ha ha.

some older threads I've read mentioned that Verbatim is the best brand to use for burning PS2 games. is this still true, or is there now a better brand that I should buy instead?

Reactions: Alexander1970

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

YOUCANTSTOPME

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The PS2 from my experience is really good at reading burned media. I wouldn't put too much thought into it. Just don't buy the absolute bottom of the barrel. Gamecubes on the other hand...

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you can install the "official" HDD kit (for scph-700xx) that's the best compatibility option, for both commercial games and homebrews

Else there's this new product, PS2NetBox, that takes a SATA or IDE disk and connects it via Ethernet. It's promising, works on every PS2 with Ethernet without soldering, and is simpler to manage (also connects to PC via usb, drag and drop isos). But it's a completely new device (not compatible with any software that expects the official HDD system, only OPL and PopStarter), costs 60 dollars, and long term support is very questionable given the exact words of its designer...

Else if you're fine with an always-on SMB 1 server (in windows by default this practically means full LAN remote disk access, research "disable administrative shares" - tried yesterday using a Pi 1 connected directly to the console and had stability issues) and some lag, that's a possible option with compatibility not too worse than HDD

All of the above need FreeMcBoot, or a swap magic coder/action replay disc, or a modchip with USB boot support/an OPL disc to run OPL in the first place

tiduscrying

that butt...
Trophies
Website
tiduscrying.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
If you can install the "official" HDD kit (for scph-700xx) that's the best compatibility option, for both commercial games and homebrews

Else there's this new product, PS2NetBox, that takes a SATA or IDE disk and connects it via Ethernet. It's promising, works on every PS2 with Ethernet without soldering, and is simpler to manage (also connects to PC via usb, drag and drop isos). But it's a completely new device (not compatible with any software that expects the official HDD system, only OPL and PopStarter), costs 60 dollars, and long term support is very questionable given the exact words of its designer...

Else if you're fine with an always-on SMB 1 server (in windows by default this practically means full LAN remote disk access, research "disable administrative shares" - tried yesterday using a Pi 1 connected directly to the console and had stability issues) and some lag, that's a possible option with compatibility not too worse than HDD

All of the above need FreeMcBoot, or a swap magic coder/action replay disc, or a modchip with USB boot support/an OPL disc to run OPL in the first place
I honestly had no idea the PS2NetBox was a thing. It looks pretty neat. I've been using the USB ports on my Slim for awhile now and hate the stuttering, but I still use it because I was afraid of wearing down my laser. I remember reading eons ago that burnt discs put more of a strain on the laser than normal ones, but I don't know if that's entirely true or not.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
May I suggest swapmagic? I remember that being very popular back in the day. Also, the dvd media can differ between console versions because of the laser used. Mine read -R really well and others would us +R. The one constant was, yes, don’t waste your time with RW’s.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I remember reading eons ago that burnt discs put more of a strain on the laser than normal ones, but I don't know if that's entirely true or not.
An -R disc is harder on the lens than a -ROM, and RW ones are much worse, yes (the contrast between 1s and 0s is inherently less, so laser power will be turned up on any drive with automatic gain - everything since 1995 basically)
Slow writing speed helps a little, quality discs help a lot more, not having a bad writer (keep reading) is critical

PS2 Slim optical drives are widely available and cheap (for now), though!

The real problem with PS2s is that models from roughly 39xxx to 70xxx included have a buggy mechacon (plenty of debates on whether this is by accident or choice; but when Sony was sued the problem quickly disappeared from later models, for some reason).
This is the reason it's often said that "modchips kill lasers", actually it can happen with 100% legal home movie DVDs, or even if the power/reset button is hit at just the wrong moment! (and that's why it went to court)
So, when the mechacon crashes (due to a low quality disc, wrong error correction data, or even non-disc related reasons), it's likely to burn out the focus and tracking movements for the lens (and on some fats, if you're unlucky, the amplifier chip that's between those and the mechacon), trying to run them at full power...

Some workarounds were made: the diode/resistor type that lowers power all the time (bad), or the PIC that turns off the console when the lens power goes too far up (proven and solid... if you find potential random shutdowns acceptable)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wouldn't Sony brand be a good choice for CDs?
Not really (without actual testing of the batch), they haven't made their own blank discs in a very long time

Reactions: tiduscrying

bras

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
glad this is still getting some replies! that PS2NetBox thing looks interesting, especially for the price, even though 60 bucks is still a bit much for me to spend right now. something to consider, at least.

wasn't aware that RW discs were no good for PS2 games, so I'll keep that in mind. just mentioned the DVD+R discs I had lying around in case they might actually be viable, but kinda figured I'd end up having to go out and buy some different ones, ha ha. can't even remember what they were used for, thought it might've been Wii games but turns out those were Verbatim DVD-Rs... and I'm not sure if I have any more of those lying around the house.

not sure how much a Swap Magic would cost, or even where to buy one. would it be cheaper than paying someone to do soldering on my slim? I'm assuming yes, but it'd be nice to know for sure.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
not sure how much a Swap Magic would cost, or even where to buy one. would it be cheaper than paying someone to do soldering on my slim? I'm assuming yes, but it'd be nice to know for sure.

10 to 50 (ripoff) depending on the seller, note that a good chip has more features and it's more convenient, and some disassembly is still needed the first time to block the disc cover sensors

As all original discs, Swap Magic is also region locked (not what you then run with it), luckily for you the Americsn version is usually cheaper

tiduscrying

that butt...
Trophies
Website
tiduscrying.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
glad this is still getting some replies! that PS2NetBox thing looks interesting, especially for the price, even though 60 bucks is still a bit much for me to spend right now. something to consider, at least.

wasn't aware that RW discs were no good for PS2 games, so I'll keep that in mind. just mentioned the DVD+R discs I had lying around in case they might actually be viable, but kinda figured I'd end up having to go out and buy some different ones, ha ha. can't even remember what they were used for, thought it might've been Wii games but turns out those were Verbatim DVD-Rs... and I'm not sure if I have any more of those lying around the house.

I've honestly never thought about hardmodding my system. I've been running FreeMcBoot ever since I got my PS2 Slim (got one to hack it, haha) and pretty much exclusively used DVD-R (not +R, unfortunately) burnt discs for a few years. Eventually I had some spare HDDs laying around and decided to start using OPL for USB backups for the reasons I mentioned above. To be honest though, the more I look at that PS2NetBox the more I kind of want to eventually splurge one on. Maybe after I get the new EZFlash Omega. It's really wild that things like the PS2 and GBA are still getting new mods in 2018.

I remember doing pretty extensive research on the best methods available to me that were cost effective and determined FCMB was good enough for me. I know having to patch game files with ESR before writing them is probably not the most convenient ever, and from what I remember it doesn't work for every single game out there, but I'd still recommend it over a modchip. Especially since ESR backups can be NTSC-J, which is nice. PAL games won't work though, which is a bit of a bummer if you're looking to play some European exclusives.

Last edited by tiduscrying,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1