Best handheld you liked or owned?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Skyhigh_, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Skyhigh_
    OP

Skyhigh_ GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    United States
    I owned many systems throughout the years though i never really developed a liking to an extent for some older retro systems like some others have.

However i always loved my gameboy color/gameboy advance its probably the 2 main systems that i gathered play time more than any other console or handheld i ever owned.

When the gameboy advance launches and even some years after it i still found myself playing it often even though i had things like an n64, ps2, gamecube etc..

When the gameboy advance sp launched i though it was a fantastic device considering i always had to play a gba in daylight or with that worm light to see properly. However i never really liked the gba sp because of its size the regular gba was just more comfortable to hold and play for me.

When the psp came out it was also a big hit for me specially when the option to play older retro games and gba was possible as well.

What handheld system has been your favorite/most liked?

2. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    we dont have much of a choice... its GBA, DS, 3DS, PSP & Vita really.

ill go with DS too. so much choice in the games tho.

3. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I'd say PSP. Games were fantastic (felt like home console type) and you could hack the handheld to play tons of other consoles.

Although, since I don't like small screens I never really enjoyed PSP to the fullest.

4. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    What about the Sega Game Gear, Sega Nomad, NEC Turbo Express, Atari Lynx, Wonderswan, Neo Geo Pocket, NGage, and a few lesser known consoles.

I loved the Nomad (hand held Sega Genesis), but it had a horrible battery life, and rechargeable batteries have come a long way since. I played my DS the most because of the R4.

cvskid likes this.
  5. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    they were okay but kinda shit to be fair. you missed out on gameboy. even that was kinda shit.

6. WiiCube_2013

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    The screen of Game Boy was at times hard to see and to top it off, it only had two colours. Green and black.

7. hundshamer

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    I would agree with most, but the Game Gear, the Nomad and the Turbo Express were ahead of their time. The GG and Nomad were plagued by battery consumption. The TG-E was the first 16-bit handheld (Nintendo was still pushing OG Gameboy variations). The Nomad was a handheld Sega Genesis, and it predated the GBA.

8. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    poor virtual boy, gets no love

9. hundshamer

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    I'm not sure I would consider the VB a handheld console.

10. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    The PSP has a small screen?

It's a hard choice for me because of all of the good games on each and homebrew thrown in. I have a GBC, GBA SP, DSL, PSP x 2, 3DS XL, N3DS XL and carts/CFW for each. I have really enjoyed the 3DS but still go play (or want to play) GBA for Metroid, Zelda, Golden Sun, Mario, etc. The PSP is great for console quality games and POPS. If I get rid of any system it will probably be my GBC because I only ever emulate it but I love my Mr. Flash 64M and GBC on GBA SP tends to cause problems if you accidentally hit the cart.

11. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    not really portable if the console dies, cause you can play only three minutes due to battery consumption. im thinking of the Nomad by the way.

12. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    nintendo sold it as a portable, it was kinda designed as a portable...
    it uses 6 AA batteries, has it is own screen, cartridges are not giant...

you can take it to a coffee shop and use its ability only available at public places to make you look ridicolous and weird

13. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    Faceheld(TM).

14. hundshamer

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    I did say that... I also stated ahead of it's time as there are batteries that can handle the power needed.

HANDheld. Not to be confused with portable system. There are PSX revisions that are considered portable.

Exactly.

15. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
    Gameboy Micro. Small, but perfectly formed.

nxwing likes this.
  16. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    GBA or PSP...
    For nostalgia, I pick GBA.
    Even tho I loved the Colour.

17. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Even though I have probably played my DS more, I would probably have to go with my GBA. Since the GBC lifespan was relatively short, I was still able to enjoy a few games that I missed, mainly, Pokemon Silver. I loved all the Super Nintendo games that got ported over. All the Marios, Zelda, Yoshi's Island... You know, the good stuff.

18. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Probably the PSP for me. Had a huge library, plus basically the entire PS1 library when hacked and it made an excellent portable emulator machine.

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  19. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    I love my GP2X. Had the original model and stupidly sold it a few years ago. More recently I bought an F200 and it's fantastic. I've also had a DS Lite which I sold at the same time as the GP2X, and now have a N3DS which I love.

20. WiiCube_2013

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    For someone that's used to play on the TV, it is.