Best guide to Backing up x360 games

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Foxstar, Nov 26, 2007.

Nov 26, 2007
  1. Foxstar
    OP

Member Foxstar GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Hey all,

I have googled quite a bit and have only found a few guides on how to back up a x360 game and they all seem to be outdated or don't provide the information i want. I basically just want to know the easiest way to back up a game and how to go about patching it properly (Stealth etc.). The recent bannings and theory of MS detecting bad burns rather than the firmware itself has gotten me scared from using scene releases.

Does anyone know any good recent tutorials that show how to rip and patch?

Thanks.

EDIT: Just read the thread title and realized that it is a bit misleading and people will probably think that i have found the best tutorial......sorry.

2. Takrin

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    best way of backing it up is by having a kreon enabled drive, your lucky your in uk, its a bitch to find in the us, not to mention ebay charging you about 60-70 dollars for a drive which usually sells for 20-30 dollars. look up kreon drives i cant tell you where to get the firmware but it shouldnt be hard to find
    drives that can have kreon are samsung drives look for
    SH-D162C, SH-D162D, SH-D163A, SH-D163B

next thing you need is "Xbox Backup Creator", basicly its self taught software lets you rip complete iso and burn it with a few clicks just google it and it should come up fast. just choose your drive read disc, and burn at around 1x-4x and your done (also can get something called "Xdvdmulleter" to check if everything is fine like crc.)

theres also a swap method where you use the emergency eject button on a drive or dismantle a drive and swap the cd (either way you have to swap it without hitting eject) to do this you can use any drive you want but some may require you to open the drive to swap, also requires use of "wxRipper" requires you to have mulleter and or xbox backup creator this method is kinda inefficent since it requires you to have the security files which are illegal to distribute and only can be obtained using 360 drives or kreon drives you might find some ss files and stuff but to be stealth you need SS, PFI, DMI files to be present or your Xbox live can be banned, swap method was made for xtreme firmware, ixtreme wont boot games that doesnt have ss files

finally the reason behind the recent live banning is due to release group injecting wrong or corrupted ss files, IE call of duty 4, had bad ss and dmi files which ms can detect quite easily. Ixtreme wont boot non stealth games but it only checks to see if the ss is present so bad ss games will boot fine and lead to bans or not function properly, so long as you make backups of your originals using kreon drives you shouldnt worry about it, only people at risk are the ones who download games and think its a good idea to play live.

holy crap i should have just written a tutorial, just search for kreon drives, thats the easiest and best way to backup your valuables. oh theres also a way to backup games by hooking up samsung 360 drive with hacked firmware to a pc to backup but you need a conductivity kit + sata port or a sata + 360 cuddled next to your pc giving the drive power

*Edit*
    Ixtreme is said to be 100% stealth, but like the author says "Use on Xbox Live at own risk"

3. Alastair

Member Alastair GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Oh dear. [​IMG]

4. Takrin

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    oops dont know what i was thinking, not sure about australia, just search your local stores or online stores for the drives.

5. Foxstar
    OP

Member Foxstar GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    ha ha, yeah i was like....UK??? But yeah thanks for the info. I might look into getting a kreon drive or even trying the swap method, although getting the correct SS etc sounds annoying so might not bother. My drives Hitachi so i can't use the other method.

Cheers.