Best Graphics Card?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Bill Gates03, Feb 9, 2007.

Feb 9, 2007

Best Graphics Card? by Bill Gates03 at 9:58 PM (973 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Bill Gates03
    OP

Newcomer Bill Gates03 Member

United States
    I am just wondering what is the best graphics card?

ATI
    Single
    CrossFire

nVidia
    Single
    SLI

What do you think? How expensive are they?

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I assume for this you mean gaming rather than high performance-opengl stuff for CAD and the like, go for PCIe as well (assuming your baord takes it) as AGP would be not much better than burning money as well.

In terms of right this second something based on Nvidia's Geforce 8800 GTX's running in SLI is probably the best (ATI's answer is not far off though) but that would be stupid money (maybe $600 a card pre tax if you pushed it).

Have a read of this though:
    http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/02/06/the_b...r_the_money_uk/

As for myself directx10 does not interest me (there is nothing out there for it) which kicks the 8800 from the list so you can (and I did) pick up some fairly high end directx9 graphics cards on the cheap (2x Gainward 7900 GS). I have not done much testing but at stock settings the run oblivion with with 2xaa and 1024x768 and with fairly nice settings for popup.

Bear in mind that cheaper models can also be overclocked somewhat bringing performance well up:
    http://uk.theinquirer.net/?article=34406

3. superkrm

Member superkrm GBAtemp Fan

United States
    check out www.techreport.com and anandtech.com as well for reviews and comparison charts

i say 8800gts is a pretty good high end deal

u can them for 350 a pop american dinero

4. H8TR

Member H8TR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Currently, two 8800GTX's in SLI are the most powerful but you would probably be in the red. When R600 ATI cards come out, they are suppose be even more powerful but they will draw more power. They are expected to be the same price as the 8800GTX. The best and most powerful combo you can probably get will be 8600GT in SLI. Those cards will go for 160-180 USD when they are released.

5. Bill Gates03
    OP

United States
    Why would the 8600GT's in SLI be more powerful than 8800GTX's? And cost less..? Typo?

So these ATI R600's are supposed to be very good? How much will 2xR600 in CrossFire cost?

Another thing I have always been wandering, does 100 watts of more power cost that much more in your electric bill? Since you need almost 1KW PS to run all these grfx card and stuff now, is that something you would need to consider taking into consideration?

6. H8TR

Member H8TR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    They probably wont be the most powerful, but they will probably have the highest FPS:$ ratio. Would you rather get 6 video games for $50 or 9 for $100 (not 12 video games for $100), that sorta thing.

7. superkrm

United States
    simply 2 8800gtx in sli will be the most powerful atm

8800gts in sli is a lot cheaper and close enough in power

as far as the other 8 family cards and r600's, i havent seen official pricing

im more of a more bang for the buck kind of guy myself so i will be waiting for those 8600's or a price drop in the 8800gts

8. Bill Gates03
    OP

United States
    Ok thanks for clearing that up!

But what about the power issue? If I buy a video card that uses 100 watts more power, how much money am I talking a month in electrical bill increase?

9. superkrm

United States
    ur killing me

thats a hard one

depends if u r using one of the smartmeters or not

but naturally if ur drawing more power ur bill is going to go up

but i doubt it will be a big increase

unless u planning on running those cards 24/7

but if u have a smart meter u probably wont see an increase at all if you play at certain times of day

in other words

I don't know [​IMG]

10. shemmy

Newcomer shemmy Member

United Kingdom
    the power issue isn't so much about what it's drawing from your mains, but more about what it's drawing from your PC's PSU. if you plan on running a cutting edge cart like the ones posted above you need a very good name-branded PSU to be sure they get enough power to actually work. something from antec or tagan or another quality brand will be needed. i'm sure people will chip in with specific models from their own experiences.

11. Bill Gates03
    OP

United States
    Ok, so mainly just make sure you have an adequate Power Supply. Does anyone here produce enough heat from their system to heat their room?

12. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    100 Watts more power running 12 hours a day for a year (probably the lifetime of a high end graphics card).

100x12x365=438000=438kWh
    @10 cents per kWh (a bit excessive perhaps)
    $43.8 US increase for that year.

As for the main topic the 8800 GTS models may be nice and all but a decent CPU should serve to offset some of that and I would wait until some of the next directx10 compatible cards appear if you have to go down the route.

Oh a decent PSU is a must for anything this high end and yeah my machines go some way to replacing the radiator.

13. fischju_original

Banned fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

United States
    yes, the 8800 series is the best right now, but i would wait for the 8600 to be released (in a couple of months)

14. nloding

Member nloding GBAtemp Fan

United States
    8800GTS for the money, 8800GTX for performance. I have one 8800GTX (wish I had two in SLI) and it's unbelievable. Too bad my proc is dying and my system occasionally locks up.

Both SLI and Crossfire just aren't worth it right now. Only SLI is remotely worth it, but only if you go with two 7900GTX's or two 8800GTX's. Don't go dual- or quad-card yet. They are bragging rights, but performance only goes up 20-30% (I know from experience). So 2x the money for 20% gain -- doesn't add up.

Depending on what you're doing, nVidia or ATI ... if you are going to be gaming 80% of the time or more, go nVidia for sure -- they are the best for gaming, but aren't the best for media/video. If you're going to be mostly doing multimedia with some gaming, go with ATI.

However, right now, don't spend more than $80-$110 on a DirectX 9.0c card because DX10 is right around the corner. So either go all in on an 8800GTS/GTX or get, like, a 7600 to pass the time.