Best GBA cartridge for ROMs and Web browsing?

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Zizak, Dec 11, 2008.

Dec 11, 2008
  1. Zizak
    OP

Newcomer Zizak Newbie

United States
    Yes, I did a search, and couldn't find anything that matched the questions I have [​IMG] .

I have an R4, and want a Web browser expansion. But I also want to be able to play a few GBA roms. I've looked at the ezflash 3 in 1, heard some good reviews (I could care less about rumble, to be honest) , but I've been turned off by the 'battery saved' function. One of the major reasons I want a GBA cartridge is so I can save my games indefinitely. I've lost a lot of hard work due to poor battery life [​IMG] .

The R4 boots slot 2 devices, so that's no problem. And if the save with battery function can't be circumvented, that's cool too, as long as there's a way to backup the save every once in a while, in the event the battery goes out, then change the battery and reload the save. If even that's not possible, oh well, it's my loss and I'll just have to deal with it.

In the honest opinions of those at GBAtemp, what would you do? Would you go for the Ezflash 3 in 1?

And I know this is the GBA section, but would anyone happen to know if DSorganize can use the ezflash 3 in 1 for web expansion? Google is not forthcoming. I can ask elsewhere if you all don't know (no flaming XD ) .

Edit: Continued searches have turned up gbaldr, a program that backups save files for the ezflash 3 in 1.

2. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    There are NO gba flashcarts that support web browsing which is mostly a DS function, only those that are gba expansion carts have support for web browsing. There are some hacks that make some carts work as a web browser ram cache, but screws it for everything else, not worth it.

The 3in1 is one of those that supports web browsing.

Since you want to play games indefinitely, stop being cheap and get a real gba flashcart and a 3in1 for web browsing. There is no real way around it.

battery life?, thats a moot point to bring up, 1 year is plenty for some anyways. 20 bucks ($20/356 days is less than 6 cents a day) for a new 3in1 is well in range for those to not really care about the battery.

3. Zizak
    OP

Newcomer Zizak Newbie

United States
    I was concerned about battery life more for the loss of time put into getting up to that save game. 6 months of playing harvest moon is a lot to lose because of one tiny component like a battery. But it doesn't matter now, because I found out that it can in fact backup save games, so no worries [​IMG] .

And I meant web browsing as in the expansion for NDS browsing. I've been having problems with the memory overloading too often to be useful without the expansion.

4. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    then backup your saves to the microSD at least once a week if your that worried about losing the saves in memory that way you reduce your loses to about a weeks worth of time.

me personally I back it up to a file the moment I am done playing so I only lose about 1 day's worth at the most.

5. triften

Newcomer triften Advanced Member

United States
    It's not moot when the 3-in-1 is shipped with a dead battery. And I'm not the only one: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=124301

Now I'm stuck with ordering a bunch of soldering crap or spending the exact same $25 I just spent for a new 3-in-1 that likely has the same problem....

6. Pliskron

Banned Pliskron Banned

United States
    The 3in1 is pretty much your only option if you want to use oprea.

7. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    don't you have any friends into electronics?

the soldering equipment needed to replace a battery is rather basic.