Best games published by Square Enix

Which is your favourite Square Enix game?

• Final Fantasy series

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dragon Quest series

• Kingdom Hearts series

• Ogre Battle series

• Chocobo series

• Chrono Trigger

• Other (please state the game published by Square Enix, but the games made by Taito, Activision and E

• Total voters

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't like every Final Fantasy but I loved Chrono Trigger.
Hate Dragon Quest *holds up flame shield*
Don't know about Kingdom Hearts yet since I've only played the GBA one so far.
Haven't even heard of the other two series.

I know Vagrant Story got a 40 from Famitsu back when their perfect scores actually meant something, but I don't know anyone who's played it.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The earlier Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games were not published by Square Enix. Are those games included in the vote or is it only games released after the merger?

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Overlord Nadrian said:
antonkan said:
Charmandersrule said:
Super mario RPG

It was published by Nintendo rather than Square Enix!
Actually, they cooperated to make the game.

Square may have developed it, but according to Wikipedia it was Nintendo that published the game. Although, as we all know, Wikipedia is usually wrong.

Jaems

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
it only takes a look at my signature to realize what I think about KH.

Final Fantasy, even if a good chunk of them were very "meh."
Please, more fucking love for Ogre Battle.

And mario5555 is the best.
Einhander is an amazingly good (and hard) shooter that I remember spending hours on with my PS1.
Vagrant Story... man, the best god damn game Square has ever put out.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Depravo said:
The earlier Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games were not published by Square Enix. Are those games included in the vote or is it only games released after the merger?

I think it's fair to assume that games published by Square and/or Enix should count too.
They both still hold their names and continue to make games they used to make.

What I wouldn't count would be calling Westwood Studio's games part of EA's.

Jaems

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
KingdomBlade said:
Tetsuya Nomura did some of the FF's too you know.
Well, he didn't "do" them. He was strictly the Character Designer for most of them starting at VII.
Kingdom Hearts was the first game he truly had full control over, and it was also the title that showed his progressively worsening art style.

The only Final Fantasy game I'm sure he's directing, writing, blah blah is Versus XIII which isn't out yet.

BAHIM Z 360

B-but I'm not a new member :(
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
you guys are sick!!
frown.gif

how could you not mention xenogears!?
ohmy.gif

M

mario5555

BAHIM Z 360 said:
you guys are sick!!
frown.gif

ohmy.gif

Disclamer: I'm going to play devil's advocate here so if I offend you I apologize in advance.

Behind Crono Cross as one of their most crappy efforts is Xenogears.

Why?!? You might ask. I'll give you a few reasons off of the top of my head.

Convoluted, confusing story. Too long winded and drug out, actually the entire Xeno-saga (no pun intended) was too EPIC for it's own good. (I wrote some posts ages ago called "The Cardinal Sins of RPG's" and that was one of them) The story was too massive to be able to be told effectively in this particular medium by a storyteller who needed to learn about the economy of storytelling. Especially when you can't tell an effective story over a period of 50-60 hours.

When someone says this is part 5 of a 6 part game and it's the first game released, you know you're in trouble. Even more so when said person (due to outside influences and other factors) has to smash the last part of the game into the second disc due to budget constraints, time management issues, and many other factors we'll never know about.

But it was enough that the creators left Square to form Monolithsoft and create the spiritual successor Xenosaga which was originally to cover the first part of the storyline's trilogy and only even got around to doing PART 1 (of said trilogy) over 3 games for cryin' out loud.

That game series is the equivalent of a house that is a "money pit".

Now don't get me wrong, the mechanics of each game are solid, the battle engines are good (with the exception of Xenosaga 2) but you usually play an RPG for the story, I guess it would have helped if I had played Crono Cross and Xenogears sooner in my life.

I played Xeno last summer after owning it for almost 8 years, and tried to play Crono Cross 2 years ago and having owned since it came out (I bought it on release, as I did with every Square game when it came out back then, except for the FF games, which I waited on or got the PC versions when available or got after they were cheaper)

That being said I can't understand the myth and legend that the Xeno games seemed to have amassed over the years, I understand people buy into the worlds created for them, but almost all of that material is outside of the game or what is mentioned is shown very briefly in game, I would probably respect it more if they had broken it up into digestible chunks that made sense, but this was not so.

If they had done that and made it more comprehensible and accessible the game could have been a smash hit for Namco and Monolithsoft, but people bought Xenogears in its original release and reprint years later because of that myth.

Xenosaga 1 sold because people wanted a new high quality RPG that wasn't FF and were pleased, but the storyline that was very deep and unaccessible (15 minute cut scenes as a prime example) for the non-fans didn't go down well, pair that will a crummy and ill-conceived battle engine for Xenosaga 2 and a lot of the fans left, only the diehards and those willing to stay the course to the end and give it another chance picked up Xenosaga 3, but even then that sold way below what Namco expected and wanted to see.

So back to my point why do I dislike Xenogears so much, because it can be a confusing, overly wrought mess of story, coupled with a slash and burn second disc that was cheaply done and without nearly enough quality to warrant the amount of praise the game gets. I know I'm repeating a lot of what I just stated, but it bears repeating.

I could go on about how Square ruined perfectly good series of games like the Musashi games (and their original plans to have a game focus on the heroes of Japanese history, which is something they were originally planning), Parasite Eve, the Mana games, and others, but I won't.

I'm just sad that after the Spirits Within debacle that they had to tighten the belt, quit being the creator of innovative, exciting products, that people used to love and enjoy to a shell of their former glory who pump out FF after FF and numerous DQ games after they were forced to merge since they put all of their money into Square pictures, which effectively tanked with the movie's failure.

I recently finished FF12 and while enjoyable and innovative, it felt like something was missing in the overall story mainly because it didn't focus on one particular character and tried to be a character piece for all of the characters which IMO hurt it, and I can easily say the same for Xenogears and Crono Cross, too diluted, not focused equaling a weak product overall.

Kinda makes me glad in a way they never did make sequels to some of those games I mentioned in my first post, because I don't think they would be able to live up the greatness that those games had, and honestly I think that one of the biggest shames of all ruining the fond memories that people have of those great games...

BAHIM Z 360

B-but I'm not a new member :(
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
mario5555 said:
BAHIM Z 360 said:
you guys are sick!!
frown.gif

ohmy.gif

Disclamer: I'm going to play devil's advocate here so if I offend you I apologize in advance.

Behind Crono Cross as one of their most crappy efforts is Xenogears.

Why?!? You might ask. I'll give you a few reasons off of the top of my head.

Convoluted, confusing story. Too long winded and drug out, actually the entire Xeno-saga (no pun intended) was too EPIC for it's own good. (I wrote some posts ages ago called "The Cardinal Sins of RPG's" and that was one of them) The story was too massive to be able to be told effectively in this particular medium by a storyteller who needed to learn about the economy of storytelling. Especially when you can't tell an effective story over a period of 50-60 hours.

When someone says this is part 5 of a 6 part game and it's the first game released, you know you're in trouble. Even more so when said person (due to outside influences and other factors) has to smash the last part of the game into the second disc due to budget constraints, time management issues, and many other factors we'll never know about.

But it was enough that the creators left Square to form Monolithsoft and create the spiritual successor Xenosaga which was originally to cover the first part of the storyline's trilogy and only even got around to doing PART 1 (of said trilogy) over 3 games for cryin' out loud.

That game series is the equivalent of a house that is a "money pit".

Now don't get me wrong, the mechanics of each game are solid, the battle engines are good (with the exception of Xenosaga 2) but you usually play an RPG for the story, I guess it would have helped if I had played Crono Cross and Xenogears sooner in my life.

I played Xeno last summer after owning it for almost 8 years, and tried to play Crono Cross 2 years ago and having owned since it came out (I bought it on release, as I did with every Square game when it came out back then, except for the FF games, which I waited on or got the PC versions when available or got after they were cheaper)

That being said I can't understand the myth and legend that the Xeno games seemed to have amassed over the years, I understand people buy into the worlds created for them, but almost all of that material is outside of the game or what is mentioned is shown very briefly in game, I would probably respect it more if they had broken it up into digestible chunks that made sense, but this was not so.

If they had done that and made it more comprehensible and accessible the game could have been a smash hit for Namco and Monolithsoft, but people bought Xenogears in its original release and reprint years later because of that myth.

Xenosaga 1 sold because people wanted a new high quality RPG that wasn't FF and were pleased, but the storyline that was very deep and unaccessible (15 minute cut scenes as a prime example) for the non-fans didn't go down well, pair that will a crummy and ill-conceived battle engine for Xenosaga 2 and a lot of the fans left, only the diehards and those willing to stay the course to the end and give it another chance picked up Xenosaga 3, but even then that sold way below what Namco expected and wanted to see.

So back to my point why do I dislike Xenogears so much, because it can be a confusing, overly wrought mess of story, coupled with a slash and burn second disc that was cheaply done and without nearly enough quality to warrant the amount of praise the game gets. I know I'm repeating a lot of what I just stated, but it bears repeating.

I could go on about how Square ruined perfectly good series of games like the Musashi games (and their original plans to have a game focus on the heroes of Japanese history, which is something they were originally planning), Parasite Eve, the Mana games, and others, but I won't.

I'm just sad that after the Spirits Within debacle that they had to tighten the belt, quit being the creator of innovative, exciting products, that people used to love and enjoy to a shell of their former glory who pump out FF after FF and numerous DQ games after they were forced to merge since they put all of their money into Square pictures, which effectively tanked with the movie's failure.

I recently finished FF12 and while enjoyable and innovative, it felt like something was missing in the overall story mainly because it didn't focus on one particular character and tried to be a character piece for all of the characters which IMO hurt it, and I can easily say the same for Xenogears and Crono Cross, too diluted, not focused equaling a weak product overall.

Kinda makes me glad in a way they never did make sequels to some of those games I mentioned in my first post, because I don't think they would be able to live up the greatness that those games had, and honestly I think that one of the biggest shames of all ruining the fond memories that people have of those great games...

Umm wow...thats a one big story u told me now
happy.gif
;....but IMO I really liked xenogears story and consider it the best story in a game ever
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.