Best Freeware Newsreader?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by kristijan08, Mar 26, 2007.

Mar 26, 2007
  1. kristijan08
    OP

Member kristijan08 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I assume a lot of members here are familiar with usenet so i was wondering what would be the best freeware newsreader (or if i must, the cheapest good piece of newsreader software).

Essentially i don't really care about the interface but the following features are handy:

- Download management (speed, connections etc)
    - Automatically par and unrar files
    - Only download as many pars as necessary to repair the files

While i don't really care about the interface a pretty newsreader gets bonus points [​IMG]

So far i have tried Usenext (great reader) and News Rover (good but crappy download management and downloads all pars unnecessarily)

2. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    SABnzbd.

Requires a bit of setup and know-how, but it's worth the effort.

3. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

United States
    I like Pan, but I don't know how good the Windows version is if that's what you're looking for.

http://pan.rebelbase.com/

4. kristijan08
    OP

Australia
    checked those 2 out and they aren't bad, but also heard about this program newsleecher from another member. Thats an awesome program, and i was wondering if anyone knows of a freeware alternative?

5. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

yup SABNZBd is great, it runs in the background and is configured using your browser (localhost:Port/sabnzbd/)
    it's a kicking ass tool, I used to use Newsleecher but now I'm definitely with sabnzbd !

6. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    i dont think you can only download the par files you need because you dont know which ones you'd need until its downloaded. hehe.

7. kristijan08
    OP

Australia
    ended up buying a newsleecher license, it actually worked out cheaper to pay for that then to pay for the newzbin subscription fee (as it was in pound).... I'll agree though, SABNZbd was rather good.

@Little, yeah it would appear that way to me, as well... although the "usenext" program did check and would only download them if it needed too, newsleecher has a similar feature, it'll unpause and dl the pars if it needs to (you just have to be sly and not select all the pars, just guess how many you might need)

thanks for all your help guys!