Hacking Best free modchip? Other questions too...

quadomatic

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking about modding my Wii about a year ago, but then I decided against it, since I didn't want to risk losing online, but I've decided to look into modding again, especially with the advent of homebrew on the horizon (seemingly).

I thought about building my own back then, and that's probably the route I'd take this time as well, since it doesn't make much sense to buy the modchip, when I can just make one for free. First, I have a few questions:

1. Has there been any problems with bricking caused by updates, or any bricking in general?
2. Has chip updating via DVD been figured out for free modchips yet?

Finally, what is the best free mod chip? I've heard about WiiFree, OpenWii, Chiip, and YAOSM, but I don't really know which one is the best one right now. I'd be looking for one that would most likely be good for homebrew in the future, and plays backups and imports with the least/no problems.

Its probably also important to note that I may have a D2B Wii. I bought my Wii 1 week after launch, but it was defective and they sent me a new one in January of 2007.

Also, I still have no soldering experience, as was the case a year ago. I looked at the Wlip, but it looks like its horridly made, overpriced, and doesn't exactly work well. Which free modchip would probably be the easiest to install? How would you recommend I learn to solder? What equipment would I need to install the modchip? Are there any other solderless solutions?

Thanks

UPDATE: After looking around, it looks like the only free modchip still in dev is YAOSM...hmmmm

Puxel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this doesnt really help your situation that much, but just in my opinion, i'd go with a commercial modchip, just for the safety. They're pretty cheap, and you know the updates will work everytime.

If you really want it to be an opensource chip, I'd go with YAOSM. v3 Beta put it up there with the Cyclowiz/wiikey/d2c if you ask me personally.
http://www.tehskeen.com/modules.php?name=N...e&threadid=6352

baramos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I would go with YAOSM but wait until 3.0 goes final because then it'll be DVD upgradeable. That being said if you don't mind opening your Wii up again at a later time, YAOSM 2.0 is currently in terms of what it can do as good as the commercial modchips.... pretty much

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
You program the chip with a programmer. You can build one yourself out of a few simple and cheap electronics parts, or buy one from ebay for example.

iori-kyo-k

Trophies
Website
www.jeux-france.com
XP
Country
France
Do you know where would be a good place to buy it? And just wondering how you program it? Thanks.

I personnally bought my own PIC, a 12F629. Then you need to buy the parts needed to build a programmer, it costs me around ~2-3€. Then inject the code in your PIC, YAOSM being the greatest free code for the Wii.

Best solution IMO, and Bell (the code maker) is releasing updates every time is needed to optimize its code.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end