Best flashcart for playing on a GBA

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Chemowski, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Chemowski
    OP

Chemowski Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 27, 2012
    Sweden or something
    I went in looking around, thinking that this would be easy, but now i am very confused. Which is the best flashcart if you want to play games like pokemon, zelda, metroid and mario?

2. Chemowski
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 27, 2012
    Sweden or something
    EZFA seems hecka good but it is darn expensive!

3. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    Basically, a flashcart that can play games. Those four franchises aren't special exceptions or anything. They're regular games.

I prefer the EZ Flash IV. Only $35.

4. elgarta

elgarta GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2012
    United States
    EZ Flash IV is probably the best card that is still available with relative ease. There is a Supercard GBA cart still floating around, but apparently it wasn't anything special.

5. Krestent

Krestent What to post?

Mar 31, 2009
    United States
    Yeah, go with the EZIV. I bought a Supercard SD a while back but it stopped saving at all 3 days after I got it. Bought an EZIV to replace it and it has worked like a charm since.

6. Chemowski
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 27, 2012
    Sweden or something
    Okay, so I am ordering a EZIV from r4ds-ds, along with a memory card. I have some question though.

1. How well does it play gameboy and gameboy color games? Can you save on them?
    2. Does advance wars 2 work?

Ill post moer questions if I can think of any later. Thanks!

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    "along with a memory card"

Do make sure it is a miniSD- those microSD to miniSD adapters cause so many problems it is not funny.

1) You play such games using an emulator (the GB/GBC hardware in the GBA is in effect an entire other console. You might have to use this http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12660 but it will work well.

2) Some people had issues with it but I have never managed to replicate them. GBATA http://www.no-intro.org/tools.htm should be able to patch it instead.
    For what it is worth just about every GBA game works save the classic nes/famicom mini (which have patches and you might as well use HVCA or pocketnes instead) and a handful of other games that do things like extra hardware (tilt sensors, solar sensors, real time clock and such- http://www.pocketheaven.com/ph/bubbz/?system=gba&section=patch - not the most up to date link but should get most of it done) that usually have patches anyway.
    If you have trouble with a game post and hopefully someone can point you where you need to go.

8. Chemowski
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 27, 2012
    Sweden or something
    Just purchased one from Eachgame.hk via paypal. Hopefully ill get my stuff.

9. Chemowski
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 27, 2012
    Sweden or something
    Can I still play Pokemon Emerald and fire red on the EZ flash?

10. GreatCrippler

GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    Fire Red, yes... Emerald, Sorta. Emerald will play, but without a RTC, the time based events won't happen.

11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Someone linked up something about an emerald clock patch the other day but I have not looked into it further http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=246089 is the link though.

12. Arm73

Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Mar 4, 2006
    Italy
    Switzerland
    I tried a lot of flashcarts back in the day, and in the end , I decided to stick with an M3 perfect miniSD.
    Runs just about everything, real time save, soft reset....it's easy to transfer files on it ( since it's miniSD based, it doesn't require a linker ) and fits flush into my GBA SP2 ( contrary to the M3 perfect SD, which sticks out about 1 cm ).
    I'm very happy with it, and I'll keep it as long as my GBA will last !

13. Chemowski
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 27, 2012
    Sweden or something
    Oh my, the thing actually got delivered from Hong kong. Gonna have fun later tonight :3