Hacking Best Flashcart for N3DSXL?

R4ismychildhood

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I currently have a R4i-SDHC 3DS RTS. It works fine for all games but I hate how the game icon moves from right all the way to left everytime you navigate, and you have to wait for it to stop before you can play any game.

Recently I've got a new NDSXL and when I read the section https://3ds.hacks.guide/ntrboot, I realize the R4i-SDHC 3DS RTS has a time bomb of September 3, 2024, which means it cannot play any DS games unless I change the time of my N3DSXL when that time comes, which I don't want to mess with. As kernel 1.85b was updated on 2018-09-04 on the official website http://www.r4i-sdhc.com/downloade.asp, I suspect they will release 1.86 before September 3, 2024. It also does not feel safe to have a bomb of any kind.

Can anyone recommend a flashcart that:
-no time bomb
-no moving icons (as least an option to stop that)
-plays every game as R4i-SDHC 3DS RTS

P.S. Do all these cards use the same format of SAV file? I recall a long time ago, before I even got my first console (an NDSL), I played DS games on No$GBA and their SAV files are smaller, which are not compatible with flashcarts.

Thank you

Last edited by R4ismychildhood,

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I currently have a R4i-SDHC 3DS RTS. It works fine for all games but I hate how the game icon moves from right all the way to left everytime you navigate, and you have to wait for it to stop before you can play any game.

Recently I've got a new NDSXL and when I read the section https://3ds.hacks.guide/ntrboot, I realize the R4i-SDHC 3DS RTS has a time bomb of September 3, 2024, which means it cannot play any DS games unless I change the time of my N3DSXL, which I don't want to mess with. As kernel 1.85b was updated on 2018-09-04 on the official website http://www.r4i-sdhc.com/downloade.asp, I suspect they will release 1.86 before September 3, 2024. It also does not feel safe to have a bomb of any kind.

Can anyone recommend the
-no time bomb
-no moving icons (as least an option to stop that)
-plays every game as R4i-SDHC 3DS RTS

P.S. Do all these cards use the same format of SAV file? I recall a long time ago, before I even got my first console (an NDSL), I played DS games on No$GBA and their SAV files are smaller, which are not compatible with flashcarts.

Thank you
R4i GOLD 3DS PLUS by http://r4ids.cn/

Reactions: R4ismychildhood

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It works fine for all games but I hate how the game icon moves from right all the way to left everytime you navigate, and you have to wait for it to stop before you can play any game.
You mean the 3DS Home menu? Are you referring to how it scrolls whenever you insert something into the cartridge slot?

I realize the R4i-SDHC 3DS RTS has a time bomb of September 3, 2024, which means it cannot play any DS games unless I change the time of my N3DSXL when that time comes, which I don't want to mess with.
Ambitious that you know what you'll be playing four years from now. If all else fails, the standard way of circumventing a timebomb is to use Ysmenu as a kernel instead.

If you have CFW installed then you can use just about any DS flashcart, except for maybe the very oldest ones.

If I'm not mistaken, No$GBA has a special export function for that.

Last edited by Kwyjor,

R4ismychildhood

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You mean the 3DS Home menu? Are you referring to how it scrolls whenever you insert something into the cartridge slot?

Ambitious that you know what you'll be playing four years from now. If all else fails, the standard way of circumventing a timebomb is to use Ysmenu as a kernel instead.

If you have CFW installed then you can use just about any DS flashcart, except for maybe the very oldest ones.

Thanks! I've fixed it with YSMenu! It's also so much cleaner and I can even copy and delete files on the 3DS!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

R4i GOLD 3DS PLUS by http://r4ids.cn/
Thanks Mario. I've bought an R4i 3DS Gold instead of the Plus version cause you probably remember how bad I am with hardware; 100% will break the chip when I open it :P

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I mean within the kernel... It's so annoying. But it's fixed cause I use YSMenu by RGF now.

Yes! I am playing Pokemon Platinum, SoulSilver, Black and Black 2 cause their battle facilities are so much better than the 3DS and Switch releases; and I probably won't even beat them all 4 years later :P

Just tested: YSMenu uses the same format SAV as the R4i-SDHC 3DS RTS kernel. Lucky!

TR_mahmutpek

medic
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
I know it is a bit out of topic but you dont need to use any flashcard for any games. There is twilight menu for ds games, gb/a games are done via injections, other old consoles can be emulated. Since you are using a n3dsxl, it is powerful enough to emulate even snes games.

R4ismychildhood

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know it is a bit out of topic but you dont need to use any flashcard for any games. There is twilight menu for ds games, gb/a games are done via injections, other old consoles can be emulated. Since you are using a n3dsxl, it is powerful enough to emulate even snes games.
Thanks! I have looked it up yesterday but it feels good to have something in the cartridge slot, and a separate storage for DS games for me :) (OCD)

Reactions: TR_mahmutpek

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you have CFW installed, apparently you can use TWiLight Menu to run the Gen IV Pokemon games with TWL speed, substantially improving the experience.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show.