Best Flashcart for me?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by HomBoy1, Apr 27, 2008.

Apr 27, 2008

Best Flashcart for me? by HomBoy1 at 7:02 AM (1,060 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. HomBoy1
    OP

Newcomer HomBoy1 Member

Australia
    Hi. I have an old GBA (plain old GBA, not sp or micro), and I'm looking for a flash card simply to play my backup ROMS, nothing more. It would be nice if it can play GBC ROMs too, although i'm not sure if that possible. I've also got an R4 with a DS phat, so if it could be used in my DS as well, it would be even better.

I read a lot of posts about this, it seems that GBA flash cards have problems with
    1. Storage?
    2. Speed?
    3. Compatibility? (I want to play Pokemon and Final Fantasies)

I've seen mention of G6, M3, etc, and I really have no idea which one to go for. Not to mention some cost an arm and a leg, plus are a b**** to get hold of. Nobody seems to sell anything in Australia LOL.

So could some of the more experienced people help me out please? What is generally the best one to go for?

Thanks in advance

2. Xeronage

Member Xeronage GBAtemp Advanced Fan

M3 Perfect should be exactly what you need. I think the MiniSD one fits flush inside a GBA. Alternatively you can use the M3 Perfect Lite (MicroSD) which has a GBA-shell included.

Perfect GBA Compatibility, well, excluding special games that need stuff like tilt and solar sensors.
    Don't get the M3 Pro, because that one has near none GBA Compatibility (Pro is kinda misleading, ain't it?)

3. Jack-Of-Trades

Member Jack-Of-Trades GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I would of said EZ4 (phat) For price conscious only 30.90 on dealextreme.com
    But it has no real time clock

And that "speed" issue your talking about only card's that have problems with slowdowns running gba games are the slot 1 ds card's since slot 1 can't connect to the gba hardware and has to emulate it in software

And m3 perfect good luck finding that much less for under $70 (personally i would rather two ez4 card's for that price)

But EZ4, M3 Supercard SD (never even think about the rumble) all use SD card's for the main storage up to 2GB and have internal mem to flash from the sd to the card it's self

4. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Dead wrong. GBA games cannot be run from slot-1 at all. You must run them from slot-2. The slowdown issues occur on the slot-2 non-Rumble Supercard series, which has slower RAM and therefore experiences slowdowns in some GBA games. For mainly GBA gaming, you'd want an M3 Perfect, EZ-Flash IV (or III if you can handle the lower storage space and want the RTC), or a purely NOR-based card like the Elink.