Hacking Best flashcart for DS games?

H4X0R46

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I'm about to buy one, credit card in hand. Is the r4i wood the best option to play old DS games on my new 3ds xl? Opinions?

H4X0R46

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's your budget? I highly recommend the AK2i if you have a 3DS with CFW. If not then go with the R4i Gold RTS.
I have a 3ds on the newest official firmware. And hmm.... I use a sky3ds plus for 3ds games, no CFW. I'm just looking for a good cart to play some old classics. What's the advantage between the 3? Thanks in advance man, I truly appreciate it. The gold rts. The gold wood, and the AK2i?

H4X0R46

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It shows same website on the card, so it is probably same card.
Hope so! Someone in the reviews on modchipsdirect said the card they actually send is the RTS version. I'd go with modchipsdirect because I've used em twice before, they're legit! Also ship out of Michigan! I just want the best flashcard for ds games on a console with official firmware. Is it possible that an update would make it no longer work?

thisisallowed

中国御宅族
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Hope so! Someone in the reviews on modchipsdirect said the card they actually send is the RTS version. I'd go with modchipsdirect because I've used em twice before, they're legit! Also ship out of Michigan! I just want the best flashcard for ds games on a console with official firmware. Is it possible that an update would make it no longer work?
Yes but the chance is very low.
However this cart can be used for hacking your 3DS with CFW, than you don't have to worry about it.

Yandere-chan

The One and Only
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R4i-B9S. I am being completely sarcastic, do not go with this cart, unless they EVER release the .firm to revert it for DS rom usage and if it's actually good or not.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Why is the AK2i still good? I remeber back in the NDS scene it was an okay card
It works without issue if you have custom firmware, has the best menu in my opinion, and if you flash ntrboot to it you don't have to restore the firmware to retain functionality. However, since the OP is on stock firmware, the AK2i is blocked from running.

Potato Paste

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
d if you flash ntrboot to it you don't have to restore the firmware to retain functionality. However, since the OP is on stock firmware, the AK2i is blocked from running.
Oh nice it paid off to be cheap back in the day not go for the cyclo DS lol
Running CFW so I didnt notice

starburst

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I ordered two different flashcards from NDS-Card.com (outstanding service and follow up, by the way) and got them a couple of days ago.

Do note that I always play the games as if I were using a cartridge in its original console. This is, no cheat codes, no Real Time Saving, no extra features. I only tried these features once, to check if they indeed work, but did not do an extensive test.

The R4i GOLD Card r4ids.cn works with the vanilla Wood kernel (2013), has a simple yet functional menu interface and it is fast and responsive when loading DS games and when going back to the menu. As a plus, this card can be used to install custom firmware on a 3DS.

The r4i-SDHC r4i-sdch.com works with its own, more recent firmware (2016), has a richer menu and is slow at loading DS games when compared to the Gold card. It seems that a save sate is created when a game is loaded and this is the reason why it takes more time. This card cannot be used to install custom firmware on a 3DS.
Because I do not use most of the extra features, I prefer the YSMenu firmware, whose menu is simpler and loads games faster (1).

I think that the R4i GOLD Card r4ids.cn is the better option. But if you use the extra features, you may want to try different menus until you find the one which suits you best.

(1) I used this version of YSMenu and set it as the primary menu.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/retrogamefan-updates-releases.267243/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-install-ysmenu-woodr4-on-r4i-sdhc-3ds-rts.470619/

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Also, I'd like to note that the AK2i with the latest version of AKAIO seems to have the best compatibility amongst ROMs. I've tested 30 or so, including the most popular, and the only thing that I've experienced is minor graphical glitching in PiT. It's so subtle that it just makes me go "well that's weird", but it's nowhere near game breaking. If OP can get custom firmware it's definitely the better choice. It lacks RTS, but having a universal hack cart with the ability to play NDS games without the need for redundant steps is a pretty sweet setup.

Last edited by Joom,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ding dong