Best flashcard to invest in?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Baccabechoppin, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Baccabechoppin
    OP

Baccabechoppin GBAtemp's Finest Bacca!

Aug 10, 2015
    Australia
    Magnolia Town
    Hi everyone! This is my first time exploring this area of the site so I though I might ask the question. What flashcard is the better one? Sky3ds or Gateway? What functions does each one have? Do they work on 9.9.0-26? (I assume they do but I'll ask anyway). What roms do they play? Do they play DS and 3DS or just 3DS? But overall which one is more cost effective? I don't feel like forking out hundreds of dollars for a flashcard (and getting it delivered to Aus would probably make it more expensive anyway)

2. DaftMink

DaftMink GBAtemp Regular

Mar 19, 2015
    United States
    The Gateway card requires a system firmware under 9.2 to install and function.
    It may be updated in the future to support higher, but right now if you have 9.3 or higher you can't use it.

The Sky3DS card will run on all system firmware but due to new anti-piracy features in new games won't be compatible.
    It has however been around awhile, and still supports firmware 10.

Margen67 likes this.
  3. MattKimura

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    More like should you go with firmware 10.0.0, or 9.2.0 and below. Because the only option you have for 9.3+ is Sky3DS.
    For 9.2 or lower users, you can simply use Rxtools which requires no flashcard. Just a big enough SD card for the 3DS.

Sure you can get Gateway, but it's up to you if you want to spend that $70 for almost no reason. Sure its slightly easier adding games, but overall you're gonna get your hands dirty with the whole 3DS hacking process. You have to learn how to get things done and using Gateway isn't that much easier to use compared to Rxtools.

It's up to you OP

Margen67, duwen and Baccabechoppin like this.
  4. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    9.2 or less: new 3DS -> get ReiNand. Old 3Ds -> get rxTools.

Both have all the features of Gateway plus DSi/GBA support. However, you have to install all your games to your SD card which can be inconvenient because it can take a long time to install each game, and is tricky to uninstall games so you could potentially end up with a lot of rubbish installed. Gateway is a lot faster and easier. However you have to weigh up whether this extra convenience is worth the $70 :-)

Another thing is if you have a new 3DS you *will* need a copy of cubic ninja or a sky3DS (gateway can also use OoT that has had the exploit save file loaded with a Gateway-enabled old 3DS, not sure if ReiNand can also use OoT)

Margen67 and Baccabechoppin like this.
  5. Baccabechoppin
    OP

Aug 10, 2015
    Australia
    Magnolia Town
    So I'm out of luck when it comes to gateway as I'm way past the supported firmware needed so I guess the only choice I have is Sky3ds. (Just to clarify will this play all 3ds roms? Even the newer ones with anti piracy methods? If gateway fixed that issue then surely it's been fixed in sky3ds)

6. ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2014
    No it's not. Gateway can patch everything out. Sky3DS can't.

7. Baccabechoppin
    OP

Aug 10, 2015
    Australia
    Magnolia Town
    So there's really no point in investing in a flash card if my firmwares over gateways required one?

8. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Well, you still have a large library of games that can be played using the Sky3DS.

Baccabechoppin likes this.
  9. Baccabechoppin
    OP

Aug 10, 2015
    Australia
    Magnolia Town
    Do we have a known time or game release in which Sky3DS stopped working?

10. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    So far there are only 2 games that don't work. One is Animal Crossing HHD I believe, the other I can't remember. It's a safe bet that all future releases will have the new AP though.

11. Baccabechoppin
    OP

Aug 10, 2015
    Australia
    Magnolia Town
    Alright sounds like a big enough library to me! You wouldn't happen to know the best reseller to purchase one in Australia would you?

EDIT CONTAINING QUESTIONS: Will this cart allow me to play out of region games(I have a Australian console)? How would I go about getting backups from my games so I could add them? That is all my questions for now so answer away! (If you know the answers that is)

Last edited by Baccabechoppin, Sep 11, 2015
  12. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    I bought my Gateway from OzModChips who were fine. You won't be able to backup your games with firmware greater than 9.2 but you can download roms from a certain ISO site. For out of region games, you'll need Smealum's exploit using cubic ninja (you can just put a rom on your Sky rather than buy a copy).

13. Baccabechoppin
    OP

Aug 10, 2015
    Australia
    Magnolia Town
    So I'll be able to swap roms when using ninjhax then? Sounds like this'll be the flashcard I'll invest in! Just need another $30 and I'll be set!

14. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2002
    Gateway is the cart you invest in, Sky is the cart you choose when you have no other options.

I, like @Quantumcat bought my Gateway from OzModChips, and would recommend them too.

Margen67, jastolze, Ra1d and 2 others like this.
  15. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Things may have changed since last I checked, but I think the way it works is, after initial set up, is you run cubic ninja's QR code, it does what it does, then you switch to the next game on your Sky by pressing the button and it will then work. But it has to be the next one after the cubic ninja rom. Not 100% on that as that's how it was a few months ago and I haven't been keeping up completely.

16. Baccabechoppin
    OP

Aug 10, 2015
    Australia
    Magnolia Town
    I can swap game cards out with OOT3DHax so wouldn't it kind of follow the same principle? The 3DS would act like a cart was removed and a new one put in wouldn't it?

17. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Haha I don't even know what OoTHax is. I need to do some serious reading. If OoTHax will give you region free then that sounds about right.

18. Baccabechoppin
    OP

Aug 10, 2015
    Australia
    Magnolia Town
    OoTHax is basically an ironhax launcher built into an OoT save file, after running the save and interacting with anything you'll be taken to the launcher in a similar fashion to Ninjhax. This allows access to the Region free launcher built into homebrew so in a sense it kind of allows region free (Then again all hax kinda do)

Last edited by Baccabechoppin, Sep 12, 2015
    Quantumcat likes this.
  19. MattKimura

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    You can also invest in a 9.2 or lower 3DS, by selling your current one on ebay, and putting up the extra money needed. That's if you want to play the newer games, since Sky3DS is blocked by the anti piracy that newer games have.

Just know that 9.2 or lower, there's a lot to learn and you'll get your hands dirty. If you ever needed help setting up Rxtools, I can help you over skype via IM.

20. Baccabechoppin
    OP

Aug 10, 2015
    Australia
    Magnolia Town
    Alright will keep a lookout for one of those! There's a 2DS in a local pawn broker of mine so might check that out to see if its 9.2 (If not then I'll probably pick up a Sky3DS)