Hacking Best firmware for wii to be softmodded on?

obs123194

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently running 3.4U and I was wondering firmware is optimal for softmodding? Also my DVD drive is having issues so as an alternative I can play my games via usb loader?

markehmus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
download and update all your ios with modmii or NUSD and click 'pack as wad' for your system menu versions if you use nusd to download the system menu's and then you can switch between any update with a wad manager if you like with ease ... 4.1u and 4.3u seem to be the fav's , i have no complaints about either version

Reactions: TyBlood13

obs123194

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I just want to know if will I be able to use usb loader to play my wii and gamecube games? Because my DVD drive in my wii is broken. Also what's the benefit of having a wode machine (hardmod) vs softmod

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never updated beyond 4.1U as there was never a need for 4.2 or 4.3, their only upgrades were more protection against piracy (not that you still can't do piracy on 4.2 or 4.3)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
duffmmann says it: the theoretical best firmware is 4.1 with an additional IOS58. However, with letterbomb there is no need for bannerbomb anymore, so it's pretty much unimportant.

USB loading is certainly better than using discs, even if the drive isn't broken. It's more convenient and loads faster.
The WODE was one of the first hardmods that allowed for (proper) gamecube games on USB, but since then, DIOS MIOS pretty much does the same but on a softmod-only basis. Instead of DIOS MIOS, there is also devolution, but while this is slightly better, you will have to verify your original gamecube games (which will be hard with a broken DVD drive).

I heard 4.2U and 4.3U do something to cripple bootmii from boot2, and installs stubbed IOSes, that's why I've stayed on 4.1U
The latter is true (if you update using a disc or connecting to online), but if you have a wii edition that can install bootmii as boot2, you can ALWAYS install that as boot2. I can't remember if I had to reinstall it, though...

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
duffmmann says it: the theoretical best firmware is 4.1 with an additional IOS58. However, with letterbomb there is no need for bannerbomb anymore, so it's pretty much unimportant.

USB loading is certainly better than using discs, even if the drive isn't broken. It's more convenient and loads faster.
The WODE was one of the first hardmods that allowed for (proper) gamecube games on USB, but since then, DIOS MIOS pretty much does the same but on a softmod-only basis. Instead of DIOS MIOS, there is also devolution, but while this is slightly better, you will have to verify your original gamecube games (which will be hard with a broken DVD drive).

The latter is true (if you update using a disc or connecting to online), but if you have a wii edition that can install bootmii as boot2, you can ALWAYS install that as boot2. I can't remember if I had to reinstall it, though...

I just don't see any benefits of 4.3 compared to 4.1 It seems as though 4.2 and 4.3 were just last-minute anti-piracy/anti-homebrew updates.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I just don't see any benefits of 4.3 compared to 4.1 It seems as though 4.2 and 4.3 were just last-minute anti-piracy/anti-homebrew updates.
Sorry...I perhaps didn't make myself clear enough: 4.1 is certainly good enough. And yes, 4.2 and 4.3 offer nothing but anti-homebrew (okay, and IOS58...but you can install that easily enough). It was just that the bootmii crippling thing isn't correct. :)

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Sorry...I perhaps didn't make myself clear enough: 4.1 is certainly good enough. And yes, 4.2 and 4.3 offer nothing but anti-homebrew (okay, and IOS58...but you can install that easily enough). It was just that the bootmii crippling thing isn't correct. :)
It doesn't cripple it, but it needlessly updates boot2 which removes BootMii so you have to reinstall it and aren't protected from a bad update.

Reactions: JayRo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?