Best Firefox extensions?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Costello, Oct 15, 2007.

Oct 15, 2007

Best Firefox extensions? by Costello at 4:48 PM (2,119 Views / 0 Likes) 24 replies

1. Costello
    OP

Administrator Costello Headmaster

Hi Firefox users, dear fellows!

I'd like to know what Firefox extensions you're using, and why [​IMG]

Here are the Firefox extensions that I use!
    - Adblock plus: most effective ad blocking tool ever! I haven't seen a single ad banner or logo.
    - Adblock plus: element hiding helper: I don't remember what this is for but it came with Adblock iirc.
    - Always remember passwords: on some pages there's a sort of protection that doesn't let Firefox save password... well this makes password saving possible on every page! wooyay
    - Download statusbar: manage your downloads with a nice statusbar, much better than the default download manger imo.
    - externalIP: shows your external (=not local) IP address at the bottom of your browser
    - Favicon picker: lets me assign my own icons to bookmarks
    - Flashblock: disables and hides flash animations, unlick you click them (one of the most useful extension ever tbh)
    - Flashgot: send download links to FlashGet (download manager tool)
    - FormFox: I just installed this one, not sure what it does but I think it tells you the destination page when submitting a form
    - Long titles: allows long hint boxes (multiline hints)
    - Save complete: when saving a page with firefox, some elements may be omitted (backgrounds from CSS), this extension lets you do a full backup of the page. Very useful.
    - Smart middle click: some links don't directly point to webpage but execute a javascript function instead (links of the form "java script: something('blabla');"). These links normally can't be opened in new tabs using a middle click. Well, this extension makes it possible.
    - SwitchProxy tool: if you have several proxy configurations, this tool lets you switch between each configuration easily
    - Tab scope: hovering a tab shows a thumbnail of the page and lets you perform some actions like refreshing the tab, going back/forward, etc.
    - Tamper Data: allows you to intercept & edit HTTP & HTTPS headers before they're sent to the server
    - Undo closed tabs button: you probably know this useful feature in Firefox: when you accidentally close a tab, you can reopen it and it keeps the text that you had entered in the input fields! Well this extension adds a button in the toolbar that lets you reopen those tabs very quickly.
    - Unhide passwords: Firefox remembers password so you don't even have to type them when you get on an authentication page. However sometimes you need to actually view this password. This extension reveals the text from the password fields.
    - View cookies: adds a tab to view cookies in the "page information" window.

That's all I'm using at the moment. I've got loads more, but I don't need to enable them permanently.
    What extensions are you using?

2. moozxy

Member moozxy hamboning

United Kingdom
    Mouse Gestures, only reason I'm using Firefox over Opera atm. Although it doesn't feel the same :/

Edit: Does anyone know of one that lets you close Firefox and open it next time with all the tabs you had open previously? Like the option you have with Opera

3. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
  4. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    Adblock - for providing free cake
    Firefox Bookmarks Synchronizer (Foxmarks) - because I have 3 computers running firefox that only I use
    googlebar - the one from mozdev, not google's official one
    IE tab - for rendering pages using IE, but keeping them in a firefox tab
    Sothink Web Video Downloader - for easy FLV ripping (it crashes often though, so I leave it disabled until I need it)
    Tabbrowser Preferences - for better control over what does and doesn't open in a new tab or window
    Web Developer - because I am a web developer, this one gives lots of info about the currently loaded page

5. LSSR

Newcomer LSSR Member

United Kingdom
    that unhide passwords seems good... (for evil purposes, i share my pc with my step bro lol)

i use noscripts and adblock right now

6. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Veoh anyone? I know there are many anime viewers on this thread. It is rather a cool extension that works for both IE and firefox. It's kinda between youtube and a media player. It's pretty cool, plus the quality is a little better than youtube.

7. Wii_DS.

Banned Wii_DS. ウォリアー

United Kingdom
    None.

I can never find any USEFUL ones.

8. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    ChatZilla (IRC built into Firefox)
    Colorful Tabs (Color codes your tabs based on the URL)
    Download Statusbar
    FireFTP (FTP client bult into Firefox)
    Gmail manager (Tells me when I have emails)
    Google Browser Sync (So I can have the same bookmarks etc on both Linux and Windows)
    IE Tab
    VideoDownloader (lets you save videos from YouTube etc)
    ViewMyCurrency (Best extension EVER! Automatically converts all currency to your native one)
    Web Developer

- Sam

9. TuMatos

Newcomer TuMatos Member

Portugal
    adblock
    all-in-one gestures
    download statusbar
    fast video download
    fireftp
    flashgot
    forecastfox
    gmail notifier
    ie view
    linkification
    mr tech local install
    super dragandgo
    tab mix plus

10. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
  11. Wii_DS.

Banned Wii_DS. ウォリアー

United Kingdom
    After researching and reading this topic, so far, i use:

ViewMyCurrency
    Mouse Gestures
    Smart Middle Click
    Gmail manager
    adblock
    FlashBlock
    Tab Scope

12. ozzyzak

Member ozzyzak GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Uh, what?

13. Wii_DS.

Banned Wii_DS. ウォリアー

United Kingdom
    Some people like to spoil a nice topic by saying some other Browser. When this person does this they mean that they think that browser they said is better than the browser the topic is about.

Kellyan95 thinks Opera is better than Firefox, Hence kellyan95 saying Opera in a Firefox theme topic. How Lame.......

Kellyan95: put your flame suit on....j/k

14. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
  15. tetsuya

Member tetsuya GBAtemp Regular

all-in-one mouse gestures is the only one I used.

16. Stanny

Member Stanny Advanced Member

Russia
    Try Save Session plug-in.

17. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Firefox can do it itself, by default it only does it when it crashes unexpectedly but to turn it on permenantly goto tools>options, then change the "When firefox starts" dropdown [​IMG]

Ones I use:
    DownThemAll: multiple file and image downloading tool
    Blocksite: opposite of Noscript/adblock, rather than blocking everything only bans loading any sites in its block list.

Things I turn on when I need them:
    DeviantExperience - Crystalball: search engine GUI for DeviantArt. Whatever bright spark decided to use a text-based search engine without an availiable list of the category path names it uses needs shooting. Extension slows the site down so I just turn it on long enough to get the search string I need.
    Greasemonkey: script running thingy, unlike extensions it can be enabled without restarting Firefox (just refresh tab) so it's great for things you only sometimes need. 2 scripts installed:
    * mouseover_fudge - lets Firefox display long tooltips (some people use them for footnotes in blogs and they go over Firefox's default length)
    * Flashblock - does what it says on the tin [​IMG]

Things I forgot I had:
    DOM Inspector: leftover from scripting coursework

I also hated how Firefox 2 looked and how the tabs worked so I've got it themed to look and behave like Firefox 1.

18. Elrinth

Member Elrinth :Master beyond your imagination:

Sweden
    I don't use any. But maybe I should get one now that I've gotten information about a bunch! [​IMG]

19. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Keeping extensions trimmed these days.

Adblock plus, coupled with the fact I leave java(script) fully disabled and do not have flash installed means damn near completely ad free internet.

UK English dictionary.

I have fireftp for the occasions I need halfway decent FTP access.

If something does not load in Firefox I do not view it so no need for any IE related stuff for me.

20. pkprostudio

Member pkprostudio No

United States
    I think NoScript is the best addon for security.