Hacking Best External Hardrive for Wii U vWii for Wii & GameCube Games

Chaes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the Best External Hardrive for Wii U vWii for Wii & GameCube Games?
There is no compatibility list I can find for the Wii U.. Does the Toshiba Canvio Basic 1TB work? Which one works for you? I don't want to waste money on an EHDD and then it doesn't work on the system with USB Loader GX and other software. Thanks! (This is for the Wii U vWii)

Last edited by Chaes,

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the Best External Hardrive for Wii U vWii for Wii & GameCube Games?
There is no compatibility list I can find for the Wii U.. Does the Toshiba Canvio Basic 1TB work? Which one works for you? I don't want to waste money on an EHDD and then it doesn't work on the system with USB Loader GX and other software. Thanks!
The wii u currently does not support USB hard drives. Loadiine and other homebrew run off SD.

As far as the vWii I would say any drive that has its own power adapter. You can get power by using a Y cable but why mess with it.

Last edited by Kafluke,

Chaes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm talking about for the vWii. I want to play backups on it. So I don't have to have my original Wii hooked up. And the vWii upscales Wii Games to look much better. It's just a better experience for me.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm talking about for the vWii. I want to play backups on it. So I don't have to have my original Wii hooked up. And the vWii upscales Wii Games to look much better. It's just a better experience for me.
Upsacale? That's news to me. I thought it was same resolution.

Anyway you may try asking in the definitive vwii guide sticky thread. @CJB100 knows his stuff

Last edited by Kafluke,
Reactions: CJB100

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The wii u currently does not support USB hard drives. Loadiine and other homebrew run off SD.

As far as the vWii I would say any drive that has its own power adapter. You can get power by using a Y cable but why mess with it.

USB Y-cables are perfectly safe to use with the Wii U; I've a 1 TB USB HDD and it runs just fine.

CJB100

Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nintendo has an official compatibility list, but most drives require a Y-Cable, even most of the ones on their list. Really, just get anything a TB or under with the proper Y-Cable and you should be good. 2TB+ work as well, but you should format it to FAT32 for the least amount of hassle, and that doesn't play well with 2TB+ drives usually.

As far as upscaling, there is no internal resolution change done to Wii or GameCube games. The Wii U outputs 480p to your TV via HDMI cable, and if it can't, it will stretch the image. The TV may read it as 1080p, and this is because the Wii U is technically upscaling the image, but the resolution is still going to a be an honestly rather painful 480p. It will look cleaner, but there is not a real bump to hi-def.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm aiming for this little baby right now: squeeze me!
It should have enough space for all my Nintendo needs plus my ripped DVD collection for using it with WiiMC.
It sucks a bit that WiiMC is not capable of playing 1080p content due to power and vWii resolution but a 2.5" drive is very portable. :)
Unfortunately I'm still not sure how to partition/format it cause my other post left unanswered.
I'd definitely prefer one big partition to store everything (roms, Wii, WiiWare, GC, Wii U games later on and movies) and it has been said here that a big continuous FAT32 partition is possible while it is said here that ext4 is possible as well, though I strongly prefer FAT32.

I don't know when I'll get the drive (probably this year) but when I do I'll report back what worked and what not.

Madalone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I'm aiming for this little baby right now: squeeze me!
It should have enough space for all my Nintendo needs plus my ripped DVD collection for using it with WiiMC.
It sucks a bit that WiiMC is not capable of playing 1080p content due to power and vWii resolution but a 2.5" drive is very portable. :)
Unfortunately I'm still not sure how to partition/format it cause my other post left unanswered.
I'd definitely prefer one big partition to store everything (roms, Wii, WiiWare, GC, Wii U games later on and movies) and it has been said here that a big continuous FAT32 partition is possible while it is said here that ext4 is possible as well, though I strongly prefer FAT32.

I don't know when I'll get the drive (probably this year) but when I do I'll report back what worked and what not.

ok so this is what works for me. i've got GC, Wii, nes, snes, neogeo, cps 1 &2 plus all sega emulated through retroarch using wiiflow.

since the max fat32 can take is 2tb that's what i've got. it's formatted with 64kb cluster size (typing this at work off the top of my head so please correct me if i'm wrong) in MBR and set as active because as far as i know and i'm an expert in absolutely nothing nintendon't don't like it (see what i did there?) then again, i could have that wrong too but i'm pretty sure i'm not.

for wiiu games i've got a 256gb sd as loadiine doesn't do usb but i do keep copies of games in the hd. needless to say, the hd only has a couple 100gb free left but oh boy, does it do its work well!

i might have forgotten some details but i'm pretty sure that's it. for that wiiflow awesomeness, you can find a bunch of tutorials here in the forum on how to get it to magically make everything beautiful and accessible. man, that's the stuff missed childhood's made.

Last edited by Madalone,
Reactions: lordelan

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ok so this is what works for me. i've got GC, Wii, nes, snes, neogeo, cps 1 &2 plus all sega emulated through retroarch using wiiflow.

since the max fat32 can take is 2tb that's what i've got. it's formatted with 64kb cluster size (typing this at work off the top of my head so please correct me if i'm wrong) in MBR and set as active because as far as i know and i'm an expert in absolutely nothing nintendon't don't like it (see what i did there?) then again, i could have that wrong too but i'm pretty sure i'm not.

for wiiu games i've got a 256gb sd as loadiine doesn't do usb but i do keep copies of games in the hd. needless to say, the hd only has a couple 100gb free left but oh boy, does it do its work well!

i might have forgotten some details but i'm pretty sure that's it. for that wiiflow awesomeness, you can find a bunch of tutorials here in the forum on how to get it to magically make everything beautiful and accessible. man, that's the stuff missed childhood's made.
Thanks man. I already got some help here starting from this post where it is said that bigger than 2 TB partitions are possible with FAT32 and it would work with everything Nintendont included.
Also I like RetroArch but a highly prefer USB Loader GX over WiiFlow. However, I saw someone in the USB Loader GX thread who managed to build in the WiiFlow emulation plugin into USBLGX.
Here it is: https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/page-1129#post-6643821

Reactions: Madalone

lbruckus562

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks man. I already got some help here starting from this post where it is said that bigger than 2 TB partitions are possible with FAT32 and it would work with everything Nintendont included.
Also I like RetroArch but a highly prefer USB Loader GX over WiiFlow. However, I saw someone in the USB Loader GX thread who managed to build in the WiiFlow emulation plugin into USBLGX.
Here it is: https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/page-1129#post-6643821

How are you guys getting RetroArch to work with the wii u through vwii?
ive tried multiple times with different retroarch wii folders and none of them boot.
last night i tried deleting everything except the core i wanted to use (fbalpha) and renaming it "boot.dol"
That seemed to work and it finally installed a "retroarch" config folder at the root of my drive...but i cant boot any roms, freezed on a black screen and i have to restart the wii u.

im using a 128gb card for loadiine and a FAT partion for vwii stuff.
Any help would greatly be appreciated!..having a lot of fun with retroarch on my vita, but i gotta play some of these cps1/2, and neo games with friends!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Why am I always late to the party?