Hacking Best encoding settings for DS lite?

Alexeh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Are they the default Moonshell DPG tools one, or is there a better quality available for the size?? Just asking before I convert some huge files to the memory card.. Is there a much faster method I should know about?

Edit: (From PC dvdrip quality to DS comparable)

Thanks!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Video is a very tricky subject however the default settings normally work quite well.
If you have a high action video like a skateboarding video or something you would want to increase the bitrate a bit and maybe put the frames per second higher.
A cartoon like Family Guy (most cartoons save some of the more complex anime also apply here) can make do with a lower bitrate and framerate.

My best advice is get a bunch of 30 second clips (make sure they are from representative sections) and test them out with various settings.

You might also want to try batchDPG instead of DPGTools as many consider it better: http://ls5.cydonianknight.com/

Alexeh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I see, good idea's there! Thanks dude
biggrin.gif
(actually to tired to have thought of anything myself just now..) Do you have any recommended settings for med/high quality? The BatchDPG resolution is even changed in the screenshot, compared to default on 1.0 here.

Edit:
QUOTE said:
Problem: Loading a video file gives an error regarding aspect ratio.
Solution: Set the width and height manually in the video 'group'. A width of 256 and height of 144 for widescreen content, and a width of 256 and height of 192 for fullscreen content.

Ok that explains that part
tongue.gif

RyuKakashi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A cartoon like Family Guy (most cartoons save some of the more complex anime also apply here) can make do with a lower bitrate and framerate.

You might also want to try batchDPG instead of DPGTools as many consider it better: http://ls5.cydonianknight.com/

What would be the ideal settings using that and for a family guy (or anything) based on Scene rules?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are no suggested settings really, personally I have made half hour videos with lots of action using a framerate of 19 FPS at around 70/80 megs and it works well.
You should therefore be able to drop the framerate and bitrate quite easily for a cartoon.
The only way to test really is to grab a short clip of the file and encode that, it will not take take long either as you are only encoding small (resolution and filesize) video.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things