Best encoding settings for DS lite?

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by Alexeh, Jul 14, 2006.

Jul 14, 2006
  1. Alexeh
    OP

Newcomer Alexeh Advanced Member

Netherlands
    Are they the default Moonshell DPG tools one, or is there a better quality available for the size?? Just asking before I convert some huge files to the memory card.. Is there a much faster method I should know about?

Edit: (From PC dvdrip quality to DS comparable)

Thanks!

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Video is a very tricky subject however the default settings normally work quite well.
    If you have a high action video like a skateboarding video or something you would want to increase the bitrate a bit and maybe put the frames per second higher.
    A cartoon like Family Guy (most cartoons save some of the more complex anime also apply here) can make do with a lower bitrate and framerate.

My best advice is get a bunch of 30 second clips (make sure they are from representative sections) and test them out with various settings.

You might also want to try batchDPG instead of DPGTools as many consider it better: http://ls5.cydonianknight.com/

3. Alexeh
    OP

Newcomer Alexeh Advanced Member

Netherlands
    I see, good idea's there! Thanks dude [​IMG] (actually to tired to have thought of anything myself just now..) Do you have any recommended settings for med/high quality? The BatchDPG resolution is even changed in the screenshot, compared to default on 1.0 here.

Edit:
    Ok that explains that part [​IMG]

4. RyuKakashi

Member RyuKakashi GBAtemp Fan

United States
    What would be the ideal settings using that and for a family guy (or anything) based on Scene rules?

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    There are no suggested settings really, personally I have made half hour videos with lots of action using a framerate of 19 FPS at around 70/80 megs and it works well.
    You should therefore be able to drop the framerate and bitrate quite easily for a cartoon.
    The only way to test really is to grab a short clip of the file and encode that, it will not take take long either as you are only encoding small (resolution and filesize) video.