best/easiest way to wipe pc info?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by mrpinkeye, Aug 3, 2011.

Aug 3, 2011
  1. mrpinkeye
    OP

Member mrpinkeye GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    im selling my pc and want to wipe as much data as possible.

whats the best/easist way to remove all my data? is there a program i can download for free that would do it? i dont have a windows disc so i cant remove and reinstall windows

2. Ryupower

Member Ryupower Brood

United States
    use a nuke disc

http://www.dban.org/download

that will wipe the HDD
    so there NO OS installed

and let the buyer use an os they like

3. pistone

Member pistone GBAtemp Advanced Fan

in your heart...coz secretly you love me !!!!
    Albania
    try this program
    Disk Wipe
    its free of charge but be aware not to delete all the partition .............. delete only the non os partition

4. person66

Member person66 If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post

Canada
    That makes it a bit more difficult. You could always obtain a clean windows install disk/ISO for your version of windows from somewhere on the internet, then use Darik's Boot and Nuke to wipe your hard drive, then reinstall windows using that disc and the key on the sticker that's stuck to your computer somewhere.

5. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    i had a crappy external i had to return. i used bcwipe. the free version creates an iso that you can burn to a cd-rom, then boot to the cd-rom and run the linux based application it puts on there. for my 1tb it took about 30 days to do 2+ full passes. the DOA recommends you do 5-7, but 3 should be fine.

keep in mind that this utility writes 1s and 0s to the drive, this will completly erase everything and it could cause damage to the drive. i'm not sure this is exactly what you are looking for, especially if you want to resell the pc, still i thought i would mention it.

http://www.jetico.com/wiping-bcwipe/

-another world

6. The Pi

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    Assuming you have the Windows sticker just download a windows iso that matches the version you have. Boot it up and at install stage just delete (all) the partition(s) then install.

OR Most computers that come with windows come with a factory reset thing. If you have it just use that. It basically formats all partitions all reinstalls windows.

7. mrpinkeye
    OP

United Kingdom
    thanks guys

i dont have a cdr drive so cant make the new owner a windows disc and its being collected soon so anything that takes weeks isnt gonna work. the new owners not very tech savvy so they wont be able to install windows on their own

am i right in assuming with that in mind the best option is the above one of getting the iso and simply installing it and choosing to delete partitions in the process?

thanks again

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    If you need keys http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ (earlier versions can change them too)

Granted you probably have an OEM machine so finding a version of windows compatible with that could be a bit trickier.

Although I can remove personal data and make it nigh on unrecoverable from an installed version of windows trying to guess where everything ended up (program files, the root of the drive, anywhere in the documents and settings tree, the registry, the windows directory tree- all places I have seen programs put good personal data for no real reason and all are fairly vital for a working windows install so being heavy handed is not necessarily that good*) but otherwise maintaining a working install is a nightmare so it is probably easier to wipe it (I will second DBAN but a good secure eraser can do the job) and start again.

*the machine might work fine but software seems to be a machine according to most people I meet.

9. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Well if you don't have a CD drive than you can't delete the partition that the ISO is on. If you have a big enough flash drive google how to install windows 7 (or whatever version windows you have) from a flash drive. That'd probably be your best solution that shouldn't take to much time or effort.

10. mrpinkeye
    OP

United Kingdom
  11. person66

Member person66 If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post

Canada
    Yes, but I don't think we can link you to one. Google is your friend

12. mrpinkeye
    OP

United Kingdom
    ok, so i kind of stupidly mounted an xp iso...started the install and of course when it restarted the computer it unmounted the iso and asked for the cd to be put in! i exited the setup and went back into windows as normal

but

now every time i turn the computer on it goes to the install screen asking for the disc and i have to exit setup everytime! how do i just get back to going straight to windows when i turn the pc on?

please help!

13. tagzard

Banned tagzard Tagzard the Crazy Dinosaur with Wings.

United States
    Easiest way: turn off computure and while its booting hold f11

14. mrpinkeye
    OP

United Kingdom
    thanks. does that take me to a menu or does it just fix the problem? im not at computer so cant test!

15. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Tagzard's advice is not something that applies to all computers.

16. tagzard

Banned tagzard Tagzard the Crazy Dinosaur with Wings.

United States
    That's how i did mine. And it works. Sorry

17. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    It's something the computer manufacturer may or may not choose to put in, it's not something that's a given on Windows systems (and it's not always that key).

18. AP Hacker

Newcomer AP Hacker Advanced Member

Canada
    OP, when the computer is booting, look at the corner of the screen (usually top left) and you will hopefully see "Boot Menu =" and then a key, usually F11. Press that key and a menu will appear. I personally have never had the need to attempt this method of booting, so I can't speak from experience, but unless there is a better suited option for this, I'd suggest booting in Safe Mode.

Best of luck to you.

19. mrpinkeye
    OP

United Kingdom
    thanks

im familiar with getting to the screen where "safe mode" is an option...

but everytime i switch the pc off i get the "install windows/enter disc" screen, how do i stop that?

20. yusuo

Member yusuo GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    http://www.2brightsparks.com/assets/softwa...Click_Setup.exe

thats the best thing, i use it, it basically overwrites data with 0's 1's all you have to do is right click on the file you want to delete and click secure delete, simples as standard, you can select multiple files using select all or hold down ctrl and click all you want deleted in a specific folder, I use this, and i've tried recovering stuff after with no such luck, so its pretty good, but as with anything if someones really really determined to see what you had then they would prob be able to get it back, using backtrack linux, which contains forensic programs, police and military grade.