Best DVD drive to backup Wii game?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Ryvius, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Ryvius
    OP

Ryvius Member

Newcomer
    May 30, 2006
    I am look for a good drive that can burn and write dvds and make Wii backups, can someone recommend me one?

2. iza

iza gbatemp, the new crack

Aug 28, 2006
    United States
    Texas
    there are only a few out there, i believe they are all LG drives... do a search... they are on here. i've seen them a long time ago...

3. jon_jon

jon_jon GBAtemp Regular

Jul 9, 2003
    United States

To backup Wii games, you need to use one of the LG DVD-ROM drives (8162, 8163 or 8164). To burn your backup files onto to a disc, you need a DVD writer.

4. Darkforce

Darkforce DERP!

Former Staff
    Nov 5, 2002
    UK
    Just be careful buying an LG drive now because it looks like LG have updated the firmware or changed something on the drive - presumably to stop it reading Wii/GC discs but I'm only hazarding a guess. The new drives are numbered - 8164BB (note the extra 'B'), so make sure you get a 8164B or older.

And the LG units that read Wii discs are all DVD-Rom drives so you will need a DVD writer too (anything half decent will do).

[​IMG]

5. skagamer

skagamer GBAtemp Regular

Feb 10, 2007
    United States

The extra "B" at the end of 8164-BB is only to identify the color of the drive. There are sveral models of the 8164-B I know that 8164-BB is Beige, and 8164-BK is Black. I own the BK model and it works great. I have not heard anything about LG changing the firmware of those drives, but if they did...those letters have nothing to do with it.

6. Dirtie

Dirtie :'D

Former Staff
    Sep 9, 2003
    New Zealand
    Zealer
    ^As above.

If the did change the firmware on newer models, it would be to remove/change the debug commands which allow dumping in the first place - very possible.

Myself, I have a GDR-8164B that I ordered just for dumping Wii/GC discs (I ordered it before any dumping tool/method was made public, simply because I heard that if a method was revealed, it'd more than likely be for this drive [​IMG]) which works just fine. I also just noticed now, that I ordered it from this page: http://c1com.co.nz/shop/step1.php?number=5457 which has "8164BBK" - further proof the extra letters don't mean anything with respect to firmware.

7. Darkforce

Darkforce DERP!

Former Staff
    Nov 5, 2002
    UK
    Ah that's cool then, I thought LG may have changed the firmware because ebuyer.com listed their new stock of the drive as a different product with the extra 'B'. Sorry for any confusion! ^_~

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice