Gaming Best DS RPG(s)?

blizeH

OP
Trophies
Website
www.zestdesign.net
XP
Country
I've just started Magical Starsign, and whilst it has a small amount of potential, I'm finding it to be incredibly mediocre and am not sure if I can bring myself to invest 30 plus hours into this game.

But in the same respect, if there are no better RPGs I may be tempted to stick with it a little more.

Cheers guys

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i'll tell you one thing-
Tales of Innocence!

It's in japanese but setya and i'm making a translation patch-

It is a nice 3D game with excellent graphics, doesn't use the stylus (i saw your bed thread
wink.gif
)

The gameplay is somewhat long, and because it's in japanese, it will take longer
wink.gif

If you are buying and playing the actual games, like most of us, you can get yourself an R4 or an M3 or other drives for your DS... (if you are, then good!)

Tales of Innocence is a very high quality game, and because it was only out for about 2 month, there are no information about american release... (that's why i'm making a patch
smile.gif
)

But if you have no thoughts in getting an R4 or an M3 etc, you would import from many sites like i think something like "playasia"??

Well i highly recommend Tales of Innocence.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3a1fw_ta...le-2_videogames

here that is like pros doing the battles...

It has an ordinary RPG like moving through towns and outside town in the world map... but when you meet an enemy the true fighting starts! Just like namco's other tales games, the battling is similar, but on this one, you can move around in all 8 directions instead of the side scrolling in most of them (many people didn't know how to move all 8 directions, but you can press R and move to move all directions)

blizeH

OP
Trophies
Website
www.zestdesign.net
XP
Country
Whaaaa! A Tales game for the DS? That looks awesome (although I don't really like the way the backdrops darken when you're fighting, just a random observation ;p) - do you have a homepage for your translation? I wouldn't fancy playing an RPG in Japanese, but will definitely check out your translated patch
smile.gif

Huge thanks for the recommendation and links Satangel; nice to see that even if I don't get on very well with this game, there are plenty of others I can try in it's place. Etrain Oddesey and Children of Mana in particular look fantastic.

Thanks again

Sendoh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Not forgetting FFIII for the DS, and Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (tad more enjoyable than Pokemon in the single player aspect). Front Mission as well if you're into SRPGs.

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ack srry for the late reply but
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=73634
that's the thread, ... i'm still working on it but i got it to an amount where it is easily playable
(all the menus, so you won't have to figure out what each of them are
smile.gif
, all ordinary items and item description, 2 of the 6 character's weapons, and many more )

and that's good to see another person that knows tales games
smile.gif

i'm a huge fan in them
smile.gif
(except the psp's 2d graphics were a little bit of shame...)

i'm still working on the patch, so hope you see them
smile.gif

there are currently 2 tales games for the ds, tales of the tempest and tales of the innocence.

tempest has a very bad battle system from the other tales games, where the "combo"s and the side scroll fighting type is gone.
Innocence does NOT have the excellent background music, but it does have the RPG voices.

There are lots of voice acting in the game, which is another good thing to see
smile.gif

and you do not want the english release to have the worst voice actors to dub it. (nobody knows if an american release will come out yet...)

The side scrolling and the combos and the excellent skill graphics remain, while also adding the full directional movement in the 3d environment.
very nice graphics for the ds, and you will find it more entertaining than most of the rpgs because

1. You actually travel around figuring stuff yourself (because of the japanese)
2. Many Many skills
3. 6 different characters with different attacks and skills
4. 8 battle tactic styles (such as full power, low cost, back attack, etc
5. 3 characters to control in a battle (can control only 1 at a time, but the AI can also control for you)
6. Not a very big world map, but there are many dungeons to explore
oh and a part i forgot-
It is not Turn based like most rpg games, and does not use the stylus so you can play in your bed
smile.gif

And the part where the background darkens, that won't be in the ordinary gameplay if your playing just like us
smile.gif

So you don't need to worry, and unless you are a pro, you won't be switching characters during battle that much, so you don't need to worry so much
smile.gif

oh and some comparison with other games that were mentioned by the other guy

Children of Mana - was a good game, but was similar to many other RPGs like lunar knights... and 2d was a shame

Custom Robo Arena - this is (^^)b

Etrain Oddesey - ya i bought this game before i got my R4 T^T not a true game to buy with your money... was like orcs and elves with the old drangonquest battles where you only see the enemy and your skills... but graphics were very good.

Mario and Luigi Partners in Time - never tried but if you are a mario fan you should get it no matter what
smile.gif

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl - again, good graphics with nice 3d but lacks in real time... like all the other games T^T

if you are thinking of playing games where you want to invest more than 30 hours , i recommend lots of action packed games... you should want to try more real time games than turn based, because it tends to be more interesting (my opinion... some people only likes turn based...)
Well here are some more excellent graphics + recommended games

Chocobo tales - well, good graphics, and was very good for those mini-game games (enjoyed it more than wariowares...)
Not an RPG though... but it might be interesting...

Revenant??? wings - i quit in like chapter 3 or 4 or 5 where i have to sneak in... it is like an "almost" rts, but you can get bored with it... very soon...

LOZ Phantom Hourglass - a legend of zelda on ds, but the stylus controls ... get annoying- my hand covers the touch screen so i can't see what i'm doing T^T i love the arrow key patch
smile.gif
it keeps the original control
smile.gif

hm.... i also prefer you getting a snes emulator and playing sparkster... i really remember playing that game when i was like... 6.... just before i got my gameboy color and my N64 >

kemosabe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i think the best ones are already posted, but here are my favorite rpgs:
dragon quest 4 (english, german, french etc are available via patch)
Mario & Luigi
Custom Robo (involves a lot of mech fights though so you better like robots)
Final Fantasy 3
Dragon Quest Slime
Pokemon is also worth a try.
its a shame that a lot of greats games are jap. only, like tears of innocence

ExDee

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I like.... Umm.... ARGH... The Tales of Innocence . It's in Japanese, but psychoblaster made a patch. Also Children of Mana, Heroes of Mana (confusing when you start this), and MegaMan Starforce : Pegasus

D

Deleted User

Mario & Luigi is pretty awesome...
wink.gif

Actually, this thread has just made me play it through again, yay!

Kellicros

Trophies
XP
Country
If you read Japanese, FF4 is a very solid and dramatic RPG, much more superior to FF3, I think there is a translation patch somewhere... I personally am almost finishing the fully Chinese translated version.
biggrin.gif
They also have Tales of Innocence translation 80% ready, knowing Chinese isn't bad after all, but of course knowing Japanese would have been much better.
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: where are my cute girls