Hacking Best DS Lite flash card for young kids

dudinatrix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking to purchase a flash card for a DS Lite that will be used by young kids (kindergarden) to play backups of their games. The most important aspect is that it is very simple to use (both the loading of backup roms to the card and selecting/launching games from the DS Lite)... and it must support sleep mode and all that. All the fancy stuff doesn't matter (media playback, etc..). It would probably be nice if it supports DS to DS stuff that any games might use in case the kids want to play with each other.

I keep reading that CycloDS is the best but it's also the most expensive. I'm guessing its overkill for the kids needs since they aren't really going to get crazy with features or anything. But if it's the easiest and the most straightforward, then I'll of course consider it.

Any feedback (including best place to buy it in the US) would be appreciated.. thanks!
smile.gif

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R4 is easy with YSmenu it has perfect compatibility. There just kids so yeah...

Acekard 2i is also good for them has perfect compatibility and a team named AKAIO has the best firmware/loaders for it. I Suggest getting the Acekard 2i. Your kids will love it has a colorful menu too.

lurked

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ignore the above post, R4 isn't all "simple and convenient" that as he mentioned. R4 is a outdated flashcart and in some cases has trouble running some games (My cousin which is about 9 had trouble with her R4 and came to me for help). R4 IMO has excessive bugs compared to other flashcarts (Some bugs may include : Unable to open your game because of save file, etc. This is where EXTRA work is needed, the extra work other flashcarts won't need to do.

After that is covered, please do not buy the R4. If you have the DS i would recommend the M3 Real. Run it on M3 Sakura firmware, very easy to use and customize it to your liking (Very organized to avoid confusion as well!)
Other flashcarts may include the DSTT (Its cheap and has no problems when my friend uses it)

For the DSi, it is no doubt you should get the SuperCard Onei. It isn't the best card around, but it plays games great, and also has a updater to block out all attacks Nintendo has to offer. M3i is probably the best flashcart for the DSi, and of course, also has a updater to block out all threats created by Nintendo.

iwakura

HHNNNNNNGGGG
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States
its true that for 6 bucks, its quite the bargain. however, from personal experience you might as well throw in a few more bucks and get a better flash cart. the high end ones only cost ~30 or so, which is like a single real game.

consider the AK2i
smile.gif
cheap, pretty straightforward, great compatibility.

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check out the Edge card. Nice simple menu. Solid construction. Active updates. DealExtreme(China) has them for around $10 USD. Gamebygame(US) sells them single $25.99 and bundled with micro sds.

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
you should listen to PharaohsVizier/iwakura's advise
smile.gif

they wrote some very good reviews on flash cart
Please and never listen to some other user's gibberish about getting r4

A couple of us said EDGE is an idiot proof cart for DSL/DS
all you need is just drag and drop the firmware
the interface is simple yet nicely done
so i would say go for EDGE as suggested
the only downside of EDGE would be cheat
smile.gif

however, the latest cheat engine from the latest firmware had fixed a lot of the cheat compatibility issue

mrfatso

That guy!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
true, just drag and drop and that's it, u have your firmware and a basic cheat database, just too bad it isn't moron/retard-proof enough to ward off those who are too stupid to understand drag and drop aka extract the freaking file into your freaking mircosd.

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My first ever flash cart was the EDGE and i thought it was brilliant, I never had any problems with it at all and even the cheats worked great for me (bust as people have said you can have some problems). You can learn to use it in minutes. I would definitly promote the EDGE. (plus its come in a cool box)

I now have a m3i running sakura and and acekard 2i running akaio and there both great but for the age your talking about i would definitly go with the EDGE

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
EDGE is noob proof. (and kid proof) It would suit you well. If you guys are looking for a pretty menu, go for Acekard. If you really wan't simple as can be, use TTDS.

But go for EDGE. I tried it and it was boring but it would suit kids well. It's practically the only clone of something that is actually worth something.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
ZenZero said:
DSONE is perfect for anyone of any age - check out the FAQ!
Sorry, but I think that DSOne is one of the more complicated carts out there..Wouldn't recommend it fir young kids..
EDGE is pretty much perfect choice, and best one could get for youngsters!

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
ZenZero said:
DSONE is perfect for anyone of any age - check out the FAQ!

Yes, I'm sure they'll have a very good time scrolling and browsing through the clunky menu, the outdated GUI, the slow loading times, the complicated cheat engine, the ugly interface, and the complicated RTS and other useless for kids features. Thank you.

Back to my point, go for the EDGE.

dudinatrix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks SO much for all the replies! I really appreciate, and so will the kids :)

Looks like I'm leaning towards buying the EDGE from dealextreme.com -- nice and cheap! And they seem trustworthy, right? I probably wont buy it for a couple of days or so (still reading up on this stuff), so please feel free to continue chiming in if you have other feedback or suggestions.

Thanks again for all the help!

dudinatrix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good to know about the slow DealExtreme.. thanks. I plan on getting the cards for Christmas so time isn't that big an issue but I may go with DealPerfect instead of they are faster. Price seems about the same. As long as I get the card by Christmas and it's not defective (or the have a great replacement policy) I'm happy
smile.gif

You guys rock.

monzamess

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My 4-year-old has no problems getting around the Acekard 2i with the official menu system (haven't tried anything else). Each game shows up with its icon, so she just highlights the one she wants and hits the button to start it. No big deal.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, what area of the US do you live in? Mid, west, east, HI, AK, etc? I would personally suggest (for easy use) a R4. People say it sucks but it's basic and easy to use. I can dig up a Youtube video somewhere with a link of everything you need to get the R4 running. It's incredibly easy to use. And it's cheap.

I ordered my R4 from ModChipCentral.com. They're located in Canada but I got it in about a week with cheap shipping prices. If you're wondering, I live in New Jersey.

I got a 3-in-1 from RealHotStuff.com, and they also sell slot-1 cards. If you live in or around New Jersey for most of the upper eastern section of the US, you should buy from them. I literally got it within 1 or 2 days. Yet again, I could drive to their warehouse in less than an hour.

That's my though. No point wasting lots of money on a fancy cart if kids won't know the difference or won't care. R4 is probably the way to go.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."