Hardware Best ds flashcart for compatibility, not price

Bazooka_Face

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I am looking for the best ds flashcart that plays the games 1 to 1 to the actual cartridge. I am not looking for the cheapo r4i dual core series of cards, as they have so many problems running games and have massive slowdowns like in tony hawks downhill jam or crashes in cod black ops. These cards are highly recommended, but in reality they are complete bullshit. I want a card that is still on the market and I can actually purchase, and is the best of all. Do you guys know any cards beside the dstwo

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
r4ids.cn = https://nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=575

All other still-good flashcards (Acekard 2i, original R4, DSTwo, not much more) are discontinued and out of stock in most places

---
These cards are highly recommended,
lol wut (being peddled everywhere in physical and electronic stores because they're the cheapest crap is not a "recommendation")

Last edited by Ryccardo,

Bazooka_Face

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
r4ids.cn = https://nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=575

All other still-good flashcards (Acekard 2i, original R4, DSTwo, not much more) are discontinued and out of stock in most places

---

lol wut (being peddled everywhere in physical and electronic stores because they're the cheapest crap is not a "recommendation")
Sorry, for the late reply but this card has the same issue with constant slowdown and glitches in tony hawks donhill jam and slowdown in the title movie for castlevania portrait of ruin, I still have issues with kirby superstar ultra after beating spring breeze, the menu doesnt let me select anything, but the music still plays. My sdhc card is a class 10 a1 sandisk ultra plus micro sdhc v10 I formatted with panisonic formatter with no luck. Any thoughts? Were these just oversights you didnt notice on your card?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Launching DS cart games from the HOME Menu game cart icon sets the 3DS to run it at NDS (NTR) 67 MHz ARM9 clock speed. You can play DS cart games or DS flashcart at DSi (TWL) 133 MHz speed using NTR Launcher or TWiLight Menu. You might need to manually adjust those apps' settings or config file to set the desired speed.

Reactions: MrMcTiller

Bazooka_Face

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Launching DS cart games from the HOME Menu game cart icon sets the 3DS to run it at NDS (NTR) 67 MHz ARM9 clock speed. You can play DS cart games or DS flashcart at DSi (TWL) 133 MHz speed using NTR Launcher or TWiLight Menu. You might need to manually adjust those apps' settings or config file to set the desired speed.
But why? the original games don't run like this, and i'm using a ds fat, so there is no overclocking.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As just stated above some games need tweaking

But why? the original games don't run like this, and i'm using a ds fat, so there is no overclocking.
Why? Because.
:wink:
Kirby is a weird one that brings up similar problems on other cards/TWiLight, but there's a pretty universal fix... Nothing wrong with your card in this respect. Probably similar patches out there for your other problem games - either patch yours or obtain an already patched version.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, since you posted in the 3DS side of the forum, I thought the slowdown in question would be the typical NDS vs DSi difference in speeds.

Since I have an R4i Gold 3DS Plus, I'll take a look at Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam and see if the slowdown is present from my end. I've never played this game before,so how far or which skate park stage/area would I likely see this?

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sorry, for the late reply but this card has the same issue with constant slowdown and glitches in tony hawks donhill jam and slowdown in the title movie for castlevania portrait of ruin, I still have issues with kirby superstar ultra after beating spring breeze, the menu doesnt let me select anything, but the music still plays. My sdhc card is a class 10 a1 sandisk ultra plus micro sdhc v10 I formatted with panisonic formatter with no luck. Any thoughts? Were these just oversights you didnt notice on your card?
i have that card from the first link and no slowdown in the Castlevania intro or in the first tutorial levels of tony hawk.
i know the kirby superstar thing might be some AP measure, that said, the linked card should patch that away on its own :/

this might be an issue with either your flashcard or sd card.
do you have another sd to try this out?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam (USA) [CRC32: 87AC1669] does not slow down on my R4i Gold 3DS Plus played on my n3DSXL with Luma v10.1.3 + B9S v1.3.

Funny enough, I tried the game on TWiLight Menu++ v15.1.0, and the slowdown is very noticeable. Very strange experience to skate molasses-like with fast pace rock background music.

It seems to be some sort of AP (anti-piracy) measure kicking in. Maybe you have pre-patched anti-AP roms? Hash check if yours are clean dumps against ADVANsCEne or DAT-o-MATIC.

Bazooka_Face

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam (USA) [CRC32: 87AC1669] does not slow down on my R4i Gold 3DS Plus played on my n3DSXL with Luma v10.1.3 + B9S v1.3.

Funny enough, I tried the game on TWiLight Menu++ v15.1.0, and the slowdown is very noticeable. Very strange experience to skate molasses-like with fast pace rock background music.

It seems to be some sort of AP (anti-piracy) measure kicking in. Maybe you have pre-patched anti-AP roms? Hash check if yours are clean dumps against ADVANsCEne or DAT-o-MATIC.
ok, i will check that out

Bazooka_Face

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so i checked my rom, it is a good dump. I downloaded from the nointro pack, so that's expected... Im not sure. Is it my sd card?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Alright, so i checked my rom, it is a good dump. I downloaded from the nointro pack, so that's expected... Im not sure. Is it my sd card?
Also, it wans't in the tutorial. It was in the race with multiple people racing at once that did it in.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If you skip the tutorials and go into last place behind other racers, the game will noticeably slow down. Try it.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Also, it wans't in the tutorial. It was in the race with multiple people racing at once that did it in.

If you skip the tutorials and go into last place behind other racers, the game will noticeably slow down. Try it.
I went back and tried what you suggested. It's not just you!

I too experienced slowdowns in GAME MODESQUICK RACE when racing against the three (3) AIs. The closer and more bunched you are to them, the more the game slows down.

A fellow, long time GBAtemper who's really experienced with DS flashcarts mentioned this.

No other cart is going to be comparable to the DSTWO. The R4i Gold+ has a decent RTS that works, but it's nowhere near the level as the DSTWO.

The Linux Queen, @Lilith Valentine, does this performance difference between R4i Gold Plus and DSTWO also applies for gameplay?

Anyway, I tried that idea about playing in TWL speed with NTR Launcher. This lead to finding a bug as explained in this github issue.
TWL speed helps immensely, but I do notice occasionally speed dips.

Bazooka_Face

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another problem I have to mention is call of duty black ops. It doesn't even boot and sometimes if it does, the game crashes at random.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I went back and tried what you suggested. It's not just you!

I too experienced slowdowns in GAME MODESQUICK RACE when racing against the three (3) AIs. The closer and more bunched you are to them, the more the game slows down.

A fellow, long time GBAtemper who's really experienced with DS flashcarts mentioned this.

The Linux Queen, @Lilith Valentine, does this performance difference between R4i Gold Plus and DSTWO also applies for gameplay?

Anyway, I tried that idea about playing in TWL speed with NTR Launcher. This lead to finding a bug as explained in this github issue.
TWL speed helps immensely, but I do notice occasionally speed dips.
The only performance difference between the DSTWO and R4i Gold is more so in the real-time menu feature, ROMs preform is the same between the two. If there is any difference it’s most super minor that no one will notice. The CPU and RAM of the DSTWO is mostly used for the real-time menu and features like free cheat, in turns of DS game uses.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Another problem I have to mention is call of duty black ops. It doesn't even boot and sometimes if it does, the game crashes at random.
I'm pretty sure that that shouldn't happen.
I think that I've read somewhere that flashcards are slightly slower than normal cartridges but idk where. It was a long time ago

Naendow

Brick-Master
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The DSTWO ist the best option imo. I've used many different flashcards for over 10 years, ans I love the features that Supercard added to it. And I've never had any compatibility issues. Besides that, it is probably the only flashcard that hasn't been permanently blocked for 10 years.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Advanscene lists Call of Duty - Black Ops (U) as having a bad dump scene release.

Good release of that game. Check the hash.
I'll check how the bad dump copy of this game runs on flashcart, TWiLight, DeSmuME, NO$GBA, and melonDS.

Reactions: zfreeman

Bazooka_Face

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Advanscene lists Call of Duty - Black Ops (U) as having a bad dump scene release.

Good release of that game. Check the hash.
I'll check how the bad dump copy of this game runs on flashcart, TWiLight, DeSmuME, NO$GBA, and melonDS.
Ok, I just bought tony hawks downhill jam, and I am going to verify if this is an actual issue with the programming of the game or if its our flashcarts. I stated before that this never happens in the real game because I saw an ign video of the game being played before release, but who knows how accurate that was, and if they used an internal use emulator for that footage or not.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I just bought tony hawks downhill jam, and I am going to verify if this is an actual issue with the programming of the game or if its our flashcarts. I stated before that this never happens in the real game because I saw an ign video of the game being played before release, but who knows how accurate that was, and if they used an internal use emulator for that footage or not.
"The numbers, Mason! What do they mean?!"

I have no issue launching and playing [bad dump] Call of Duty: Black Ops on the first mission (Bay of Pigs). Tried several times exiting back to HOME Menu and then launching the game again, no crashes or hang-ups. Playing the DS version versus the XBOX360 is like this. lol
  • NO$GBA - Play fine with minimal micro stutters.
  • DeSmuME - Plays fine for the most part.
  • melonDS - Runs at a good frame rate, but the audio has a kinda scratchy pitch.
  • TWiLight - Plays like the flashcart.

If you're having lots of trouble playing, you should check if your flashcart's microSD card is fake, faulty, or dying.
  1. Copy everything off the SD card to a computer.
  2. Quadruple reformat.
  3. Full Write + Verify the empty card in H2testw. Do not skip.
  • (GOOD) - Test finished without errors.
  • (BAD) - The media is likely to be defective.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: A PS3 pkg i downloaded