Hacking Best display settings for NESds

Xamrin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm running NESds on my R4i card on 3DS. The display is fully controllable, but is hard to properly set. When full scale the game is too large for the screen, when scaled to fit the screen the pixels become horribly compressed. To anyone familiar with NESds: Do you know the best settings for running it on 3DS with the best possible quality?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm running NESds on my R4i card on 3DS. The display is fully controllable, but is hard to properly set. When full scale the game is too large for the screen, when scaled to fit the screen the pixels become horribly compressed. To anyone familiar with NESds: Do you know the best settings for running it on 3DS with the best possible quality?
Well, in most games there is nothing too important at the top or bottom edges so you can get away with using full scale. However, games are still enjoyable with the game scaled to fit though it doesn't look great, so it varies from game to game which one is best I guess. Use the one that's less annoying to you?

When starting a DS game or DS-mode flash cart from the home screen, press and hold Start/Select while starting it to change/remove the scaling effect.
I think he means the way NES emulators have to scale the image vertically to fit because the NES' graphics output is taller than the DS screen. Disabling the DS mode scaling may help a bit but it won't solve the issue.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
If you disable the 3DS's native scaling, then the NesDS's scaling options will be relative to native instead of relative to an already-scaled resolution, did you try changing those afterwards?

There's no way to play emulation stuff at a 1:1 pixel density across the whole screen because the 3DS has a larger resolution than DS-mode does. If an image is going to fill up the empty space between DS-mode and 3DS-mode, than it's gotta' scale.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM