Best device to stream movies to TV

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by yusuo, Apr 28, 2013.

1. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    I'm looking for a device to stream all the many films on my PC to my non-smart flatscreen TV.
    I'm lookin for something cheap and doesnt need to be too flashy, its for a five year old so don't need all the netflix and all that, just something that can simply stream movies over my wireless network to a tv.

Any ideas anyone

2. Krestent

Krestent What to post?

Mar 31, 2009
    United States
    Are the movies in iTunes or simply files in a folder?

3. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    I have a Sony set-top box, SMP-N100 it was like $50 at my local store. It works pretty well if you set up a media server like TVersity or mezzmo on your PC.

4. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    There not in iTunes so appleTV is out of the question, plus I hate apple with a passion. I just want to basically samba share them to a external media hub

Ok hate is a strong word, i just hate the fact that i can't mess with the os

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    You can do pretty well with XBMC and I am told the raspberry pi versions do quite good for this sort of thing too (I assume you have a spare HDMI port). Control varies from network (if they have a cheap android thing then it could do) to quite a few USB IR remotes.

All in assuming you have a cable, want wireless and want an IR remote you can probably do it for under £50.

6. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    A Raspberry Pi would work well enough, though the wait time for one can be generally long depending on availability.

XBMC has been ported to Android as well, so an alternative would be some sort of Android device with an HDMI output if you can't wait for the Pi. I've seen one of these in action and I have to say they are quite useful. The best possible thing to do with these is install XBMC, then set it to launch the app on boot so you don't have to deal with a keyboard/mouse, and have an XBMC Remote app on another device so you can easily control the thing and you'd have a small and easy to use media center.

7. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    android devices is what I've been looking for but theres quite a few on the market and im guessing more than a few of them are pretty crap, so im trying to find the little gems

8. marcus134

marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 7, 2011
    Canada
    Québec
    1. connect the computer directly to your tv
    2. use a xbox 360/ps3 ( it's cheap if you already have one)
    3. blu-ray drive ( if you don't have one already, you'll have to buy one anyway)

9. soulx

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
  10. Haloman800

Haloman800 a real gril

Dec 18, 2009
    United States
    Buy an Android Stick PC from amazon, put XBMC on it. if it's junk just pay return shipping and you get a full refund.

I'd recommend at least dual core + 1GB RAM, also check reviews/see if anyone uses XBMC on it.

Also as someone else stated, plug your laptop/desktop directly to your TV (I have mine hooked up to a 27" monitor and my 50" TV".

11. WatchGintama

WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    I have the roku, wdtv, and mk802ii. Now I just have my computer connected to my TV and I suggest you do that too. Or you could build an HTPC.

I used to mess with plex and PS3 media server, but it would sometimes stutter, and cant stream 1080p hi10p either. Subtitles didn't display properly either.

But with an HTPC, you can playback all files locally. You can even set up a cool XBMC library.