Gaming Best Defrag Software

kaputnik

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
My personal favorite is Ultimate Defrag. The only drawback is that it can't handle USB drives, hopefully that will be fixed in the upcoming version.

kaputnik

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
juggernaut911 said:
UltraMagnus said:
Aren't NTFS and ext3 non fragmenting file systems?
I don't know about ext3 but NTFS does fragment.

Ext3 fragments when the disk begins to get full. If you copy a very large file to an ext3 fs it might get fragmented even if you got plenty of space left. NTFS fragments almost as much as older fs:es.

To keep the explanation simple; when writing a new file NTFS basically just puts the file at the first position it finds enough contiguous space for the file. This means that the files will be pretty consolidated to the beginning of the partition. If a file grows, and another file has been placed right after it, the growing file will get fragmented.

Ext3 however places the files pretty much at random, which means there will be plenty of space for files to change size both before and after them. Until the disk gets full of course :>

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I use Mydefrag (formerly known as jkdefrag) with custom scripts. I have it place my games folder on the fastest part of my disk.
smile.gif

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
windows defrag. If you have it like me, tuneup utilities. I still have an old 09 key but it doesn't work on my new w7.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all