Best current way to spoof firmware/block updates?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Alex4nder001, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Alex4nder001
    OP

Alex4nder001 Part-time thug

Jul 28, 2017
    United Kingdom
    I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I genuinely can't find an answer (not that I'm too lazy to Google). Besides, since the release of 11.8 has caused a lot of panic and confusion amongst users:

I accidentally updated to 11.8, and found out that it makes it easier for Nintendo to ban you. I recently downgraded to 11.6.0.39. Now I can't go online, because it will either update or ask me to update.
    Is there any way to spoof the console's firmware so it thinks it's the latest version (or Nintendo thinks it is) so I can go online without needing to update? I would prefer something that you don't need to launch every boot.
    FW spoofing is so easy on the PS3/ PS Vita.

2. Hallowing

Hallowing Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2017
    United States
    CTR httpwn was the last project that did spoofing(that I know of), but I don't believe it works after 11.3 or even at all anymore

3. Itzumi

Itzumi Needs More Aesthetics

Jun 27, 2018
    United States
    USA
    I dont beleive we have a readily available solution for a problem like that.

4. trecko1234

trecko1234 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 10, 2013
    United States
    Being on 11.8 doesn't have any more of a chance to get you banned than previous versions, unless you try and download directly from Nintendo's CDN on your device without a real, encrypted and signed ticket, which you get from Nintendo themselves. This means things like freeshop will most likely get you banned. The check is only done on download, not on install or launching things you don't own (launching things while online and sending data to Nintendo has existed for a long time before this update). There is a LOT of misinformation being spread around about this new update, and threads like this definitely don't help to dispel rumors and make things clear.

Things like Villian3DS and WiiUsbHelper are safe for now, but they will most likely get blocked from downloading and stop being useful in the upcoming weeks/months.

See the images below for more clarification.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

5. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    Does freeshop or CIAngel actually use "NIM" that it would trigger this extra info being sent while on 11.8 anyway? That post kind of suggests not.

6. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    Nope. You can't get banned if you use Freeshop's internal download manager.