best current way to ftp transfer with n3dsxl?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by kofman13, Aug 27, 2018.

1. kofman13
    OP

kofman13 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 29, 2011
    United States
    I have New 3DS XL would like to transfer files from my computer to my 3DS's micro sd card without having to unscrew the back and take out the micro sd, put it into a usb adapter, and into my computer EVERY time i want to move a file. Whats a good Homebrew app that lets me ftp transfer files easily?

2. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
  3. kofman13
    OP

kofman13 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 29, 2011
    United States
    thank you!! ill try it out just to see how slow it is haha

4. Itzumi

Itzumi Needs More Aesthetics

Jun 27, 2018
    United States
    USA
    i usually use microsd management for small files, and for large files i plug my sd into my computer

tbb043 likes this.
  5. kofman13
    OP

kofman13 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 29, 2011
    United States
    is microsd management a homebrew app?

6. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    No it is a feature on the 3ds, that you can connect the 3ds to your computer remotely via mapping the device to the computer, somewhat of a network drive, where you have to create a username and password for the 3DS for the computer to login.

7. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    3DShell - has a nice file explorer GUI.
    From Windows desktop side, WinSCP.

Joel16 likes this.
  8. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Somewhere eating pizza
    On a N3DS the microSD management actually appears to be faster than FTP in some situations (like a lot of smaller sized files). The downside is that you have to go to Settings>Data management>microSD management every time you want to use it

9. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    I've been using the built in microsd management, now that I've got all the CFW installed and transferred all my older big roms via just plugging the card directly into the computer, but for smaller stuff like DS roms or GBA vc cias, or even an occasional 3ds game, it seems plenty fast enough. easier than opening up the damned backplate and taking out the sd every time I want something put on there.

Itzumi and zacchi4k like this.
  10. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Somewhere eating pizza
    That's why I always keep my small screwdriver set handy :P

11. Durelle

Durelle Acadien Einnnn~!

GBAtemp Patron
    Durelle is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 22, 2016
    Canada
    NB, Canada
    I just use ftpd, just more convenient imo

12. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    even still (i had a screwdriver kept nearby too), it's a hassle and annoyance opening up the back over and over. yeah could just keep the back off, but that bothers me for reasons I can't properly explain.

13. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Somewhere eating pizza
    That bothers me too

14. Dracari

Dracari GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 5, 2009
    United States
    unless you like having to re-enable SMBv1 every few weeks, because of Microsoft's fixes for wannacry, MicroSD Management's useless on anything vista n Newer. (part of thier "Fix" was to disable SMBv1 and keep it so it re-disables after a few short weeks.) unless you have an XP Machine/Linux PC(or dualboot) or use a VM, your just better off getting a MicroSD Reader, (telling of to go get a mSD Reader is aimed mainly at the OP, not just at you hayato,

and its clear Nintendo has no plans to update MicroSD Management to use SMBv3 which is the default for Network Shares in Windows now.