best config for uloader and Config USB Loader to co-exist?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by gizmomelb, Jul 14, 2010.

1. gizmomelb
    OP

Member gizmomelb GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Hi all,

I've been using Config USB loader for a long while and have ISO 249 as well as Hermes (V4 I think) 222 configured and all my games are 2GB split WBFS files stored on FAT32 formatted USB HDD.

I'm wanting to check out uLoader, however it appears that I need to convert all my games to ISO (and therefore NTFS format partition for the larger games)?

Any suggestions on what the ideal configuration - both cIOS / IOS / whatever needs to be installed, as well as how I should organise my data so it's all on the one USB HDD would be most welcome.

eg: should I install the Hermes in uLoader 5.1D? will it cause compatibility issues with Config USB Loader v57b7? etc.etc.

Thanks in advance.

2. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Let's see...let's start with an important question: why do you want to check out uloader?

As you mentioned, uloader can't use the .wbfs split files. Which means you either have to go back to the WBFS partition-thing, or convert all your games to .ciso format (and take note: games that contain more than 4GB in data can't be put on a FAT32 disc...and uloader doesn't support the splitting of .ciso files).

As such, I kinda advise against using uloader for all your games. The good news is that uloader and USB loader CFG aren't in each other's way. You can have them both installed at the same time. Heck...you can even create an iso forwarder for uloader, so it appears in your CFG's "games" list.

Now...uloader itself has some advantages (wiiware, VC & NAND emulation are at least interesting). For best compatibility, it's best to install the latest version (at the moment 5.1D) and version 5.0 or 5.1* of Hermes's cIOS (222, 223 and 224). Don't worry: for pretty much everything, USB loader CFG can use the latest version of Hermes's cIOS as well**.

My configuration is as follows:
    CFG: v57b6
    uloader: 5.1D
    cIOS 222: v5
    cIOS 223: v5
    cIOS 224: v5
    cIOS 249: rev 19 (base IOS 37)

And while it's not the most ideal one (there are some updates I haven't installed, and I haven't used bluedump to use two different flavors of rev19 in slot 249 and 250), it does work. I use CFG*** for my wii games (on FAT32), and uloader for wiiware/VC (also on that same FAT32 drive).

*I've tried upgrading from 5.0 to 5.1 a couple times, but it always returned a "bad hash". But 5.0 works fine as well
    **the only exception is music games. That's the reason why CFG users often advice to keep at least one of Hermes's cIOS'es in rev4. however, Waninkoko's rev19 with a base IOS of 37 runs the music games just fine.
    ***note: lately, I've been messing with wiiflow 2.1 a bit. Also looks kinda nice. It seems to have the same issues with music games in v5 of Hermes's cIOS, though.

3. bwillb

Member bwillb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    not to hijack the thread, but do you have a good link to a program or guide for doing that? one thing I haven't gotten my mitts into yet [​IMG] I found a link to a promising guide earlier but it 404'd [​IMG]

4. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Erm...yes and no. I created mine with 3 iso's studio. It's not the most easy program to use, but (in the end) it works.
    It should also be noted that on the last page, Spayrosam (the author) abandons the project in favor of autojaquettes (which I'm currently using to create covers) and something called autoISO (which I haven't tested as it requires wads).

5. gizmomelb
    OP

Australia
    Hi Wever,

many thanks for the reply.

the only real interest in any music games I have is the singstar conversions and being able to use 2x microphones, so thank you again for the info.

6. gizmomelb
    OP

Australia
    just a follow up on this:

I recently softmodded a friend's v4.2E Wii using the 'Modify ant Wii 4.3 and below' softmod detailed here - http://gbatemp.net/t171901-modify-any-wii-4-3-below and he uses the HBC with Config USB Loader just to play his games archived on a FAT32 formatted HDD, and uLoader 5.1E just to play the Wiiware / Virtual Console games he has on the same FAT32 formatted HDD - and it all works perfectly.

I guess I could set up forwarders for Config USB Loader and uLoader for him so he has less clicking to do, but he's happy and it just works.