OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.wiids.nl
XP
Country
Belgium
Okay, so all these chips on the market are very confusing. My Wii was bought near the release date, is PAL and this site says that "There is a 50% chance that your drive chip is a GC2-DMS and that the pins on your drive chip are not cut.".

What is the best choice for a chip?

paul1991

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would recomend that you not mod your wii at this point. There is too much happening. With each game release, more chips fall by the wayside.

With Super Mario Galaxy, WiiFree, DuoWii, chiip, wiip, wi-ic and the 2 first wiinjas were incompatible.
With SSBB, not many kept up. Wiinja never got an update, just a trick to burn. Wiikey is dead. CycloWiz is the best (And pretty much only) chip still standing.

If you really feel the need to mod, get a wasabi. It is the most promising at this point for your chipset.

All the D2C chips seem pretty solid, but you cant use them.

EDIT: changed "cube" to "wii". My bad. I am just thinking about my XenoGC from eurasia.

woytek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Also my little wiikey has done great for the past 6 months... Only downside up till this point is the retail copy of SSBB not running but an update is apparently in the making.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Shuny said:
I recommend CycloWiz because open source things are hard to update

NO.

OpenWii was the first OpenSource modchip to uprade by DVD.
YAOSM 3 updates by DVD.

Cyclowiz needs a switch.

QUOTE(paul1991 @ Mar 22 2008, 10:22 PM) I would recomend that you not mod your wii at this point. There is too much happening. With each game release, more chips fall by the wayside.

With Super Mario Galaxy, WiiFree, DuoWii, chiip, wiip, wi-ic and the 2 first wiinjas were incompatible.
With SSBB, not many kept up. Wiinja never got an update, just a trick to burn. Wiikey is dead. CycloWiz is the best (And pretty much only) chip still standing.

If you really feel the need to mod, get a wasabi. It is the most promising at this point for your chipset.

All the D2C chips seem pretty solid, but you cant use them.

EDIT: changed "cube" to "wii". My bad. I am just thinking about my XenoGC from eurasia.

Open Source chips are always supported and updated.

It really annoys me when peopple don't know their facts and make assertive statements.

timo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.wiids.nl
XP
Country
Belgium
So, you suggest an open-source chip. YAOSM sounds interesting, but I can't find any info about it on the web. Does it have a website with an install guide and stuff? Are there regular updates, can I be sure that in a couple of months time it isn't dead?

Also, is it easy to install, since I can't solder. At. All. Can a beginner solder this, or do you need to be an expert.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
timo said:
So, you suggest an open-source chip. YAOSM sounds interesting, but I can't find any info about it on the web. Does it have a website with an install guide and stuff? Are there regular updates, can I be sure that in a couple of months time it isn't dead?

Also, is it easy to install, since I can't solder. At. All. Can a beginner solder this, or do you need to be an expert.

its forum is here: http://wiinewz.com/forums/yaosm/
you can be sure of good support. the programmer bell is there on the forum, ready to listen to suggestions and comments
it's quite easy to install, only 5 wires. you'll need a programmer though to program the chip.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm confused, too. I recently got a Wii (D2B cut) that was supposedly broken and fixed it up. I've been looking at different sites to figure out which modchip to get. Apparently, the Wlip is compatible DMS/D2A/D2B and makes it a nonsolder solution for PIC-type drivechips (YAOSM and OpenWii).

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The problem is like the OP, I don't want to solder.

There are places that sell preprogrammed PICs with YAOSM 3.0 on it. If what I heard about YAOSM 3.0 introducing DVD upgradibility is true then you don't need a programmer anymore (Is that right?).

loz_the_guru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
the wlip seems to have positive reviews, then bad user feedback. cant decide whether to get one, but the ridiculously expensive postage from the only re-seller is certainly off putting!

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Jiggah said:
The problem is like the OP, I don't want to solder.

There are places that sell preprogrammed PICs with YAOSM 3.0 on it. If what I heard about YAOSM 3.0 introducing DVD upgradibility is true then you don't need a programmer anymore (Is that right?).
Well not exactly.
The ERPROM on a PIC is very small so for more complete updates you still need to program it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo