Best card for homebrew?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by zeldarocks, Jul 19, 2008.

Jul 19, 2008

Best card for homebrew? by zeldarocks at 7:45 PM (3,602 Views / 0 Likes) 25 replies

1. zeldarocks
    OP

Newcomer zeldarocks Advanced Member

I have been reading some reviews and such and I've been seeing mixed results, What is the best 1-slot solution for ds homebrew?

2. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    If you want something exclusive for homebrew, you may aswell get something cheap like the edge card or an R4 as you wont need any of the features that the more expensive cards have.

3. Orillian

Newcomer Orillian Member

Canada
    I'd go with the R4, up here in Canada at least you can get them for $20-$25. They are well made and one R4 with a 2GB card and your set for homebrew forever. I have all the homebrew I can find that is worth playing or using (DS Organize rocks!) and I think I have like 95% of my card still empty. [​IMG] I'd have to go pull it out of my DS and hook it up to tell you, but ya not a lot of space taken up! [​IMG]

Besides price the R4 is very simple and no frills and has a 100% homebrew rate so far. I've never found any that do not work on it! and it will boot a GBA slot device with out issues as well. Of the 3 carts I own it's actually the one I use the most.

R4, SCDS1, M3

O.

4. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    I would go for the DSTT or Acekard 2.

5. zeldarocks
    OP

in regrds to the R4, I read the review here on GBAtemp, and it seems over half of the tested homebrew would fail with R4...

6. zeldarocks
    OP

All the homebrew compat lists I've seen have at least one app fail... I don't know what to get, the R4 is not a good idea, because I've seen the review here at gbatemp, and over half of homebrew fails on tat card...

7. Kazumastars

Newcomer Kazumastars Advanced Member

United States
    The R4 Review here is WAY outdated. I think just about every homebrew on the last is fixed now. The R4 is a great homebrew device and an OK game device.

8. zeldarocks
    OP

so, final verdict?

9. SolidusRegime

Newcomer SolidusRegime Member

Australia
    CycloDS Evolution.

Is and always will be the best!

10. zeldarocks
    OP

Something that throws me of about CycloDS is the fact that, according to the review, DSLinux does not work with it, Have there been any firmware updates to correct that issue?

11. DarthNemesis

Member DarthNemesis GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    It would be infinitely more useful if you actually explained why.

12. SylvWolf

Member SylvWolf Ave Dominus Nox

United States
    With the onset of DLDI, I really don't think it matters which card you buy, they're all going to have near-perfect homebrew compatibility. So, it more or less depends on how much money you want to spend. I'd suggest going for the cheapest card you can find if it's only for homebrew.

13. zeldarocks
    OP

Does R4 have auto DLDI patching now?

14. zeldarocks
    OP

again does R4 have auto DLDI patching?

And what good would it do to get an ez flash?

15. Trippy

Member Trippy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The R4 still isn't good for homebrew, nor is the DSTT from what I've read on other message boards where people are saying X can't run on the card. I think it's better to avoid these two and pick something fromthe remaining ones.

16. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    R4 is excellent homebrew compatibility, everything that isn't ancient will run on it.

and yes, the R4 does have auto DLDI patching.

the DSTT has some problems with certain homebrew for some reason, DSLinux, SSBR and some others, the R4 doesn't have these problems though.

17. Orillian

Newcomer Orillian Member

Canada
    To confirm what Sephiroth said, yes the R4 is great for homebrew and it does have DLDI patching.

My reasons for saying the R4 is a good homebrew cart is due to the fact that the pricing on them is great atm.

They are well built.

They are super simple to use, some of the other carts have fancy all over the place interfaces, the R4 has 3 menu options, slot 1, moonshell and slot 2, once in the slot 1 menu it's a simple text menu you navigate with the dpad. No frills, no extras to get in the way.

It's fast in menu's unlike many of the carts.

Has decent homebrew loading speeds as well.

It also has really simple skinning, so a person can pop in a skin they like really fast.

ya it does not have a lot of the new features like SDHC or Real Time Save etc...but those are all features you only really need for backup roms. So as a cheap homebrew cart, R4 and it's simplicity is in my books the best.

As mentioned before, I've not found one Homebrew that does not work on the R4. And I've played aruond with a LOT of them.

O.

18. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    I've been using a GnM (BAD CARD!) for a long time and if you DLDI it, it works 99% (one DS browser didn't work). If you looking for a good card for homebrew and DS Games go for SCD1 ($30 from DX).

19. zeldarocks
    OP

So final verdict is R4 right?

20. klown07

Newcomer klown07 Advanced Member

United States
    I'll have to agree about the R4DS. I'm using one myself. so far I've been able to play nanashi no game and a lot of other games recently out one way or another.