OP
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
best-buy-to-close-uk-operations-1-100-jobs-in-jeopardy.jpeg

We knew Best Buy planned to close 50 of its big box retail locations by the end of its 2013 fiscal year, and now (just days after Mike Mikan took the CEO-reigns from Brian Dunn) it's detailed all of the stores that'll be getting the boot. As it stands, two locations have already been shut down, with six others set to close before the year is out -- and the company hopes to clear out the remaining 42 before May 12th.

Stores closing down, time to change the business model it seems.

Source

freaksloan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I stopped going to Best Buy years ago. Prices are 20 to 30% higher than I can get elsewhere. The staff is not very knowlegable and they don't leave you alone, they stalk you and try to sell you stuff you don't want. Then when you find something in their ad you want for a price you are willing to pay, they don't have it.

Amazon is the only way to go.

Reactions: 3 people

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Although I am still immensely amused at their UK venture (and hasty retreat at the end of it all) I did have the dubious pleasure of appearing in a couple of their US stores when I was there last year.... although I would sooner appear there than a lot of UK high street shops I still have to say good riddance to bad rubbish. I would have said they were a nice place to look at things before you went and got them online but that would be a lie as well (different models a lot of the time and TVs calibrated so badly* I had to work to figure out which was better).

Sadly I did not get the chance to bait the staff there or gain any classic cons/stupidity to add to the list as I filtered them out.

*this despite sending some spotty oik to properly calibrate one that was purchased from there who by all accounts did a half decent job.

Online only or not I will leave to debate (not every business is happy to have reception have parcels delivered to it and many more do not have a job capable of it) but I still reckon a pile it high and sell it cheap enough to compete approach would be good.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
They have BestBuy locations up here, in addition to at least as many FutureShop stores. Same place, different colour scheme.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I stopped going to Best Buy years ago. Prices are 20 to 30% higher than I can get elsewhere. The staff is not very knowlegable and they don't leave you alone, they stalk you and try to sell you stuff you don't want. Then when you find something in their ad you want for a price you are willing to pay, they don't have it.

Amazon is the only way to go.

This is exactly why I stopped shopping at BestBuy. I swear, they take advantage of people who don't have knowledge of electronics.

Reactions: 1 person

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if any are closing near me, maybe I can pick up some sweet store clearance swag.

But I can't say I enjoy Best Buy at all or really see the point. That's the same with most stores. I spend most of my money on video games anyway and I can get them all pretty much cheaper on Amazon. Maybe it's because I can't go out to the stores whenever I feel like it but Amazon also just has better prices, better selection, and it's easier to use.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More like broken economy starting to hit the big guys again :glare:

I don't think it's so much of the economy, BestBuy's competition have them beat. In a world of emerging innovation, Bestbuy nearly lacks every way. The only time I go to best buy is for an extremely small selection of products and that's when I need them fast. When you see $50 HDMI cables and some prices 1.5 times as much as online purchases; the only people who actually buy these items are being exploited.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't say that Best Buy is great or anything, but I've gotten some great deals there before. It would certainly hate to see the local one go down.

I don't know, I just feel bad for the stockholders. I guess it wasn't the best buy after all.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Best Buy started going down hill after they bought circuit city out. good company absorbs bad company and slowly changes into the bad company themselves.

Dr Eggman

I am THE Eggman.
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Canada
When was BestBuy ever a good company? Lol

But seriously, Canada really sucks when it comes to electronics. If we buy in store, gotta pay tax (13% here :() on top of the markup, and if we buy online, Canada Post is so expensive, and we sometimes still have to pay tax.

The only thing that feels ok is when I realize UK VAT is 20%... You guys got it harsh :O

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More like broken economy starting to hit the big guys again :glare:

I don't think it's so much of the economy, BestBuy's competition have them beat. In a world of emerging innovation, Bestbuy nearly lacks every way. The only time I go to best buy is for an extremely small selection of products and that's when I need them fast. When you see $50 HDMI cables and some prices 1.5 times as much as online purchases; the only people who actually buy these items are being exploited.

Hmm, you got a point there guy, they may just be going the way of circuit city.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
I dread going in their stores because of the pushy salesmen at every arms length. Ugh, it's worse than ScamStop.
Still, it's sad seeing businesses going under and real lives being effected.

However, no stores nearby my residence are being shuttered so I guess that's good for me. :toot:
(in the rare event they actually have an incentive for me to endure their wretched sales shtick)

emugirl1994

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
formspring.me
XP
Country
United States
It's not totally bad that Best Buy is closing down 50 of its stores in their chain. In the same Engadget article, it's stated that "and despite the impending closures, the company says it'll try to re-position them within the company or offer up severance packages". Not as bad as a lay-off if Best Buy decides to restructure their company and just shift employees around or give them the severance package.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot to mention that their Geek Squad deserves to burn in hell. What a bunch of fucking jokes.

A long time ago we brought in one of our computers for a virus issue. I wasn't too computer savvy at the time so that's my excuse for letting this happen. They charge us like $150 for a virus removal. Then they put on their fucking bloatware antivirus that we still have to pay for yearly.

I guess as a testament to how shit their antivirus was, we got another virus later on. By then, I'd learned my share about computers. I was able to deal with it by myself. For free. Kicked off that shit antivirus and started using Microsoft Security Essentials. Which was better. And was free.

The Geek Squad is the largest group of rip offs I've seen. They just nickel and dime old ladies who don't know anything about computers. They're professional scam artists but people can't do shit about them.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I forgot to mention that their Geek Squad deserves to burn in hell. What a bunch of fucking jokes.

A long time ago we brought in one of our computers for a virus issue. I wasn't too computer savvy at the time so that's my excuse for letting this happen. They charge us like $150 for a virus removal. Then they put on their fucking bloatware antivirus that we still have to pay for yearly.

I guess as a testament to how shit their antivirus was, we got another virus later on. By then, I'd learned my share about computers. I was able to deal with it by myself. For free. Kicked off that shit antivirus and started using Microsoft Security Essentials. Which was better. And was free.

The Geek Squad is the largest group of rip offs I've seen. They just nickel and dime old ladies who don't know anything about computers. They're professional scam artists but people can't do shit about them.

Every time I see a Geek Squad car in a place that's not Best Buy, I key it. True story.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: