Gaming Best Bomberman games to play?

Reploid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I've just finished with Bomberman R. Yeah, took me long enough. But I only stimulated my Bomberman itch with it. I want more bombermans. Or should I say bombermen?

I know there is stuff like Bomberman Ultra which is just for skirmishes, but I want a game with campaign of some kind. I really enjoyed Custom Battler Bomberman (Bomberman DS2), for it's rich mechanics and challenging difficulty. It had no real plot, but plot is appreciated. There is Bomberman Story series, how good it is? Which game is the best?

Bomberman 3DS looked nice, but... you know what happened. Are there games like this one, but released earlier?

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I want more bombermans… I want a game with campaign of some kind.

Bomberman Tournament on the GBA (actually my first GBA game) has a story mode that's vaguely reminiscent of Zelda - with dungeons to complete. It also has you collecting essentially bomb-themed Pokémon that have various effects on your abilities e.g. preventing bombs exploding until activated, letting you throw bombs rather than dropping them &c.

Further research tells me this is the Bomberman Story you mentioned. I enjoyed it, but you may well find it too easy.

Reactions: Reploid

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Super Bomberman 2 for the Snes is the best Bomberman imo has a story, decent levels and good bosses. Great Music too..
(Enter 1111 as your password to get Remote Bombs at start of game ;) muhahaha)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am usually less bothered by single player bomberman.

Anyway best

Whatever PCE/TG16 version floats your boat. If you think the 16 bit era stuff for the more popular consoles is where it is at then yeah check those out.

Super gameboy version of whatever ones on the gameboy work with it. Best kept secret really.

Atomic Bomberman provided you have some restraint. That said being PC only that probably knocks the Switch out of the running.

If you can get past tall bombermans (I really should finish that patch) then the Japan-Europe exclusive one on the DS. It is about as pure as anything ever got prior to the likes of XBLA bomberman -- most of the 2d stuff following the 16 bit era usually piled on the gimmicks, did not have the controls and generally was unsatisfying.

Saturn Bomberman. For some this is the clear and undisputed champion. I don't think it is nearly as good as some claim but it is still super good and a serious contender for the top spot.

I am also the kind of freak that enjoys the N64 bombermans, and even care to do the story modes which are more like puzzles (especially the costume pieces aspect). That said such heresy might get me burned as a witch/poser in the bomberman fan club. However depending upon what it is you like about it then it might not do for you or be something of an acquired taste you have to work at.

Everything else is recognisably bomberman but lacking the polish/response I really want.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It seems like Bomberman universe as rich as one could imagine. Thanks to all for the answers.
I don't know if I would quite go there.

NES-GB era
Cutesy but basic graphics (it was only 8 bit after all), basic mazes and pretty much the core concept.

16 bit era
Typified by the PCE games (though despite that I will usually just go with the megadrive one and have a great time). Taken as a whole package then some of the finest pixel art the world has ever seen, not yet overloaded with silly powerups and gimmicks, stages all had their own nice flavour and mechanic twist, story mode was OK enough but nowhere near as compelling as multiplayer/arena. I reckon some hacks could make it better (not so many exist, see also Atomic Bomberman) and give some more options but that is usually the case.
Pinnacle of this might well have been the Saturn entry but I will debate that one happily. On the other hand if you are a rich man and can get all the controllers, multitaps, a working Saturn, a copy of this and have a big enough friend count (and room to get everybody in) then full bore local multiplayer Saturn Bomberman is the stuff of legends. Though at the same time multiplayer Bomberman is a test of friendships unlike any other so be aware of that one.
As mentioned above as well then if you can get a super gameboy setup and the multiplayer version of that going on then it is also really good there. So few know about that though, mainly because very little emulates the super gameboy and they are hard to sort in the real world at the best of times. https://loveconquersallgam.es/post/2350461718/fuck-the-super-game-boy-introduction being a nice article on the super gameboy.

R and the XBLA entries then being somewhat nice returns to this concept -- I still remember testing R at the Switch press thing I went along to... that was probably one of the highlights (some people had their first go at zelda breath of the wild, others splatoon 2, fumble with ARMS or the option to replay mario kart from the wii u... this and Sonic did it for me).

GBA era continuing through the DS.
Bomberman Max then being the type defining affair. Graphics morphed to still sprites but mostly in the GBA style rather than the 16 bit stuff. Story almost took on RPG type aspects.
The DS got a bit experimental (again see tall bombers) and we also started to see more and more silly powerups, and often the loss of some more core ones (the riding dinosaurs for one). Often you can still set up enough options that you can make a classic Bomberman (I understand why they did it and it is usually nerfed so hard it is nowhere near game breaking but it is hard to understate quite how much I dislike the ride around the edge firing bombs after you die mechanic) but for me it never quite felt the same.
If you came up with these games then you might have something of a fondness for them however, and they continue on with enough of the 16 bit tradition that I don't necessarily dislike them. Would not be what I hold up as all that and more though.

N64 and gamecube era.
Move to 3d and rather than line bombs was usually bombs growing in spherical size which changes things radically. This is also early 3d and while it probably holds up better than most things from the same time period (indeed only really cel shaded and 3d used sparingly or for Resident Evil style backgrounds that will do better) is it still that. I maintain you can have some serious fun with these but if bombs in a line and that whole thing is what you are about then yeah.

Unmitigated disaster.
See Act Zero

See party games.
I really dislike these. Anyway basically Mario Party but for Bomberman fans and probably pleasing neither of those groups -- liking N64 Bomberman is a bold move in Bomberman fan club but party games is outright heretical. Still there are some fans of the concept, even if they are not invited to be my friends.

Bomberman Racing is also one of the "wants to be mario kart rather than making our own take" kart racers and possibly one of the worst of those (lego racers has many things to teach us, as do several others, not so sure here). Everything had that, or a bad fighting game, so I am not worried there.

Throughout it all you get some interesting twists and takes at times with different teams taking things and running with it (Atomic Bomberman being what happens when you let the inmates run the asylum but somewhere in there is something really good).

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I guess bomberman hero isn't getting any love? I know, is vastly different than most bomberman games. 3D and all that with platforming and stuff.

Being honest here, never owned a bomberman game. First time I even heard of it was a demo disc for playstation, me and my brother would play it for hours, trying to beat the cpu until is just the two of us left. :ninja:

Then a friend of mine had bomberman on Nintendo 64, called bomberman hero. I was shocked cause it was only ONE PLAYER and play nothing like the playstation one. But I thought it was cool to see still. But is probably least favorite among many.

My favorite are the ones on gameboy. Wario blast featuring bomberman was exactly what you expect. A bomberman featuring wario. You had to pick one off the characters, fight copies of the other and each boss you defeat, you earn a permanent power up. Then pocket bomberman for gameboy color had color. It also 2D instead of the "pseudo-3D" the traditional games are. So you have to jump a lot. Real nice since I like mario games a lot. Bomber man 2 on DS is best. ::P

Still there so many games I haven't played. I usually look for ones that is unique in single player, cause most of them are structured the same, especially for multiplayer, I feel is not as interesting. If multiplayer is the thing you seek, it always comes down to "Which game has the best multiplayer?" and the answer is probably the one with the most recent release. Now for best single player? Much harder to answer, nintendo 64 has different gameplay and is in 3D, the gameboy ones have some sort of gimmicks, and so on.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Agree that Saturn Bomberman was the absolute pinnacle of the one-console one-screen billions-of-controllers couch multiplayer, and was at a time in my life when I could make that happen. Absolute win.

e: not just in terms of Bomberman games - it was basically the best couch multiplayer game of all time.

ee: also the best multitap, obv.
s-l400.jpg

(need two of them for 10 players...)

Last edited by hippy dave,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)