Best (and cheapest!) wireless router for DS (UK)

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by richufc, Jun 30, 2006.

Jun 30, 2006
  1. richufc
    OP

Newcomer richufc Advanced Member

Featured Posts:
    Can anyone recommend a good and preferably cheapish wireless router/modem for use with the DS? I'm in the UK so if you can buy it here that'd be a bonus too!

My current wireless router doesn't like my DS at all and won't play ball. Think I'll get a new one for when the web browser comes out - that's going to be bloody excellent.

Cheers guys!

2. SDodnetnin

Newcomer SDodnetnin Advanced Member

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Did you make sure you switched your router over to WEP mode before you tried using your DS with it?

On a side note, the browser is going to suck. No flash support, no pdf support, takes up both cartridge slots in your DS, no video, no sound, can't save anything except bookmarks, etc.

3. richufc
    OP

Newcomer richufc Advanced Member

Featured Posts:
    Tried everything to get the damn thing working. With WEP, without WEP. Pissed about with every setting on the router I could and still no joy. Wouldn't like to guess how many hours I wasted before giving up!

The browser won't be that bad. As long as I can check email and ebay etc. with it then it may just be the greatest thing ever.

4. Darkspark

Member Darkspark GBAtemp Fan

Featured Posts:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, I know a few poeple that are having trouble with wi-fi and have d-link routers.

I recommend a netgear wireless router. I have a Netgear 834GT.
    Get something similar, and cheaper, but netgears are great. They connect to everything wireless that has even been in this house.

5. Darkspark

Member Darkspark GBAtemp Fan

Featured Posts:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, I know a few poeple that are having trouble with wi-fi and have d-link routers.

I recommend a netgear wireless router. I have a Netgear 834GT.
    Get something similar, and cheaper, but netgears are great. They connect to everything wireless that has even been in this house.

6. HeinzHarald

Member HeinzHarald Advanced Member

Featured Posts:
    Sweden
    Remember that you often must enter the settings manually in the DS, for it to work. That is IP, DNS, Gateway, and Subnet mask.

7. nunofgs

Member nunofgs GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    Portugal
    Actually, yes! Go to www.fon.com. You can get a linksys router/ap that is compatible with dd-wrt (the best router firmware out there) for 5 euros!!! They only ship through DHL Express so you're looking at 23€ (or something close to that) total.

That router is worth at least 70-80€!

The drawback: you have to provide wireless for other people as you will become part of the fon community.
    The advantages: dirt-cheap router plus you can limit the bandwidth for outside people AND you can choose to receive money from people who use your wireless internet! It's a WIN-WIN [​IMG]

8. HeinzHarald

Member HeinzHarald Advanced Member

Featured Posts:
    Sweden
    Well if it's possible to install that firmware (FON already have their own firmware installed) you'd probably be violating the FON agreement, and liable to pay €45 or so extra for the router.

9. nunofgs

Member nunofgs GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    Portugal
    I did not say you should install dd-wrt... I was merely pointing out the fact that they are selling the v4 version of the linksys router (which is compatible with dd-wrt) and thought to be one of the best routers out there for its price.

In fact, I would recommed you stay with the FON firmware as the differences aren't that many and you are contributing to a good cause.