Best and Cheapest emulation

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by isaac17, Jan 4, 2007.

Jan 4, 2007

Best and Cheapest emulation by isaac17 at 12:02 AM (981 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. isaac17
    OP

Newcomer isaac17 Advanced Member

I know you guys get a thousand of these questions a day, and I've stayed pretty up to date with what's out there (I used to be active on here, for a little bit anyway), but new things keep on coming out. Basically, I'm getting a DS lite in a few days, and I want to know what your opinion on the best combination of hardware for modding that's out there. I was pretty interested in the R4DS until I heard you couldn't play GBA games, which is a consideration. I'll probably end up buying this: http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-MicroSD-Tran...8&s=electronics
    for my memory card (unless you guys think I should get something else) just because it's so cheap and looks nicer than some out there... But I still need to know what the cheapest and best (in your opinions) option for the Pass/Flash or whatever, and the GBA slot (card reader deal).

I just want to hear everyone's opinion, so everyone post [​IMG]

2. Propionation

Newcomer Propionation Advanced Member

United States
    It depends on what you need. Since you want GBA I would suggest the M3 lite because it has decent GBA compatibility. Or even the EZFlash IV lite cause it has better GBA compatibility.

Personally I'll get an R4 cause I don't care for homebrew or GBA at all.

3. isaac17
    OP

You know what? Your right. I have a macbook, with tons of emulators on it, including gba emulators. I really just need a ds emulator, w/ video support. And the 2 options I see that look best for that are the R4 and the M3 Simply. Another question I have, is how big is the average DS rom? Saves are 512kb, and I need to estimate how much space I'll need to keep a good stock of games on my ds. Thanks!

4. Propionation

Newcomer Propionation Advanced Member

United States
    512 MByte is enough for games
    1GByte if you want to store games, videos, and music
    2GByte if you want to store movies along with everything else.

5. lickmy

Newcomer lickmy Member

Afghanistan
    Games range between 8mb (megabytes, not bits) and 128mb

6. glitchbit

Member glitchbit GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I would not mind being able to play GBA games and homebrew but first and foremost I want a device that will let me play DS games without zapping its battery life to 50%. So the R4 it is! I will purchase another slot 2 solution for my homebrew and gba games, eventually however I would not be surprised to see another slot 1 device fix this issue or maybe even a firmware update to the current line.

One thing is for sure, I think the R4 team knows more of what they are doing than the M3 team, so I will gladly pay them equal or more to have their product. I don't mean this as a hit to the M3 team, I am sure they are on the same side but I'd like to see these companies/marketeers have unique products and not clones. And the DSX GUI looks way better, but... it has its glaring limitations.

7. isaac17
    OP

Well, I'm a huge RPG guy but I want various other games, and I plan on sticking some videos on. I know for a fact that I'll use more than 512mb by the first week, but in you guys' experiences how much have you used up? I want to load it with games crap (I already have an ipod nano, I'll probably get an iPhone too when it comes out in a couple weeks, so music isn't going to be on it.) I don't know, how many games are actually 128mb? Most of what I play will be RPGs... I'm thinking 1gb and then upgrade to 2 1gb cards if needs be.

8. glitchbit

Member glitchbit GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Considering the resolution of the DS you should be able to fit an entire length movie on it in probably 200mb no problems, so to say you need a 2gb for a full length feature film o0? Unless the DS movie playback can't support very good codecs atm which I don't know? I just know my pda is based on the same cpu's and it does fine. At any rate yes I have ordered that bulk card, it would seem the speed issues have more to do with the DS flash card you buy than the SD card itself.

As soon as I get it all in I will let yall know what I think about it but I will not be able to test it against faster cards.

9. tehcamel

Member tehcamel GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i have a sandisk ultra II 1gb and it holds about 20 games on it.
    i have an sc lite and an m3 simply and both are great cards.

if u want to save cash and dont care about gba or homebrew theres the sc rumble. u have to patch the roms however the benefits of this is that you can trim them to save space and fit more games and theres soft reset.

m3/r4 if u want drag and drop (no patching required) downside so far is no soft reset.