Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
*I have been wanting to buy a 3x3x3 cube. I don't know what to buy....

I have seen the Rubik's Cube and a few other ones on DealExtreme. I am just wondering what you guys recommend?

I am looking for one that can slide smooth, and if needed, I will take it apart just to put some lubrication. But what comes first is smooth gliding, and maximum price is $20 (after taxes.) CAD.

Also got a question...
- What does DIY stand for? (Do It Yourself?)

I have seen a lot at DealExtreme. Wondering if they are any good. So that is all I am asking. If you know any good retailers in Canada, Ontario tell meh~!

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmmm
i havent bought any online so i wouldnt really know

i bought a Rubiks cube (i dont really trust knock offs) from a local toy store
slides well (and if not, just add oil or w/e)

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That is all I know. Toys R Us has the Rubiks Cube there. I am just wondering if there is anything cheaper.

I know PharaohVizier has some article on Eastsheen Cubes vs. Rubiks Cubes. I saw a few cubes at DealExtreme and were wondering if they were going to move smoothly. I would add Vaseline (or Petroleum Jelly) to make it glide smoothly too.

DIY 3x3x3 Cube (Black) $6.36
DIY 3x3x3 Cube (White) $6.89

Those two are the ones I have been wondering if they are worth. IF they aren't, I might as well go with Rubik's then.

alltooamorous

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If the cube is the one pictured, they are nice DIY cubes. I have bought ones like those on another site that sells Rubik's related products. These cubes move much faster than a Rubik's brand cube (the store bought ones).

In addition, I wouldn't recommend using petroleum jelly. You can buy a nice lubricant called CRC Heavy Duty Silicone. Below is an image of it. It could be found at most hardware stores like Ace or Menards and costs under two dollars usually. It works better and lasts longer than petroleum jelly.

41Y3E0Wqe5L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

(Oh yeah haha forgot >.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well.... I just went to Zellers today. I was about to buy a 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube but then my Dad stopped me from buying it because my little sister had her own "knock off" 3x3x3 Cube from Michael's (Yes the Arts and Craft Store).

So now, I am still striving it get one, but first I am going to play around with this cube first. After, I will tell my Dad all about it... Gonna try to finish it. I hate it though since it can't glide smoothly. It is very stiff, and he still won't let me buy one. I am gonna show him the one at DX sooner or later. But right now, I am not going to.

And thanks for the site ^^.

Man18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go with a generic one, they slide smooth enough anyway. check thrift shops, grocery stores, general stores ect.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a generic one (off of Michael's the Arts and Crafts store). It sucks... It is very choppy, and when I say choppy, it won't glide smoothly. Once I added Vaseline, it popped a lot when my little sister used it.

I have a feeling I might get a Type A (1) or a Type C cube. I read some video of a guy reviewing them, and they seem to be the most reliable and most useful/best based on my expectations.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Plus a lot of the times they just seemed half hearted attempts