Best 3ds flash card for transferring pokémon

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by edmundac, Dec 23, 2016.

1. edmundac
    OP

edmundac Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    I have a 2ds and would like to buy a flash card for it. I want to be able to transfer Pokémon from gen v to gen vi roms and then to a gen vii room and then ultimately to a legit gen vii game all through pokebank. First, it's this possible with a flash card? If so, what's the cheapest flash card that can do this? If not, how far can I get in this plan with a flash card? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I'm getting back into the ds and haven't had a flash card since my ds lite. Thanks.

2. nechigawara

nechigawara Citizen of Gamindustri

Oct 14, 2006
    Thailand
    Planeptune
    Gen V Rom on Flashcard > Any Gen VI Cart/Roms: You can't do this.
    Gen V Legit Card > Gen VI Rom on GW/Sky3DS: Someone tell me that you can do this, but I think go A9LH + CFW + CIA would be cheaper and easier.
    Another option is using Pkhex to move between Gen V > Gen VII. Although I'm not sure how legit Pkhex can do since I never use this method.

3. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Transferring Pokémon directly using PkHex is much easier.

4. edmundac
    OP

edmundac Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    Can those pokemon be determined to be illegal or hacked, even if I don't do anything to them?

5. Xiphiidae

Xiphiidae ξίφος εἶδος

Sep 13, 2009
    Australia
    Not through PokéBank, but you can transfer your Gen V save file to your computer, transfer the individual Pokémon to .pk6 files or to a Gen VI save file via PKHeX, which you can then import/inject via 3DS homebrew.

I'm not sure, but it's possible. Transferring Pokémon between generations other than through legit methods may not make them identical to how PokéBank alters them upon transfer.

Last edited by Xiphiidae, Dec 23, 2016
  6. edmundac
    OP

edmundac Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    Well, I don't want to hack the device because that can open up a pandoras box of issues. It may be more difficult, but I liked the flash cards before and prefer to go that route.

7. Xiphiidae

Xiphiidae ξίφος εἶδος

Sep 13, 2009
    Australia
    I would consider using flashcarts a waste of money and putting yourself at an unnecessary risk of getting banned, but that's your choice.

At any rate, I'm not familiar with how 3DS flashcarts work in regards to save files, but I believe what you want to accomplish is possible, but not through PokéBank.

8. CreAtor135

CreAtor135 GBATemp's #1 Nothing

Jan 10, 2015
    United States
    Ikeb, Ukuro
    You can't use Homebrew banks to transfer Pokemon at this time, because they will be considered illegal, however, when the time does come, you could use PKSM's already implemented Homebrew bank.

9. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    Literally use PKHex. Just open both save data files in PKHEX and then just drag them from one to the other, save and inject the save. That's what I did.

Xiphiidae likes this.
  10. nechigawara

Oct 14, 2006
    Thailand
    Planeptune
    I already mention this in my post. The first 2 statement is only true with Pokebank, which it's the method that OP want to do.

11. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    Oh BTW if the pokemon does not exist in the current gen you cant do anything with it online till bank comes out. It cannot even be from another game as well. I could not trade a pokemon with ORAS capture data even though the pokemon was native.

12. Xiphiidae

Xiphiidae ξίφος εἶδος

Sep 13, 2009
    Australia
    My apologies; that's what I get for only reading the first two lines.

At any rate, @edmundac, sadly there's no way to use PokéBank with DS flashcarts.

13. Distrance

Distrance 矢澤にこ

Nov 23, 2008
    Finland
    Spoken like a person who knows nothing about CFW. Why do you think having CFW will "open a pandoras box of issues". I've CFW'ed 4 consoles now, all without a hitch. The end result is far superior to what any flash card could ever offer.

Not to mention that going online with a rom on a flash card is a surefire way to get banned, but going online with a CFW'd console and installed CIA has zero chance of you getting banned.

I liked flash cards too in the past. Easy to use, and modding a console with CFW requires effort. And I hate putting effort to anything .. I'm lazy. But there's guides, all you literally need is a comprehension of written text. And the end result far overweighs the little pros that flashcards do offer.

Last edited by Distrance, Dec 23, 2016
    Xiphiidae likes this.
  14. edmundac
    OP

edmundac Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    Well, I've installed CFW on other devices before and there are always bugs and issues which I would prefer to avoid. That's why I asked the question I did to begin with. No need to assume I know nothing about CFW and imply that I'm lazy. I also asked how far l could get if it wasn't possible to do what I wanted. But I guess every thread asking a simple question by someone who is trying to learn from people who know more they do MUST end up turning into an insult-fest.

15. Xiphiidae

Xiphiidae ξίφος εἶδος

Sep 13, 2009
    Australia
    There's no need to be so sensitive. You asked your questions, and received responses. If you're going to make claims about CFW having more issues relative to flashcarts, people are going to call you out on it; no need to take any of that personally. People suggesting CFW over flashcarts are only trying to help, as they don't want to see people spend a lot of money just to get banned when they could be accomplishing what they want to (and more) for free with CFW. But, as I said before, if you're set on using a flashcart with your 3DS, that is ultimately your choice to make.

Anyway, there's no way of doing what you want to as you described, as PokéBank cannot be used with DS flashcarts. Your options are: use PKHeX and 3DS homebrew to transfer your Pokémon from earlier generations, or temporarily use a legit Gen V game cart to transfer Pokémon via PokéBank.

16. nechigawara

Oct 14, 2006
    Thailand
    Planeptune
    Beware, Legit Gen V cart is not cheap, even 2nd hand one.

17. edmundac
    OP

edmundac Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    I guess I'll look into the CFW since I don't want to spend $100 on something that won't do what I want to do.

18. Xiphiidae

Xiphiidae ξίφος εἶδος

Sep 13, 2009
    Australia
    Note that transferring Pokémon from Gen V to Gen VI via PokéBank/PokéTransporter will require a legit Gen V cartridge; your best bet would be to go down the not-completely-legit PKHeX route.