Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
bernie_stolar_thumb.jpg

Bernie Stolar

QUOTE said:
Bitmob: If we could send you back in time, with the benefit of hindsight, what would you do to make the Dreamcast survive and thrive?

Bernie Stolar:
Is something called money. And a commitment from the company.

When [former Sega President Hayao] Nakayama was pushed out of the company, the company really changed.

Bitmob: How so?

BS:
The heart and soul of Sega came from him, and he really believed that software drove hardware -- which is true. He also believed that if you´re going to be a major competitor in the gaming world, you needed to own the hardware platform.

Bitmob: So what did Sega do wrong after you guys left?

BS: When Nakayama was pushed out and when I was pushed out, I think what took place was, Mr. [Isao] Okawa, who then became the chairman of the company -- he was an investment banker from CSK [Holdings Corporation].... I don´t believe he was committed to the hardware. He just believed it should be a software company.

Bitmob: And that was ultimately the Dreamcast downfall....

BS: Yeah, the company didn´t put the money into it. The company basically abandoned the system.

icon11.gif
Source

Dreamcast is for me one of the best systems that have appeared in the history of videogames, I read inepts saying the console of Sega fail for number of reasons related with the myth of video games are technology, people who say the console had to have a DVD player, people say that Sega should have waited a year to compete as equals with Playstation 2. In the end, you find what happened is Sega cast out a president who believed that software is what controls the sales of hardware and Sega as a manufacturer with the obligation to move the sales of hardware creating software to do that consumers want to buy the console.

In any case, it is good to know Dreamcast was not adrift on the grounds that many blame, for a poor planning of a directive who really don´t understood how goes the videogames and the company was destroyed by inside.

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I realize now that if you don't like Metal Gear, Final Fantasy and anime related crap all the best games last gen were on the DC, the Xbox and even the GCN to some extent. Its sad the DC was killed off by managerial incompetence and PS2 hype. The PS2 hype was especially undeserved. (Especially if you don't like the old PlayStation standards.)

Anyway, I've met Bernie and he's a dick. But he's not as bad as Peter Mole, 'er I mean Peter MOORE.

XXLANCEXX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh The Good Old Days
I Remember that i used to have Sonic adventures 1&2,Jet Set Radio,and lets not forget Shenmue
smile.gif

love those games and this system to death
lol mine still works X)

SnAQ

Trophies
XP
Country
Loved my Dreamcast back in the days aswell, there were ALOT of really good games for that console indeed.
Loved that you didnt have to mod it in any way either

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SPH73 said:
I realize now that if you don't like Metal Gear, Final Fantasy and anime related crap all the best games last gen were on the DC, the Xbox and even the GCN to some extent. Its sad the DC was killed off by managerial incompetence and PS2 hype. The PS2 hype was especially undeserved. (Especially if you don't like the old PlayStation standards.)

Anyway, I've met Bernie and he's a dick. But he's not as bad as Peter Mole, 'er I mean Peter MOORE.

Not quite on the anime line

The DC had a good share of adult VN titles (Japan only though none are really memorable save for Happy Lesson) also Gundam Side Story 0079 which is a cult classic and released in the US. The US version is very rare these days and I still have my copy.

Also, the PS2 just came out of nowhere, just as the Dreamcast was getting good, the PS2 comes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/nUrYC-wHwzQ?si=CIF5SWwWIx4sXmqH