bent pins in the DS cartridge slot

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by ApolloCheese, Apr 17, 2008.

Apr 17, 2008
  1. ApolloCheese
    OP

Member ApolloCheese GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    can somebody please help me?

my little cousin bent the pins in the DS cartridge slot... (3 pins are twisted)
    she already has a new one so i got this broken one.

i'd like to repair it but i don't have the tri-wing screwdriver...
    i would order one but i don't know if you can reach the pins or the inside of the slot once the DS is opened?

does anyone has experience with the inside of the DS?
    thx for help!!! [​IMG]

2. azotyp

Member azotyp GBAtemp Maniac

Poland
    I once changed that rubbers beneath a buttons so I had partially dissasemble ds, but I think that it is kind of welded (or maybe Im wrong, but there are some dissasemble tutorials on gbatemp so you can check it out by looking on photos).

3. ApolloCheese
    OP

Germany
    thx for your answer!
    i'll have a look on the tutorials.
    i hope i can reach it, i don't want to send it to bigN;-)

4. ApolloCheese
    OP

Germany
    hmm...on the photos it looks like it's a kind of closed "metal cage" and you can' t reach the pins inside.
    maybe you can replace the whole slot? i guess that's the way nintendo would repair it...
    has anyone an idea of how much this costs if available?

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I did this way back making my self contained passme (original model DS naturally) but having unsuccessfully tried to bend it back without opening it up it fatigued and I was left having to pull the underside of the pin up to form a new one (thankfully Nintendo did that or I would have been in for a hell of a soldering job). Rather unfortunately this was just as I got advance wars and prior to me running flashme (suffice it to say as soon as I got it back it was done).

None the less once you open it up there is a cage as you say.
    The corners will be held down with solder and you will have to heat it and lift it (luckily there is nothing there trace wise on the DS so if you mess up and lift the trace it is not all bad).
    About now though the spring will pose some trouble and you will have to remove it, as I recall you simply move it with a screwdriver further than it would usually go and it will come out and you can continue.

Now you have shiny pins to look at and fix, repeat in reverse (and yes the spring will be a pain to put right as it will buckle out given half a chance) but it can be done.

6. SavageWaffle

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Some pictures?

7. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
  8. ApolloCheese
    OP

Germany
    so would this be the same for the ds lite?

i just checked to lift up the top of the slot (the metal top thats shown in the disassembly guide) with a srewdriver and it seems like the top isn't fixed to the bottom...it moved!

if i only had this tri-wing...

9. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    One triwing from a decent German supplier (I have started to see them in shops but electronics hunting in Germany is something that neither I or someone I know has done recently):
    http://www.flashlinker-shop.com/product_in...amp;language=de

€4.50 is not bad wherever I have gone looking either. The other option is to make one: I used a cheap watchmakers driver set and a file.

Unless someone opened it before it will be fixed, and thinking about removing it unless you have done it a few times before I suggest getting a desoldering wick/solder sucker rather than trying the melt and pull approach.

10. ApolloCheese
    OP

Germany
    thanks a lot!
    i think i'll order a screwdriver and just try to fix that...

btw...is it possibe to use the gba slot at the bottom to run the ds roms?

11. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Yeah it is, before the likes of the acekard, ninjapass and all that followed there were GBA slot cards based around the old GBA carts (I still use them as my main carts).
    Compatibility is damn good (or I would have changed) but some of the nicer things about DS slot carts are not: you need to patch roms (this can be anything from click and send to fairly complex choice of options), nowhere near the nice cheats they have, autoDLDI is not common, no SDHC (if it matters), download play needs flashme on receiving DS to work 100% and while compatibility is good and it is uncommon for a new rom not to work it is not up there with the best of the DS slot offerings. Upsides are that most carts have ram for homebrew (although not the browser unless you have a DS slot cart) and the ability to run GBA roms.
    Your main problem will be that you need a DS slot device to get flashme installed to allow DS roms/code to be booted from the GBA slot (there was a wifi based hack but it was blocked early on)