Benefits of CiosCorp?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by BinFairy, Jan 12, 2010.

Jan 12, 2010

Benefits of CiosCorp? by BinFairy at 5:10 AM (5,658 Views / 0 Likes) 45 replies

1. BinFairy
    OP

Newcomer BinFairy Member

United Kingdom
    I've been lurking on these forums for a long time and have read many conflicting accounts where people have said that Cioscorp is great, and others saying that there is no point to use it, seeing as Hermes' and Waninkoko's Cios do pretty much the same thing.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, I am under the impression that Cioscorp overwrites most of the original IOS's with cIOS. Whereas the other option uses unused slots (249,222 and 223 I think).

What I'm interested to know is, what are the main benefits of using one system over another?

I know that Cioscorp allows you to run backup disks in the disk channel, but what else does it provide?

Thanks

2. hatredg0d

Member hatredg0d GBAtemp Regular

United States
    dont ask the benefits, the downsides out weigh them, find out all the downsides, then use usbloaders.

3. BinFairy
    OP

Newcomer BinFairy Member

United Kingdom
    Thats what I'm doing atm, I'm using usb loaders and everything is running fine. I'm just wondering why people think it's great.

I would just like to get a bit of background on it as I was going to help mod my friends wii, and cioscorp does sound a lot easier to install, but then again, I want to make sure that it's not going to leave him without all the functions I have.

4. hatredg0d

Member hatredg0d GBAtemp Regular

United States
    just do the extra work for the usb loaders... if you want to be able to update HBC, or update properly at all for that matter.. the only real befit from any disk loadin in my opinion would be for GC backups.
    but yes it does overwrite pretty much all ios's. the only benefit is being able to launch backups from the disk channel, instead of starting a homebrew app. if you want that, get a wode modchip.

5. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    thats about it, its made so simple minded people (aka, kids) can just use what their used to. You think a young kid (or your mother, lol) would be able to figure out starting neogamma and launch disk from dvd or from an external hard drive.

honestly, when the majority of today's wii gamers/hackers are running games off usb loaders, why even bother with disk loaders in the first place

6. BinFairy
    OP

Newcomer BinFairy Member

United Kingdom
    Thanks very much for the answers.

I dont mind spending a little more time doing the USB loaders. After using my USB loader I dont think I've put a dvd in the drive for about 4 months.

Thanks very much =]

7. smash_brew

Member smash_brew I may or may not have fallen

United States
    It also lets you auto boot dvd-r's from the recovery menu without a mod chip. This was handy for fixing bricks before preloader and bootmii.

8. Szalkow

Member Szalkow RawkSD Cheerleader

United States
    Once you've set up a USB Loader (and perhaps taken the little extra steps to make it nice, like build forwarder channels or collect cover art) you have a means of backup loading which is faster (twice normal disc speed, four times cIOSCORP speed), less problematic (a USB Loader app doesn't affect anything else, whereas cIOSCORP IOSes can cause issues with many games and functions), and easier to maintain (while Da_Letter_A is relatively good about releasing updates, USB Loaders generally don't need them and when they are released it is even easier to swap out the files).

cIOSCORP advantages:
    + looks and acts like a normal Wii
    + regular updates for new/problematic games
    + relatively easy installation - run an app
    + doesn't require a hard drive

cIOSCORP disadvantages:
    + slower than unaltered disc channel (3x read speed; this slowness affects even legit games loaded with CORP installed)
    + causes incompatibilities (RawkSD with cIOSCORP'd IOS37 = fail)
    + Very heavy-handed, brutal, and inefficient way of doing things (patch every IOS, rather than refer to one or two all-inclusive cIOSes)
    + requires DVD-R media, costing around $0.25-$0.50 per disc

If you have a hard drive, USB Loader is the way to go. If you need disc loading, I recommend you use NeoGamma rather than mutilate your system files.

9. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    Can't believe people never pointed out the 2 biggest "selling points".

Compatibility is best with adding cIOScorp to the mix, and for getting IOS reloading games working.

10. happydance

Member happydance GBAtemp Fan

Philippines

i think you've read wrong, most people here hate it and you can do the search function why

but like Slimmmmmm, said i to use it with the mix of Hermes' and Waninkoko's ios.

11. davidsl_128

Member davidsl_128 GBAtemp Brightsider

Colombia
    The only real advantage I see is that it allows you to use DLC in games like Rock Band (you can't run legit DLC through a USB loader, and even custom DLC needs patching). I use it for that. But if you don't bother about DLC, or don't care to play games that reload the IOS like Metroid Trilogy, then USB loaders should do.

12. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You don't need that cIOScorp crud to do Gamecube backups though.

13. kitt050383

Member kitt050383 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    LoL... it truly amazes me how people feel about cIOSCORPS....
    It has it's pros and it's cons and in it's day it was the gratest thing since sliced bread..

But if you ask me it still has it's place in the world for people that still like to have discs like myself...
    or just use pices of it to fix things or for compatibility I just love it and thank dalettera for continuing with it an hope he keeps up the good work...

cuz lets be honest here... allot of the posts on here recently about bricked wiis could have been fixed with an autoboot disc and savemii free method if cIOSCORPS was installed...

to each his own though.. thats the beauty about having an opinion and forums.. [​IMG]

-kitt050383

14. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Just take single cIOS from the package for IOS Reloading games, when playing them from disc. The rest is only, *cry* i need to use the disc channel *cry*.

15. dajavax

Member dajavax GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    it's all about opinion... in my opinion i prefer cioscorp rather than other backup solutions... no need to patching any game as they just work (no need for patching or changing settings for error #'s or IOS reload)... you also load them through disc channel... that way it registers in the wii as you actually played the game rather than open homebrew channel... i prefer having discs than using my usb drive... rather use my usb drive for other things... it's also like having a modchip...

btw it now doesn't interfere with anything (aka installing homebrew channel) and as far as i know it loads original discs at full speed...

as i said... it's all about opinion

16. Daco

Banned Daco Banned

Belgium
    let see...

advantages of cioscorp:
    you can be a cheapass pirate by only having a burned DVD (how to fix this advantage : dont pirate)

disadvantages :

-no hackmii installer (the installer refuses to use patched ios's [​IMG] )
    -every ios is infected with (imo) crap cios
    -every ios is patched with useless patches none of those ios's will EVER need
    -every ios is touched, all having a small chance of fucking it all up

and so on and so forth

IN B4 FANBOYS! O LAWL

17. XFlak

Canada
    for the record, I am against using cioscorp also, but i think it serves a purpose (to let dumb people play modded wii's too! lol)

but in cioscorp's defence, the latest release (v3.6) reportedly does not stop the hackmii installer from running (da_letter_a left at least one IOS untouched so it can still run using a non-fakesigned IOS)

18. Daco

Banned Daco Banned

Belgium
    and that ios would be < 60 ?
    if thats the case : retarded

EDIT : o wow! IOS 61 doesn't get touched so you can have sdhc support in hbc! a smart move!. now wait untill a game reloades to 61 and then you are all boned again

19. chrisman01

Member chrisman01 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I installed a neogamma channel wad, and just burn DVDs.

wicked easy, but I mostly do it because I don't have an external hard drive or big thumb drive [​IMG]

20. XFlak

Canada
    i think there should be no excuse for not having an external hard drive (not that its a crime or anything, lol)

u can get a 500GB portable external hard drive for $100 Cdn, or a 1TB external (not portable) for the same price. This is approximately the cost of 2 new wii games, so just buy it!

even if u dont have the money, presumably u have SOME original wii games... u can sell those until you can afford a hard drive (as there isn't any point in keeping the original games after they are on your hard drive, unless you choose to support makers of the game, which is great but most people just pirate these days... kind of sad actually)