Benefits of buying game

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Virdoo, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Virdoo
    OP

Virdoo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2016
    Croatia
    Hi,

Recently I bought 3 pokemon games, Platinum, Heart Gold and X. I'm also thinking about buying some of ORAS, but it makes me think. I have played pirated version of X and ORAS and I do not see any kind of benefits if you buy the game. You can still enjoy it and play it online, only thing which you're getting buy buying a real game is supporting developers and having box with manual and actual cartridge of a game. Also I found out that Nintendo shot down their servers for DS, which really disappointed me. Feels like nintendo doesn't really care for their customers if you're buying their game. So does anyone knows any benefits for buying a game? Except to support developers for their great work.

2. Bubsy Bobcat

Bubsy Bobcat halloween peener

Jul 8, 2015
    Zimbabwe
    The only benefits are that you get a fancy box I guess. Also it isn't Nintendo's fault for the shut down of the Wii and DS servers. The company who ran the servers (GameSpy) shut down. They also ran servers for various old PC games.

3. Selim873

Selim873 Nunnayobeesnes

Jul 31, 2010
    United States
    Chillin' with Bob Ross

tipsytoto likes this.
  4. Virdoo
    OP

Virdoo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2016
    Croatia
    Well obviously only benefits are supporting servers and fancy box. I have to agree with it.

5. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    IR support (for the DS/i games), plus of course all the moral benefits :)

I buy digital for 3DS so no more boxes here!

6. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend ~Apprentice Game Designer~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    I've always bought Pokemon games as physical cartridges, because one thing you can't do with a non-physical cartridge is transfer Pokemon between different generation games (i.e. RB/SP/EM > DP/PRL/PLTNM > HG/SS > B/W/B2/W2 > X/Y/OR/AS/PokeBank, etc.). Plus, they won't let you compete in official convention competitions if they see you have a pirated copy :3 But sometimes I'll get a pirated copy just to play it with a bunch of rom hacks or cheats or something. Or if I just want to replay the game for whatever reason without deleting the save on my physical cartridge.

Also, it wasn't Nintendo that shut down their old servers. GameSpy, the company that operated the Wii/DS servers and servers for old PC games (such as Flight Simulator X - I loved playing that with others), was shut down and their servers went down with them. I bet a lot of people would love to go back and play Mario Kart or Brawl online. I know I would. Oh well. Nintendo's still a great developer that makes good quality games.

7. Arubaro

Arubaro Soulspace Guardian

Sep 4, 2015
    Well, buying a cartridge, insert it and play is easier than looking for the cia and installing it... (although it's not that hard :P)

8. VirusX2

VirusX2 Master Race Beast

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    You can become a Classic Collector.

9. A_Bricked_Guy

A_Bricked_Guy Member

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2016
    You can actually still play Mario Kart Wii and Brawl online with Wiimmfi

tom2199 likes this.
  10. AyanamiRei

AyanamiRei GBAtemp Fan

Sep 24, 2015
    France
    I couldn't help but laugh at this question. The primary benefit of buying a game is to be able to buy games later in your life (aka supporting). Personnally, I want to have games I can hold rather than thin air who will vanished with the console's death.

Mario Kart DS has a replacement server, right now, am I wrong? (I once discovered a site where several Wii / DS games were listed as having a server hosted, + some others who were under work at the time)

Last edited by AyanamiRei, Feb 25, 2016
  11. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Yes, Wmmmfi and Altwfc are the 2 main server projects, you need the ability to play romhacks or alternatively cheat codes to make games use them!

12. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian derp

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Well, buying them new or eshop, does support the devs. Buying them used or pirating them, doesn't directly support the devs.
    Plus for collectors out there, it gives us something to collect.

13. funnystory

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    Did gamespy really run the servers? It is nintendo's fault. I company like nintendo should not be out sourcing to Gamespy.

14. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Yes, there was a reverse engineering article comparing WFC servers to the instant Messaging style servers of Gamespy

15. quackstar84

quackstar84 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2015
    Derbyshire, England.
    My copy of guardian heroes on the Sega Saturn is worth more than what I paid for it. £50. I also have others. Might also be that 3DS games value increase in the future as well.

16. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend ~Apprentice Game Designer~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, I think I saw that somewhere. Don't know much about it, however.