Benefits of Boot9strap vs A9LH?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by thekarter104, May 28, 2017.

1. thekarter104
    OP

thekarter104 GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    Hello.

I haven't been here in ages. Decided to check the news here to see when the Nintendo E3 is, but I haven't found anything.

Then I found something about Boot9Strap on the right of the recent posts page without much info.

I have an old 3DS on 11.3 A9LH Luma v6.6.
    I haven't used it in a while, so I'm sure that I'm not banned. (I will be now if Nintendo reads this xD)

What are the benefits for me right now?
    I don't do much stuff besides playing games, playing ROM Hacks, some homebrew games and sometimes 3DS Controller v0.6.

Also, I don't even have info what Boot9Strap actually does XDD
    Guess I will be a dirty A9LH peasant for a long time :tpi:

Last edited by thekarter104, May 28, 2017 - Reason: Don't forget to add your Luma version FFS.
  2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    The easy benefit being future Luma3DS support because Luma3DS no longer supports A9LH. Right now there aren't too many benefits for B9S since it's still extremely early, but I does have a lot of future potential

3. thekarter104
    OP

thekarter104 GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    Thanks ^^
    I forgot to mention I'm on Luma v6.6 and might update in a few months if I really need recent versions.

4. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    mostly boot9strap a better environment for developers to work with, since kernel9loader is being cut out. you'd see this by Luma3DS dropping support for anything before boot9strap/sighax, because its devs don't want to work with a9lh anymore. the FIRM format also has several advantages, like it can contain an arm9 and arm11 binary, whereas you can only have arm9 with arm9loaderhax.

it's also much easier to set up (like otpless without the pure luck), and can be upgraded to easily as well.

5. Jhynjhiruu

Jhynjhiruu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 31, 2016
    In fact, something like 99% of 3DS stuff will be B9S/SH only in the [far] future, not just Luma.

6. Sumea

Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Aug 16, 2008
    Finland
    Turku
    So on paper, and mind you I am just user decyphering what I know and it is not completely comprehensive, and reading the info about boot9strap etc.

So A9LH basically is a hack on 3DS's internal FIRM partitions, that there is two of, because of nerds they are 0 and 1 instead of 1 and 2 but just for the lulz let's handle them as first and second. In case of A9LH, the bootrom of 3DS would do all that bootrom does, which also includes booting proprietary code it locks down certain parts of the internal memory like OTP which is why we would need to downgrade to 2.1 for A9LH because we acually needed the OTP (console specific cryptography keys) to make a working A9LH installation. A9LH worked by manipulating both FIRM slots where the console jumps to 2nd FIRM slot in case of mismatch in 1st FIRM, but instead both are corrupted, but also because memory is not cleared on jump from 1st to 2nd, people embed console specific gibberish into 1st FIRM that on jump translates into actual code that then by power of nerd magic becomes code execution from SD card. So, because of this A9LH was a permanent, in console solution to achieve ARM9 (ARM9 is the daddy processor and ARM11 is the mommy that make a full family but this patriarchial shithole of a household is governed by the daddy) code execution which we translate to, booting a CFW from our SD card on point where the console should be booting the FIRM inside the console

Boot9strap on other hand is a hack that manipulates the BOOTROM which we just mentioned, that is step 1 of 3DS booting, and achieves "user kernel level code execution from the bootrom itself" - well, the bootrom is crashed into your own set of code that boots a .firm image, I believe this means we are now booting basically our own custom firmware images from the bootrom instead of just homebrew code but, I might be wrong. This in practice means, if we need OTP, we don't have to lock it out and can just read it (currently we really don't need to, though), and other such things.
    This also on paper enables FULL custom rewrites for code and OS to be run on the console, so someone's linux on 3DS dream is about to be true with this as well - maybe, possibly. I am not entirely sure but I am pretty sure that is the case.

So; TL;DR humanese is that B9S happens even earlier in the boot, enabling all kinds of nerd magic and rainbows if people decide to do so. For now all we users have is Aurora's stance on supporting ONLY B9S to probably get everyone using this new hotness and later on it is not so hard for developers to introduce new things that take advantage of B9S's unique possibilities. Or it could be just the same we been already with very minor difference to our 3DS usage.

I mean, the banwave is almost much more bigger news than B9S is for now...

7. fedehda

fedehda GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron
    fedehda is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 7, 2017
    Argentina
    At your current screen. And in heaven
    You stop being an a9lh's dirty peasant and start an era as a B9S Master Race owner