Benefits of arm9loader over rxtools emunand?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by wailer247, Apr 20, 2016.

1. wailer247
    OP

wailer247 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2015
    United States
    I've just gotten my 3ds set up on rxtools emunand, and upon doing more research it seems arm9loader is the new, improved way of doing things. However, the only benefits I'm seeing everybody talk about is the faster boot times. Really, the longer boot time doesn't concern me. What does concern me right now is the amount of time it takes to install .cia files. Even with bigbluemenu, bigger .cia files might take 45 mins+. Does have the arm9loaderhax improve this? If not, what other benefits are there for an end user besides the shorter boot time?

2. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Brick protection
    100% boot rate
    Faster Boot Times
    Option to toggle Dev Unit
    No need for Emunand

3. wailer247
    OP

wailer247 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2015
    United States
    So .cia installing is still extremely slow?? Also, why is there no need for emunand? I thought that the whole point of emunand was to put the OS on the SD card so that you weren't risking anything on the sysnand...

Last edited by wailer247, Apr 20, 2016
  4. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    That's dependent on your card and cluster size also if you prefer to install tickets and download games from the eShop or just install CIA's

5. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai snart

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    The amount of time it takes to install CIAs depends mainly on your SD card's speeds, and a9lh can't make your SD card faster.

6. Xen0

Xen0 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 8, 2015
    Gambia, The
    So in fact again the real change is booting time. The other stuff don't really matter for normal usage.

7. Fugelmir

Fugelmir GBAtemp Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    Canada
    It is far more secure in terms of restoring a bricked console. You can also remove the SD card without the 3ds crashing. Also, sometimes when I would close the 3ds, it would crash in emunand -- which was a problem because you had to close it to fix the weird dual image bug.

I abstained from it for a long time...but my bootrate was bad with reinand. Something like 30% of the time it was crashing. It does feel like small cia files take a while to install now. Like there's an 8 second delay before they start.

If you are 3ds poweruser who uses things like HANS, or makes custom VC, etc... it's a no brainer. But if you're just someone who plays games normally, emunand is great, if a little flawed.

Hoppy and Tomato Hentai like this.
  8. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai snart

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    I think not having to reserve 1GB on your SD card for an emuNAND partition is also a benefit.

hobbledehoy899, Hoppy and Xenon Hacks like this.
  9. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    100% boot rate and brick protection doesn't matter?

hobbledehoy899 and Tomato Hentai like this.
  10. wailer247
    OP

wailer247 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2015
    United States
    My card is a 64GB sandisk class 10 SDXC. What cluster size should i be using?

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  11. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    64 and I would install tickets made from FunkeyCIA to download from the eShop.

hobbledehoy899 and Tomato Hentai like this.
  12. wailer247
    OP

wailer247 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2015
    United States
    I'm new to this part. You're saying that instead of installing .cia files, I can install tickets made from FunkeyCIA instead? How would I do that?

13. Xen0

Xen0 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 8, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Honestly, 1GB doesn't matter that much. For me the booting rate is about 80%, so no problem either. And for the brick: Like I said for the normal user who uses just a little bit of his brain won't brick his system.

14. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I think if you are bothered by the CIA install times, a Gateway or Sky3DS+ might be a good option for you. Out of the two the Gateway is the cheapest and most capable. You basically get all the features you'd get in CFW (no a9lh support yet, but it's coming) as well as a robust cheat system and the ability to load .3DS roms off the Gateway cart, no need to wait for games to install. It will cost you $60-$70 though (plus the price of a microSD for the cart itself if you don't have one)

You can improve boot rate further by using lesshax: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-lesshax-cfw-optimized-9-2-payload.415077/

15. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    Using socketpunch along with FBI to install cias over wifi is far, FAR faster than installing them from your sd card.

Edit: Unless you have incredibly poor wi-fi speeds.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  16. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai snart

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    'Specially because you can fill your SD card to the brim with games, which is why it's nice having one extra gigabyte, even if it's not that much.

wailer247 likes this.
  17. Returnofganon

Returnofganon I pretend like I know what I'm talking about

Jul 1, 2015
    United States
  18. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    As a casual user, I like AuReiNAND + a9lh because it's an "all in one system". I don't have to carry other things to dump roms (and make cias), and the access to emunand9 and decrypt9 make everything easy to use. And I don't have to fiddle with browserhax or worry that I might undo menuhax because of changing themes.

Plus, it's dead easy to use. That said, I wish I kept my 9.2 firmware backups because if a9lh becomes useless, I'd have a way to get back a stock system.

hobbledehoy899 likes this.
  19. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    irrelevant question. Why must people compare apples to oranges? a9lh is an entry point. rxtools is a CFW. There is no "which one is better". a9lh is better than menuhax, ninjhax, etc. It's an entry point. You can have a9lh and still use rxtools if you really felt like it.

20. regnad

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    Does this thread really belong in the tutorials forum?

Last edited by regnad, Apr 21, 2016