Benefits of 9.2 firmware

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Benja81, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Benja81
    OP

Benja81 GBAtemp Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Benja81 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 24, 2015
    United States
    Hello!

I have had a N3ds XL for a couple months now and just couldn't stand the stretched pixels anymore. I decided to order a N3ds animal crossing on ebay (and a sweet Zelda faceplate on Amazon). I came across one advertised as 9.2 firmware and decided to grab it, since I tried a few times to downgrade my XL from 10.3 but was never successful.

My question is what can I do with the 9.2 firmware once I get it. I have access to homebrew titles and also have an r4i gold 3DS if that helps anything. Can I do things like emunand and custom firmware with r4i, or do I need GW to benefit from it?

2. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    9.2 is the ideal firmware to be on. There's an exploit called MenuHax which crashes the home menu as it starts, and runs whatever you want (and this can include booting into emuNAND). You don't need Gateway anymore unless you really want to run .3ds files instead of CIAs. There are a bunch of guides in the tutorial section on how to get started, and I personally didn't need one to get going, so I'll let someone else recommend one to you. Just take note that some CFWs are more annoying to install than others (in my opinion, easiest to hardest: Reinand -> CakesFW -> RxTools), but they also offer more features as they get more difficult to install. On the other hand though, if you prefer to keep features and tools separate from your CFW, you could roll Reinand or Cakes and then use emuNAND9Tool and Decrypt9 to get the exact same features as RxTools, minus the out-of-the-box region free (just use NTR or Free multi Patcher on Cakes/Reinand, no big deal).

3. Salamencizer

Salamencizer Handsome Computer Nerd

Oct 3, 2015
    India
    Below
    First of all, please put a question mark at the end of a title if you have a question, or else it misleads people.
    Answering your question, On 9.2, You can install a Custom Firmware, like ReiNAND. I you have a CFW, you can install and run unsigned CIAs, like pirated games and homebrew.You can also create an EmuNAND on 9.2. Having an EmuNAND is beneficial, as it helps you to protect your sysNAND from getting updated or bricked. Also, you can do much more.

4. DingusPingus

DingusPingus GBAtemp Regular

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    9.2 is ideal and allows the unstallation of "coldboot"(menuhax) and coldboot(a9lh) cfw

5. SLiV3R

SLiV3R 3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206

Jan 9, 2006
    With 9.2 you can play pirated games :P

6. DingusPingus

DingusPingus GBAtemp Regular

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    Yes, 9.2 can play pirated games if you set up cfw

7. Benja81
    OP

Benja81 GBAtemp Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Benja81 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 24, 2015
    United States
    Thank you everyone for the responses! It arrived today, going to dive in after work!! :)