War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
So as some of you may know, I recently moved from Las Vegas to Los Angeles because my mom thought that her job in Vegas wasn't gonna get any better and she's have better chances here in L.A. I knew it was a bad idea to move, because everything was so great back in Vegas. We were renting a 3 room house for the price of a 1 room apartment, I had tons of friends, my school was great, my mom had a nice job, etc.

Anyway, we moved here when my mom got a job. A month or so later, she lost that job. Ever since then, she's been unemployed (so about 2-3 months). And let me tell you, being unemployed SUCKS. My mom is home ALL THE TIME, and that's not a good thing. She has nothing to do all day, so she pries into my personal life all the time and smothers me with attention. Not only that, but she's always in a bad mood, which is really annoying.

Our situation is pretty bad right now. We're living off of my mom's savings at the moment, and they're starting to run out. We live in a 2 bedroom apartment, but my mom aparently has started to look for new places... which means OH BOY, I get to change schools. Again. For the third time.

Also, we can't afford a lot of stuff anymore, so I don't have a cellphone anymore, I can't use electronics as much (electric bill), and she told me we're getting rid of our cable and possibly our internet.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're 16 right? Find a place that will take students. I have a job that will pay by content done instead of by the hour, and I use it to afford most of my little electronics and their fees (including a second cellphone I use for internet tethering, game subscriptions, etc)

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
yeah i know how u feel. my father is unemployed as well (though he does stocks and stuff). but him being home all the time is driving me crazy!! i can't even play computer games or watch anime at home, and i have to play my ds in secret >.> it's pretty sad. i feel for u war
frown.gif

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Sorry to hear about your situation bro.

You just have to ride out these bad times and make sacrifices, support your mother, and try to help her out as much as you can.

A few years ago me and my family where going through some pretty tough times also. it wasn't for a short time either. We went through years of being broke! And it wasnt down to lack of work either, we all worked like dogs trying to keep the family business afloat. Looking back on things like Christmases that passed by in those days, well we didn't have Christmases, no presents, no tree, nothing. I went through so many birthdays where I got nothing, these days I dont ask for a single thing, I think psychologically I still live with the effects of those days.
But now times are good for us, and we are doing well, better then well, but it was a long hard road getting to where we are now. A few years ago I would have never imagined I would be in such a secure position, where I want for nothing and dont have to worry about how much things cost.

So there is light at the end of the tunnel, something will turn up, support your mother through these tough times. When you look back on these days in the future, it will make you appreciate all you have that much more.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Woah, living of your savings and having to move elsewhere is pretty extreme to me.

I guess I'm a bit spoiled; my dad has a well-paid job. He has worked hard for it for years, and now he is rewarded. Sorry to hear that it won't always work like this...

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
I guess it sucks to be you at the moment but just be happy in knowing that the situation won't stay like this forever. See it as a sort of silver lining to a really dark and sucky cloud that doesn't seem to let up.

You're 16 that means that even though its quite hard for you to get a job, you at least have the possibilty of finding one so I suggest you start looking. Whining on the internet won't do you any good, however harsh that sounds.

As for your mother, just realise that no matter how bitchy she is, she is still a human being so I suggest you start feeding her ego and keep a low profile to ensure arguing time is as low as possible and maximise playing time.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Xcalibur, I hear you, and I'm not doing this just to bitch... I just kinda broke down today and this was my way of sort of letting it all out. I just got home and my mom told me that unemployment will stop giving her money every month because they only support you for a certain amount of time... and apparently our time expired.

I know I can get a job because I'm 17, it's just very tough to find a job right now, especially for a kid. However, I will keep trying, because I really want to be able to afford my own stuff. Because of the situation I'm in right now, I haven't gotten a chance to go out with friends much or just go out to eat or get new clothes. Also, if it gets to the point where we have to cut the internet, I want to be able to pay for it so we don't have to get rid of it.

I realize things aren't as bad as they could be... I still have internet, and I still have a brand new 360, a DS, and a PSP. (Even though I bought every single one of those things on my own)

AWESOME_noob

Trophies
XP
Country
Most importantly YOU have got your HEALTH! - think how lucky you are comapred to some families who struggle to eat, let alone get a TV....

SirSweeps

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey hey hey ...
quick question ...
how long has your mom been on unemployment ... because they just recently granted extensions that your mom may qualify for ... but she needs to get in contact with them asap... its not the kind of thing that they tell you about ...(source My uncle has worked for DPSS for 20 something years in Los Angeles and he would know)

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
SirSweeps said:
Hey hey hey ...
quick question ...
how long has your mom been on unemployment ... because they just recently granted extensions that your mom may qualify for ... but she needs to get in contact with them asap... its not the kind of thing that they tell you about ...(source My uncle has worked for DPSS for 20 something years in Los Angeles and he would know)
That's what we're doing right now. We've been trying to contact them on the phone for hours because my mom is gonna try to get an extension

SirSweeps

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you can forget that ...
by phone you'll never get a real person ... she needs to make it down to the office in order to get it done ... but it will take all day, so she would have to start early ...

Hehe Moo

Moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sorry to hear about that mate.

Try to find a part-time job yourself, like Linkiboy said. It might help if you paid for even the smallest of things.

Good luck with that.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Another tip when jobhunting; remember that nothing is below you. If you can get a job cleaning floors at mcdonalds then i would go for it.
Also be sure to ask friends if they have relatives with a vacancy in their stores. Also don't be afraid to coldcall (call up stores asking about vacancies) and have a multiple copies of your CV lying around to give to possible employers.

meateater

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xcalibur said:
Another tip when jobhunting; remember that nothing is below you. If you can get a job cleaning floors at mcdonalds then i would go for it.
Also be sure to ask friends if they have relatives with a vacancy in their stores. Also don't be afraid to coldcall (call up stores asking about vacancies) and have a multiple copies of your CV lying around to give to possible employers.

I will definitely second that. I'm only at my current job because my girlfriend was tired of me being unemployed. I had savings, but she said I get really needy if I'm not occupied. So she called up a high school buddy of mine and asked if his company has any openings (his dad owns a business). Now, I'm basically getting paid doing next-to nothing. The very flexible hours made it possible for me to take some classes. Most importantly, there's plenty of free time to kill Nazis or zombies since I moved my 360 to the office.

I'm not trivializing your troubles. Just remember that one must create one's own opportunity. Or in my case, one's girlfriend. I probably would be cleaning floors 10 hours a day for minimal wage if it hadn't been for her.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1