Hacking Beginner's guide: launch hacks, game backups and homebrews on WiiU & vWii

• Thread starter xem
  • Start date
  • Views 468,008
  • Replies 290
  • Likes 15

xem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

Sorry for this thread if it's redundant but it seemed useful to me.

I'm a beginner in WiiU hacking, I've read all the sticky topics (and many non sticky ones) here and on other sites, and I'd like to summarize all the information we have today about hacking Wiiu and vWii and playing Gamecube, Wii and WiiU games and homebrews.

With your help, this thread could become a simple guide for new people arriving on this forum and wondering (like me) what they have to do and in which order. (which is generally not very clear on the other threads)

So please correct me if I say something wrong and complete me if I forgot something :)

last update: 18 january 2016

- Latest WiiU firmware : 5.5.1
- Latest safe WiiU firmware version: 5.3.2.
- Some WiiU backups can be played on firmwares 5.3.2 and lower, using Loadiine.
- IOSU is being developed for firmwares 5.5.1 and lower.
- Stay on 5.3.2 if you want to use current exploits.
- Stay on 5.4.0 if you want to use mp4 exploits with loadiine GX2 (not all homebrew ported yet).
- Stay on 5.5.1 if you want to play retail games online while you wait for Hykem's exploit.
- Don't update if you want to use current of future exploits.
- Latest HackMii version: 1.2
- Latest d2x cIOS: d2x-v10-beta53-alt-vWii / d2x-v10-beta52-vWii
- Latest d2x cIOS installer: FIX94s d2x cIOS Installer 2.2 mod

1) Installing WiiU updates

- Latest online update is now 5.5.1 and is not safe for WiiU hacking. If you want to update to the latest exploitable version you will need to update using a game disc : Mario party 10 or Splatoon.
- Do not allow standby, Do not use Quick start menu without a network filter as it will silently update and install the latest version.
- You can block all online updates (and eshop access) by blocking Nintendo's update servers by configuring your WiiU or your network, or by completely disabling the WiiU's internet configuration.

Domains to block to prevent future updates:
  • nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
  • nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
  • nus.cdn.shop.wii.com
  • nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net
  • nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net
More info about how to block updates here (see section "3.")

2) Hacking the WiiU to play WiiU game backups, WiiU eShop titles and homebrews

- See https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-guide-to-wii-u-hacking.396828/

3) Hacking the vWii to play Wii game backups, WiiWare titles and homebrews

- This is possible!
- You'll need a SD card (less or equal than 2GB) + an external USB Hard Disk (with double-USB power or external power (optional) + one of these Wii games:

• LEGO Batman
  • Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
  • LEGO Indiana Jones
  • LEGO Star Wars
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's Wheelie Breakers
- Follow a guide explaining how to install Homebrew Channel on vWii (not Wii!) using HackMii, like this one or this one (in french).

- Follow a guide explaining how to backup your unique vWii "NAND" and "keys" (backing up your NAND and keys is useful to restore your configuration in case of error), like this one.

- Follow a guide explaining how to install the latest "d2x cIOS" (installing a cIOS is mandatory to install backup launchers), like this one or this one (in french).

- Follow a guide explaining how to install a backup launcher like WiiFlow or USB Loader GX, like this one or this one (in french).

- Install your Wii games ("ISOs") on your SD card / USB hard drive.

- Optional: Follow a guide to install a channel forwarder (to avoid launching the homebrew channel every time), like this one or this one (in french).

- Enjoy!

4) Playing Gamecube game backups and homebrews

- Hack the vWii and install Homebrew Channel. (cIOS is not necessary)

- Install Nintendont on your vWii

- Install your games on a SD card / USB hard drive (respect the files names and paths asked on the page above)

- Enjoy!

Warning

- Please read the sticky topics, especially basic do's and do not's to avoid serious damages!

- It's okay to install the "cIOS" mentioned above. On the other hand, you should avoid patching the vWii "IOS" unless you know what you're doing, (and if you do it, don't patch an IOS lower than 80). IOS 236 seems to be made to help recover from a bad operation.

Last edited by Cyan, , Reason: updated latest online version, added 5.4.0 info

ole

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
3) Hacking the vWii to play Wii game backups, WiiWare titles and homebrews

- This is possible! And won't affect the WiiU mode in any way. Only the virtual Wii mode will be modified.

Not true, if you mess with the wrong ios in vwii the wii U will fail to update itself.

Zedd91

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

- This is not possible yet.

- A "kernel exploit" is being developed and should allow things like that later this year (around june).

is this real?

Reactions: Margen67

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

- This is not possible yet.

- A "kernel exploit" is being developed and should allow things like that later this year (around june).

is this real?

Actually, it could be a lot sooner...

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The kernel exploit is essentially done, aside from some minor polishes that make it more reliable. That, and the lack of a browser exploit, are what we need to address before its release. That's being worked on.

- Installing this kernel will require the WiiU web browser, and an internet connection.

Nothing is being installed, it's an in-memory patch that only remains applied as long as you're in Wii U mode. You don't even need an internet connection, since the browser exploit can be used on the local network.

xem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks guys for these precious information. I'm updating the post accordingly.
Uh. I didn't know that the kernel exploit was finished (good news) and that the browser exploit didn't work yet on 5.3.2 (bad news).
Is it true that the kernel exploit may allow launching WiiU backups? ... or will it need another other exploit?

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys for these precious information. I'm updating the post accordingly.
Uh. I didn't know that the kernel exploit was finished (good news) and that the browser exploit didn't work yet on 5.3.2 (bad news).
Is it true that the kernel exploit may allow launching WiiU backups? ... or will it need another other exploit?

Potentially, but it will likely be much harder than using an IOSU exploit.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks! Can you please precise which are "the wrong" and "the good" ios?
If the user patch ANY of the official vWii IOS located below 80 then the WiiU update process will fail. (it seems patching IOS80 is fine for wiiU update)
It's said everywhere to NOT PATCH IOS, but users are still doing it thinking that they will fix an issue by "adding trucha bug to IOS36" or "updating IOS58 for nintendont" or think it's good practice to use Wii homebrew to hack vWii mode and ends with Wii IOS. Even installing vWii IOS using a wad manager is not safe if you didn't extract the vWii IOS to wad correctly.

So, yes it can affect WiiU but only if the users are not following the guides.

Thanks for creating this thread.
Having the same thing on 3DS section would be great. explaining which console can be used and what can be done for each. the 3DS stickies are a little outdated.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
By the way just a quick question. Do we need to hack the vWii side of the WiiU to be able to use the WiiU side of things? or is that all separate and not necessary? So basically what I mean is, if I have already got a Wii hacked then do I have to bother doing the vWii to enjoy WiiU Homebrew back ups etc.. on the WiiU. Also to run back ups will you just say need a 128GB SD Card etc.. or a HDD and will it plug into the front port or do they port over via a local network to your wiiu? say using Filezilla for example. If it is a local network lets hope you all have good internet connections cause sending a 23GB file over will take some time!

Edit:- by the way its getting very interesting now, thanks guys! :)

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the way just a quick question. Do we need to hack the vWii side of the WiiU to be able to use the WiiU side of things? or is that all separate and not necessary? So basically what I mean is, if I have already got a Wii hacked then do I have to bother doing the vWii to enjoy WiiU Homebrew back ups etc.. on the WiiU. Also to run back ups will you just say need a 128GB SD Card etc.. or a HDD and will it plug into the front port or do they port over via a local network to your wiiu? say using Filezilla for example. If it is a local network lets hope you all have good internet connections cause sending a 23GB file over will take some time!

Edit:- by the way its getting very interesting now, thanks guys! :)
I think I can answer this one. Webkit exploit has nothing to do with vwii. And I don't think any of the kernel exploit is in vwii, so you shouldn't need exploited vwii.
Also, vwii is sandboxed from wii u. (I mean if I read correctly)
And with all the work being put into the usb side of things, I think they'll be able to load things via usb soon.
And you wouldn't need even a faster internet than dial up to transfer locally. (because you aren't using it to transfer locally)
It is dependant on whatever you used to connect pc to wii u. (IE: router, crossover cable, wireless card in pc)
You probably won't need an SD card anyway. (since it would take more work to enable the sd to be effective)
It seems they went after the usb probably because it doesn't disable sometimes like the sd slot does. Also, the usb is where ehop games go.
So framework already in place for usb loaded games..(I don't know if this is the reason but it would make more sense)

And for me It's been interesting since fail overflow announced they gained access through webkit. And continued with mario and NW.

Also, at OP, the reason ODE's are nowhere to be found is because there isn't a market for it. As in there aren't many games or users with consoles.
On average about 3 percent of consoles sold get an ODE device. But there haven't been many consoles sold or many games brought to this console to justify starting production. Combine that with average game these days being upwards of 25gb and you'll probably take your 3 percent to 2 percent.
When you make a disk emulator you also have to support your product. Manufacturers can patch things and make everything hard on you.
See it isn't worth the time involved to bring one of these to market. When it comes to ode devices money is what drives the developers. And where there isn't money means there aren't developers.

Reactions: Naderino and Reecey

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I think I can answer this one. Webkit exploit has nothing to do with vwii. And I don't think any of the kernel exploit is in vwii, so you shouldn't need exploited vwii.
And with all the work being put into the usb side of things, I think they'll be able to load things via usb soon.
And you wouldn't need even a faster internet than dial up to transfer locally. (because you aren't using it to transfer locally)
It is dependant on whatever you used to connect pc to wii u. (IE: router, crossover cable, wireless card in pc)
You probably won't need an SD card anyway. (since it would take more work to enable the sd to be effective)
It seems they went after the usb probably because it doesn't disable sometimes like the sd slot does. Also, the usb is where ehop games go.
So framework already in place for usb loaded games..(I don't know if this is the reason but it would make more sense)

And for me It's been interesting since fail overflow announced they gained access through webkit. And continued with mario and NW.

Also, at OP, the reason ODE's are nowhere to be found is because there isn't a market for it. As in there aren't many games or users with consoles.
On average about 3 percent of consoles sold get an ODE device. But there haven't been many consoles sold or many games brought to this console to justify starting production. Combine that with average game these days being upwards of 25gb and you'll probably take your 3 percent to 2 percent.
When you make a disk emulator you also have to support your product. Manufacturers can patch things and make everything hard on you.
See it isn't worth the time involved to bring one of these to market. When it comes to ode devices money is what drives the developers. And where there isn't money means there aren't developers.

Thanks for your run down. I see so what your saying is there will be no need for storage device like an sd card plugged in cause you will just use your pc as the storage device and boot the WiiU img from your PC on to your wiiu. is that what you mean? I just use my router and a wireless connection on a local, its capable of 1300Mb/s or I suppose I can always plug my ethernet cable in to the router from my laptop and do it that way if it works better. But again like I said, surely if it is all run by network it will still need to be a good solid fast 5ghz network to run properly between WiiU & PC running 23GB imgs between the two? I could see future issues from many running it all by network, not everyone has a fantastic setup capable of doing all that, it will be very interesting to see what occurs?

xem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you guys for these details, and for making this thread sticky. I updated the OP with the new info.

Cyan, sorry for being noob, but when you say "It's said everywhere to NOT PATCH IOS,..." are you saying to not patch IOS at all or to not patch IOS lower than 80? To play wii games and stuff, we need to install d2x cIOS, right?

Naderino

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I really enjoy the simplicity of your explanation. I totally agree with this ODE thing.
Nonetheless, I must say, things are getting really exciting around here. Great work everyone and thank you for all your contributions to the scene!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
IOS = Do not patch, touch, install, reinstall, etc...
cIOS = fine, you need to install them if you want USBloaders

it's just that the users are told to never patch or install or touch the IOS below 200.
I said 80 because the slot80 doesn't create issue if you patch it to allow region free for channels. But it's better not to patch it too.
ALL official IOS from Nintendont shouldn't be modified.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1