Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ineap09

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Guyana
Yes, I'm talking about those on the streets, not your annoying friend.

My parents always give a small amount of change to beggars, and it drives me nuts 'cause I don't think they deserve anything at all...especially the fit, healthy, middle-aged men.
closedeyes.gif

What do you 'tempers think? Give to beggars? Give cold shoulder to beggars?

What do think of those who think differently than you about whether to give to beggars or not? Are they mean? Are they too giving?

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I have a fairly large coupon book for free fast food items, and that's what I hand them. 9 times out of 10 I see them toss it on the ground , or in a trash can when they think i'm not looking.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I sometimes give to beggars.. depends on wether I have loose change in my pocket or not
Also I only give if they look like they need it

There was a guy at Central Station, english bloke, who 'lost his passport' and needed money for a trainticket... so I offered to buy him a trainticket to wherever and he refused
frown.gif

stylow

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
once my father gave money to a begger and the same begger came again and said please give me money my father said i already gave you money and she ran away and it was a women from 28 years old i think

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Have you ever talked to one and asked them how they came to end up that way? You can't say "they don't deserve anything at all" unless you know their story. It's true that many, if not most of them are in their situation because of mistakes that they made on their own, but some really just got dealt a shitty hand in life. Even the ones who made mistakes that got them where they are now, deserve a second chance (assuming they want one).

Anyway, on topic:

I get suspicious if the beggar doesn't stink. That means they actually have a place to go and shower. If they stink to high hell, it's a somewhat good indicator that they're in need. If I can spare some cash, I'll always ask them if they're hungry. If yes, I ask what they want to eat and if it's reasonable I'll walk into the restaurant with them and buy what they want. If they just want money, I don't give any but I still offer to buy them lunch. If they refuse and insist on cash I just wish them the best and leave them alone.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It depends. Usually you can tell the difference between beggars. There's two types:

- Older beggars who are just down on their luck. Say for example their family died, they couldn't afford bills because they couldn't afford to go to school to get a better education, you know, the REAL genuine homeless people.

- Then there are the young ones who just either got kicked out of their house for being retards, or they just left on their own or aren't even homeless at all.

Usually you can spot who needs it more and what not. If I see a young guy asking for money, no fucking way because there are tons of jobs out there where you don't need an education and can be making money, for example, oil rigs. And you know if you give them money, they're going to just waste it. Same if they collect cans/bottles, instead of saving it up and getting yourself cleaned up so you can apply for work, they buy useless crap with it.

But if I see a real genuine homeless guy who pretty much has no chance of getting accepted for a job or anything, I'll give him a few bucks, or I'll go get him a sandwich or a meal to last a day. Or I'll donate old blankets/pillows, maybe an old winters jacket and a toque that I don't wear.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ShadowSoldier said:
It depends. Usually you can tell the difference between beggars. There's two types:

- Older beggars who are just down on their luck. Say for example their family died, they couldn't afford bills because they couldn't afford to go to school to get a better education, you know, the REAL genuine homeless people.

- Then there are the young ones who just either got kicked out of their house for being retards, or they just left on their own or aren't even homeless at all.

Usually you can spot who needs it more and what not. If I see a young guy asking for money, no fucking way because there are tons of jobs out there where you don't need an education and can be making money, for example, oil rigs. And you know if you give them money, they're going to just waste it. Same if they collect cans/bottles, instead of saving it up and getting yourself cleaned up so you can apply for work, they buy useless crap with it.

But if I see a real genuine homeless guy who pretty much has no chance of getting accepted for a job or anything, I'll give him a few bucks, or I'll go get him a sandwich or a meal to last a day. Or I'll donate old blankets/pillows, maybe an old winters jacket and a toque that I don't wear.

This.

ineap09

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Guyana
Hm. Some good things have been said. I change what I said before. I said that I didn't think any beggars deserve anything. It's just that about 90% of the beggars I've encountered were young-middle aged men who looked like they could handle a job just fine. That's why I immediately think of them, and think, "not way." But I think that there are indeed those who need something.

Funny story my dad likes repeating every once in a while: A beggar comes up to our car door and knocks asking for money. My dad rolls down the door and gives the guy some money. The guy's cellphone started ringing. He took our money then pulled out a cellphone that was 10x more expensive than the cellphones we had ever owned.

Us:
unsure.gif

And there have been times where a beggar says they need money for lunch, Mom offers to go to the store to buy him something to eat. Beggar refuses vehemently. He only wants money. That always puts up a huge sign saying that they don't plan on using that money for food...
sleep.gif

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Another story that actually happened: Last year my uncle and his friend saw a bum on the street asking for money. My uncle's friend is a priest, and the priest told the bum, "hey why don't you come and do some work for me in the temple? I'll pay you to help keep the place clean and organized."

So the bum went with him to the temple and the priest paid him $10 an hour to sweep the floors and wash windows. After about 5 hours my uncle's friend gave him $50 and told him to come back next week. The bum said that he wouldn't be coming back because he makes more money just sitting at the corner for 5 hours with a sign than he does helping out at the church.

Some beggars choose that lifestyle because it's a lazy way to get money. Those people don't deserve any help at all.

ineap09

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Guyana
Densetsu3000 said:
Another story that actually happened: Last year my uncle and his friend saw a bum on the street asking for money. My uncle's friend is a priest, and the priest told the bum, "hey why don't you come and do some work for me in the temple? I'll pay you to help keep the place clean and organized."

So the bum went with him to the temple and the priest paid him $10 an hour to sweep the floors and wash windows. After about 5 hours my uncle's friend gave him $50 and told him to come back next week. The bum said that he wouldn't be coming back because he makes more money just sitting at the corner for 5 hours with a sign than he does helping out at the church.

Some beggars choose that lifestyle because it's a lazy way to get money. Those people don't deserve any help at all.
Wow, that's horrible! Lazy bum.
hate2.gif

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Most homeless guys in the Netherlands are on drugs, so got themself in the homeless situation.
Therefor, I tend to make fun of them, or completely ignore them. Whatever I feel like. And it actually helps, they leave me alone now
smile.gif

They are worthless scum who don't deserve anything, and they smell.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
95% of homeless here are junkies. If I know they aren't a junkie and are actually starving then yes I help them. The junkie homeless just take your money and end up buying more smack with it.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I, in my mind, spit on those younger men beggars that easily have a chance at life.
They've given up their own hopes and try to continue on living off of whatever they can scrap out of others' hands.

Over the last few years, I have seen a couple senior men, that may or may not have been junkies, but I did give them a few bucks total. I would do the same for children, but I have not yet seen one and hope I never will.

ineap09

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Guyana
The thing about child beggars is that many times an adult will send their child to beg, and then keep all the money for themselves. At least that's the way it was in the countries I've lived in. This definitely lowered the incentive to give to kids 'cause you never know if someone is just using them to get a pity bonus on their begging.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ineap09 said:
The thing about child beggars is that many times an adult will send their child to beg, and then keep all the money for themselves. At least that's the way it was in the countries I've lived in. This definitely lowered the incentive to give to kids 'cause you never know if someone is just using them to get a pity bonus on their begging.
I know what you mean. It's just sad to think about.

On another note-
It's funny when you see a beggar wearing North Face, decent shoes, a nice hiking backpack, and somewhat shaved to be holding a sign that says they have no money.
Seriously... get the fuck off the streets and work on that pile of crap you call a life.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I remember reading an article once in the newspaper.

A bum can make about 300-500 USD a day during the christmas period by begging. This is all taxfree.

When I was running my hostel in Australia we had alot of backpackers who had no money. Jobs were scarce for backpackers so we decided to have some of them help out in the hostel. For a part of their rent (sometimes all) they had to change beds, hang out washing or highpressure the courtyard. These people were genuinly happy with such a little bit of help. Theyd work their asses off for about 100 AUD worth of rent.

Ive met alot of backpackers who were so backed up on cash they couldnt even afford food. They relied on other backpackers to give them food (2min noodles usually). These people we usually gave food.
Since some of our backpackers left suddenly they left behind alot of food in their storage spaces. This food was given to those who didtn have a job or injured themselves causing them not being able to work.
Ive never seen such gratefull people. We did the same with clothes left behind by people and they could have their pick. Books, music and DVDs were shared for all TVs

Didu50

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I don't give them money. They just go buy alcohol.

And one time there was this Wheelchair Beggar, and when he thought nobody was looking, he stood up and adjusted his pants. WTF

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
How would you guys feel sleeping on a park bench and not know when your next meal would be? Lets say you had no idea what to do next in life. Imagine you are isolated in a city of snobs who ignore your pleas for help.

This is what the beggers feel

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
zeromac said:
How would you guys feel sleeping on a park bench and not know when your next meal would be? Lets say you had no idea what to do next in life. Imagine you are isolated in a city of snobs who ignore your pleas for help.

This is what the beggers feel

Most of them put themself there with their drug/alcohol abuse. There is people out there who are genuinely homeless and make an effort and don't spend the little money they get on drugs, They are the ones I feel sorry for.

Most of the people your feeling sorry for would rob you with a blink of an eye to feed their habits.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I don't give them money because the money is mine, bitch.

But if I have a warm drink or something that I don't want and I see one, I give them it.

They don't drink it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol