before I pull the trigger on a 3.55 Slim off of eBay...

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Rhino Juggler, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Rhino Juggler
    OP

Rhino Juggler Member

Newcomer
    Aug 3, 2014
    United States
    Assuming I don't care about online/trophies, and assuming I want to run my backups off the internal HDD, what would be my best method of hacking my PS3? It seems that due to various different SKU's and firmwares out there, it can be difficult to get on the same page as others. So with the conditions above set, I should:

Get a bigger HDD
    Install CFW correct? (Which CFW?)

And I'd assume the instructions for your CFW would tell you how to install your ISO's on the HDD?

2. PhyChris

PhyChris GBAtemp Regular

May 6, 2009
    Canada
    GET IT!! trust me you won't regret it. as soon as you get your 3.55 I would recommend installing rebug 4.65 and when it comes to the bigger HDD you can load games from USB just fine.

plus you can use PSNpatch to get online with your backups without issue

3. DaFixer

DaFixer Dare to be stupid

Aug 29, 2010
    Netherlands
    In my mencave ;)
    I'm also thinking to softmod my PS3 Slim, becase I want to play so many games. But if PSN server go down for the PS3 then I can not download patches for my games.
    So I want to DL all the games I want and update them before the server are closed.
    And I want to play PSN only games forever, and I don't care about online but sometimes I want to update my trophies ;)

4. CheeseCake

CheeseCake GBAtemp Regular

Jul 26, 2014
    United States
    On the Kitchen Table Obviously
    The instructions for CFW installation is mostly the same for any model.
    Some precautions are: turn off Automatic Updating, turn off your Wifi if you must, remove your Game Disc (They have a Ps3_Update folder burned onto them), and finally you should format the USB you use to decrease chances of data corruption when transferring it in Recovery Mode.

If you're really cautious about it, go REBUG 3.55.2 first then use a hombrew called Toggle QA, this will insure a lower chance of bricking when you update to the newer firmware.
    You could also as the person you're buying from to update to CFW for you. What you want is REBUG 4.65.2. Also tell them to dehash it (They'll know what this means since they downgraded the console, using Toggle QA is essentially dehashing if you want to do it yourself.)

There are pkgs of game updates so you don't need to go on PSN for them, you DL from PC instead. It's faster than direct PS3 update and you keep the update on your PC if you need a backup.

5. Rhino Juggler
    OP

Rhino Juggler Member

Newcomer
    Aug 3, 2014
    United States
    is there like a recommended guide to follow for a complete PS3 hack beginner?

6. CheeseCake

Jul 26, 2014
    United States
    There tutorials in the Tutorials and FAQs section. Some of the outdated stuff is still applicable like Cyan's Multiman guide.

I don't want to be a self-advertiser but...
    There's my guide which assumes you're a complete noob that did like 1 hour of research, although it is long as hell because I cover all the general stuff.

I made it last summer so it doesn't cover "ODE," the alternative to CFW that only plays backups and nothing else (No homebrew or free PSN games).

7. DaFixer

DaFixer Dare to be stupid

Aug 29, 2010
    Netherlands
    In my mencave ;)
    And can you play all the games on ext HDD?
    Also the 4gb+ one's?

Do PS2 classic manager work for all PS2 games?

8. CheeseCake

Jul 26, 2014
    United States

DaFixer likes this.