Been wondering for ages, finally bothered to ask.

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Kingfield, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Kingfield
    OP

Member Kingfield GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Whats with the autoboot on most flashcarts, what purpose does it serve?
    Does it bypass signature check or something? and is it removable, with a custom firmware or anything, which would still work after removal?

2. ItsMetaKnight

Member ItsMetaKnight GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Denmark
    It doesn't bypass anything... it's just a flag in the rom header. DS Download Stations use it too.

3. Searinox

Member Searinox Just a taste~ ;3

Romania
    What? I thought it was some kind of exploit in the ROM icon that allowed it to execute arbitrary code, and used it to boot the cart over the screen. My belief however, is almost completly unfounded so I will take your explanation as true... if that's the case and it's a feature implemented by Nintendo then I honestly don't see the point of the thread fearing flashcarts with autoboot will be broken by the DSi. =\

4. Kingfield
    OP

Member Kingfield GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    yeah, that definately changed my opinion. Maybe the old flashcarts might still work ._.

5. spectral

spectral Newbie

Its a feature of the DS but they might change it for the DSi and simply change the way download stations for the DSi work. All this speculating is pointless, nobody has any idea what will/wont work on the DSi as nothing is known about how it works. Tbh I cant even see why anyone would want a DSi over a lite. The DSi just seems like some random ideas cobbled together. Sure it has some improvements but most of them are so minor its almost a joke and the lack of a GBA slot is a reall deal breaker imo.