Hacking Been researching for a few days, still not sure..

AlmostCrimes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently bought a DS Lite, and came across a review for the G6. I thought it was cool to be able to store all the games on a flash card so you don't have to constantly carry and switch out games (which sorta ruins the portability of portable consoles).

Anyways, I want a reader that can play DS and GBA games primarily, with very high compatibility. I also want very good SNES and NES emulation. It needs WiFi support.

I think the M3 is the best for me. However, I think there's more than one version... M3 Simply, M3 Perfect?

There's also the issue of a compatible flash card, and then trying to find the cheapest price online...

I really didn't want to ask for help, but I just need some back up from someone who's experienced so I don't waste a lot of money on something that I'll be unhappy with.

Thanks
bow.gif

AlmostCrimes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I think I want to go with the M3, but trying to find the right thing for sale is the problem I'm having...

So far I've seen M3 Lite, M3 Lite Professional, M3 Lite Perfect, M3 Simply, M3 Perfect Simply, M3 Real, M3 Lite + R4 (why would you need both?) and most of these come with a flash card, when all I want is the reader (I intend on buying the Sandisk 2GB card from Amazon)

What the heck is the difference between all these and what do I need?

ZeWarriorReturnz

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
M3 Slot - 1's cannot play GBA games. Slot 2 can play GBA games. And there's no such thing as a Perfect Simply. It's just M3 DS Simply. M3 Lite = M3 Lite Perfect, M3 Lite Professional is a slot 2 than can only play DS games and is alot cheaper than the perfect but the perfect had RAM which if necessary for the Opera Browser. Also all Slot-2's except the Pro Series are the same.

HipN

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think SNES/NES emulation is perfect yet. I would go with an R4 or M3 Simply with a slot-2 cart for GBA games.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well I think I want to go with the M3, but trying to find the right thing for sale is the problem I'm having...

So far I've seen M3 Lite, M3 Lite Professional, M3 Lite Perfect, M3 Simply, M3 Perfect Simply, M3 Real, M3 Lite + R4 (why would you need both?) and most of these come with a flash card, when all I want is the reader (I intend on buying the Sandisk 2GB card from Amazon)

What the heck is the difference between all these and what do I need?
I'll explain the ones that you mention:

M3 Lite: Slot 2 (GBA slot) cartridge. Uses MicroSD. There are to versions: Pro and Perfect
M3 Lite Professional: M3 Lite version designed to be cheap. It lacks GBA-support but can play DS-games.
M3 Lite Perfect: M3 Lite version with RAM. Thanks to this it can run both DS- and GBA-games. It can be used as RAM-pak if you use a Slot1 card.
M3 Perfect Simply: hmm? doesn't exist. I think you mean the M3 Simply. This is a Slot 1 card. Uses MicroSD too. You can run DS games really easy (drag and drop) but there is no GBA support.
M3 Real: isn't confirmed. It should be a Slot 1 card with RAM or something...
R4: same as M3 Simply.

There are good NES-emulators for GBA, and good SNES-emulators for DS.

So: you need a Slot2-card, as you want GBA- and NES-games.
Now you have to choices:
- Buy a passcard to boot the Slot 2-card in DS-mode (for DS-games and SNES-emulators)
- Buy a M3 Simply or R4, and play DS games on it. It has great cheat support and can boot to slot 2 if you want. It can run a hacked browser.

Passcards are about 20 euros. If you search well you can find an R4 for 35 euros.

I would go for the R4 instead of the passcard. It isn't much more expansive, but much easier to use. I have the same combi: M3 Simply and M3 Lite Perfect.

Edit: with the M3 Simply / R4 you get a MicroSD-card reader. You don't get it with only a M3 Lite.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The M3 Real is meant to be identical to the G6 Real, except that it uses external memory. A 3in1 pack is currently being developed for the M3/G6 Real, and this may also be compatible with other slot1 cards (similar to how the ez expansion is being utilised)

AlmostCrimes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So maybe my best bet is something like the R4 for a slot 1 and the M3 Lite for a slot 2? I wanted to get just one reader to cut down on cost, but I also want as much support and functions as I can get..

Also the M3 Lite says it supports NDS-GBA linking which I assume is like what Pokemon uses, which I would like.

Is there a better way to get high NDS/GBA/Homebrew + older console emulation?

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Yea, if you want to cut costs you could use a EZ Flash IV lite deluxe
it approx half the price of M3 lite and its got everything you need except a RTC
Pokemon only uses that though, and you can just patch it

rtc = real time clock (only applies to gba)

R4 has great homebrew support since the later firmwareupdates have added auto DLDI patching

AlmostCrimes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean by "you can just patch it"? How do you get around games like Pokemon not being able to use the RTC?

Also, I read that CycloDS Evolution is the only Slot 1 reader that support Download Play... but what exactly is Download Play?

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Other cards support it, but they don't support as many titles (cycloDS is 100% at the moment, others are somewhere near 60%).

Patching an RTC based game allows you to set a permanent time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?